Proposal: Fleury for Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
i'm still not sure if it's coincidence that fleury hasn't been strong in the playoffs since bylsma took over or not.

That .880 against ottawa in 2007 wasn't all that bad given that fleury was one of the best pens in the series. They were just completely overpowered by a very good senators team.

2000-2001 (qmjhl): .810
2001-2002 (qmjhl): .900
2002-2003 (qmjhl): .894
2003-2004 (qmjhl): .886
2003-2004 (ahl): .800
2004-2005 (ahl): .843
2005-2006 (ahl): .883
2006-2007 (nhl): .880
2007-2008 (nhl): .933
2008-2009 (nhl): .908
2009-2010 (nhl): .891
2010-2011 (nhl): .899
2011-2012 (nhl): .834
2012-2013 (nhl): .883

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
2000-2001 (qmjhl): .810
2001-2002 (qmjhl): .900
2002-2003 (qmjhl): .894
2003-2004 (qmjhl): .886
2003-2004 (ahl): .800
2004-2005 (ahl): .843
2005-2006 (ahl): .883
2006-2007 (nhl): .880
2007-2008 (nhl): .933
2008-2009 (nhl): .908
2009-2010 (nhl): .891
2010-2011 (nhl): .899
2011-2012 (nhl): .834
2012-2013 (nhl): .883

It will take a few years for that head guy to actually work. This is YEARS of him being garbage in the playoffs. You ain't going to suddenly get an epifany(sp?) and snap out of this head game, he may never get out of it and he does not seem that commited to trying anyway. Ohwell, he's got his cup i guess.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm still not sure if it's coincidence that Fleury hasn't been strong in the playoffs since Bylsma took over or not.

That .880 against Ottawa in 2007 wasn't all that bad given that Fleury was one of the best Pens in the series. They were just completely overpowered by a very good Senators team.

Considering Fleury flunked even worse under Todd Richards, who just coached a Vezina winner, it's fair to say that Bylsma has little to do with Fleury's failures.

With what kind of regularity? Outside of the Islanders series, how many times has Fleury actually put pucks into his own net? The only one that jumps to mind is the Talbot goal last year. The one against Detroit in 2008 was unfortunate, but it was a goalie doing what he's trained to.

He threw a Claude Giroux centering pass into the net against Philadelphia.

Last edited:

Inklings

and you feel shame
Feb 8, 2007
www.myspace.com
Sabres arnt going to give up Miller until around the trade deadline if at all. With that being said. They also might be willing to to retain some salary but it wold cost us a bit more. If we are making a push this year and Fluery isnt leading everything goalie stat related id be all for it.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Fleury is the more athletic goaltender with higher upside if he ever got his head together.

Miller is the more headstrong take no **** personality this team could use in a G.

ObsessedCreative*

It really is staggering that a guy could consistently put up numbers like that and still have a starting job at the end of it.

bylsma1_330.jpg
- "NEVER underestimate my stupidity!"

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
How Fleury has as much as 30% of the vote is beyond amazing.

didn't know Dan Blysma had that many alias's he logs in as here...

agreed. if the orginal question is embraced, i.e. you could have miller in net or fleury with no other roster/cap considerations. How you pick Fleury is beyond me.

I'm not even sure that Fleury will be that work horse 40 win guy again this year. He looks awful right now in net. I know it's preseason and preseason means little, BUT for a goalie it does mean something.

Some shots he looks strong, explosive and athletic other shots he looks like a little league kid staring off at the stands while a pop fly lands beside him.

He is the ultimate box of chocolates, you'll never know what you'll get...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
didn't know Dan Blysma had that many alias's he logs in as here...

agreed. if the orginal question is embraced, i.e. you could have miller in net or fleury with no other roster/cap considerations. How you pick Fleury is beyond me.

I'm not even sure that Fleury will be that work horse 40 win guy again this year. He looks awful right now in net. I know it's preseason and preseason means little, BUT for a goalie it does mean something.

Some shots he looks strong, explosive and athletic other shots he looks like a little league kid staring off at the stands while a pop fly lands beside him.

He is the ultimate box of chocolates, you'll never know what you'll get...

What's reall frustrating is that you can see his natural talent shine through in 1-on-1 situations. Fleury may be one of the best breakaway/shootout goalie in the NHL, but he seems to have so much trouble tracking pucks and often over-exaggerates his lateral movements (which should be a strength but is often a hinderance).

As for being a 40 win guy, there's a good chance he'll continue to be a 40 win guy in the regular season because he can rack up 10-15 shootout wins a season.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Not so much amazing as predictable. Every fan-base has a group of people who are more or less sentimental in their thinking and who don't pay that much attention to other teams' players, so naturally favor ours in polls like this. To most of the 30% MAF will always be that likable guy who won the Cup with his "diving save" in 2009, and therefore allegiance to him counts more than anything else. Admirable in the era of free agent sports but ultimately misguided. Then again some people feel better about supporting a team when the players on that team are people who they respect / like as individuals... so all depends on why you watch.

To use a football analogy some people might prefer to have a likable, decent QB on their team rather than someone who is more skilled but who they perceive to be a pompous dewshbag. Put another way, if Fleury did not have such a likable personality, I bet the vast majority of Penguin fans (even the knucklehead fans on Facebook or wherever) would rag on him relentlessly (and it would've started a couple years ago).

