Proposal: Fleury for Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Both goalies need a new team to start over again. It would be the best thing for the players but who knows which one would get their head together first.

Miller is just a better goalie that Fleury imo, so I think its a win for us either way even if he's not really good and just less terrible. :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Miller is a better goalie IMO but I never really liked the guy. Personally i'd wait and go the UFA route next summer if Flower keeps up his pathetic play

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Both goalies need a new team to start over again. It would be the best thing for the players but who knows which one would get their head together first.
I was thinking the same thing but at least MAF doesn't throw his team under the bus every year.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I was thinking the same thing but at least MAF doesn't throw his team under the bus every year.

Yeah and as we all know, everybody feeling good is the top priority in this hockey club. :handclap:

On a serious note, I don't see how someone could choose Fleury over Miller. Ever.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I'll take the jerk who can at least be average at stopping pucks over the nice guy that kicks pucks into his own net with regularity.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Why would any team trade for the worst starting #1 goaltender to be their starting goaltender?

MAF would pass through waivers if sent down. Don't kid yourself into thinking he has any value with that contract of his.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This team is used to average to **** goaltending. Personally, I'd rather start spending less on that position, pick up a young cheap starter to pair with a vet like Vokoun. Spend the cap savings up front.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The Penguins would have to shed a bit more salary to accommodate Miller's contract, but if that can be worked out, I'm all for it. If the hypothetical deal is based around Fleury for Miller, add in Niskanen and maybe one other roster player and you're probably not far off in value (assuming Miller's is higher than Fleury's).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Miller has his warts but he's a better goalie than Fleury and always has been on balance. The question is whether he's worth the extra salary burden. But in the playoffs he would be better for us (read: less unpredictable and less likely to flail around and kick pucks into his own net) than Fleury. There's not even a question, and Miller has never played on a team as deep as ours so that could help potentially. I don't think he'd be likely to steal many games for us but he's also much less likely to implode. The problem is Miller can be prone to throwing teammates under the bus, which is more or less the opposite of Fleury, so not sure Miller would be welcome here... but in a vacuum he'd be the better choice.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The problem is Miller can be prone to throwing teammates under the bus, which is