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think Miller would take a pay cut to play here. Taking Miller means letting even more of our depth go.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I don't think Miller would take a pay cut to play here. Taking Miller means letting even more of our depth go.

reality is that Quick makes less then Miller.
There is no way he gets Quick money on a cup contending team. (5.8M cap hit)

OTH, we are paying 7M for a goal tending. LA is paying 6.3M. If Vokoun is done, and we have a normally priced backup goalie i.e. South of 1M we could actually pay top dollar for a goalie aka a lundqvist.
Especially considering we already allocate as much as we do and that the cap is going up considerable next season.

Now, how much you have to give Buffalo to pry him outta there, dunno. But as the trade deadline approaches that'll go down more and more.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I'm one of the 30%. The option was the devil you know versus the one you don't. I'd rather go with the devil I know, although, honestly I'd have liked to have had a third option that involved neither of them.

Why Flower over Miller? It's Flower's playoff performance that's the issue, and honestly, Miller's sample size isn't enough to convince me he'd be any better. He also hasn't been in the playoffs for a couple of years or gotten past the second round for even longer.

Miller is also on the last year of his deal and has a cap hit of 1.25 million more than Flower. What kind of assets would we have to give up?

It's not really a popularity contest for me, but Miller never really comes off well in the interviews I've seen of him. He's either whining or *****ing it seems, so while that wouldn't be the main reason, more a tertiary one, how he'd fit with the team for a single season has to be considered, too.

So, yup, devil I know. At least in this case.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This isn't a fair question because we don't have the cap space to trade for Miller without further weakening our roster. So, Fleury it is.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Where is the motivation for the Sabres to take an inferior goaltender with massive issues above the neck? We would have to add at LEAST a first rounder, so that should be a non-starter for me.

Only way Buffalo wants to do this is if they absolutely want to tank for the next two seasons to set themselves up for the Connor McDavid sweepstakes. And I doubt that's Pegula's plan.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I dunno... I think McDavid would look swell in a Buffalo jersey.

That said I don't think it would take a 1st rounder added in, but I don't think they'd do it either because Miller is just a better goalie, plain and simple. Even if he's grumpy all the time.

The theory goes "both goalies need a change in scenery to improve their game", but it's a pretty iffy theory. Works for the poll's purposes though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Where is the motivation for the Sabres to take an inferior goaltender with massive issues above the neck? We would have to add at LEAST a first rounder, so that should be a non-starter for me.

Only way Buffalo wants to do this is if they absolutely want to tank for the next two seasons to set themselves up for the Connor McDavid sweepstakes. And I doubt that's Pegula's plan.

A top 4 defenseman? A veteran one at that. Orpik.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Quick story about the Miller/Fleury swap rumors. I live in Rochester where the Amerks play who are the affiliate for Buffalo. My uncle was at his kids soccer game last night and was chatting with Rob Kopacz who is the VP of the Amerks. According to him the Sabres and Penguins have been discussing a goaltender swap with the Pens also sending draft picks to Buffalo. I think it all matters on how both goalies perform out of the gates. Shero will target a true number 1 via trade I think before signing some washed up vet.

It's pretty obvious Buffalo is in a mini rebuild and the chances Miller re-signs there will be slim so with them and the pens brass losing trust in MAF I think its a good fit for both teams.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
But again, why do the Sabres take Fleury? They have Enroth and Hackett, presumably to take over once Miller is dealt/leaves via FA. Why would they want to saddle themselves with Fleury? How is he part of their rebuild? Why not just let Miller walk instead? Better than Fleury's contract, that's for sure.

If what you're saying has legs, we're going to have to send quality picks their way for the Sabres to bite here.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
Not so much amazing as predictable. Every fan-base has a group of people who are more or less sentimental in their thinking and who don't pay that much attention to other teams' players, so naturally favor ours in polls like this. To most of the 30% MAF will always be that likable guy who won the Cup with his "diving save" in 2009, and therefore allegiance to him counts more than anything else. Admirable in the era of free agent sports but ultimately misguided. Then again some people feel better about supporting a team when the players on that team are people who they respect / like as individuals... so all depends on why you watch.

To use a football analogy some people might prefer to have a likable, decent QB on their team rather than someone who is more skilled but who they perceive to be a pompous dewshbag. Put another way, if Fleury did not have such a likable personality, I bet the vast majority of Penguin fans (even the knucklehead fans on Facebook or wherever) would rag on him relentlessly (and it would've started a couple years ago).

Very well written.

There is no shortage of individuals who do not have the capacity to think, analyze, and act objectively vs. subjectively. Subjective evaluation (personal perception) is far from limited to hockey analysis and creates a virtual death spiral for life achievements. It is for all of us to think objectively (as a reasonably prudent person in the same or similar circumstances) and statistically note the improved outcome in general.

Again, your post is exceedingly insightful and on point! :handclap:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Very well written.

There is no shortage of individuals who do not have the capacity to think, analyze, and act objectively vs. subjectively. Subjective evaluation (personal perception) is far from limited to hockey analysis and creates a virtual death spiral for life achievements. It is for all of us to think objectively (as a reasonably prudent person in the same or similar circumstances) and statistically note the improved outcome in general.

Again, your post is exceedingly insightful and on point! :handclap:

I am going to dig deep with my words of wisdom here.

Statistics proves that 50% of the population have below average intelligence.

It is really a coin toss if you are in a flame war with one of them. Also note that it is the same coin toss that you could be one of them too :)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
But again, why do the Sabres take Fleury? They have Enroth and Hackett, presumably to take over once Miller is dealt/leaves via FA. Why would they want to saddle themselves with Fleury? How is he part of their rebuild? Why not just let Miller walk instead? Better than Fleury's contract, that's for sure.

If what you're saying has legs, we're going to have to send quality picks their way for the Sabres to bite here.

MAF is just about equal to Bryz and we just saw what league he has to play in: (ECHL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad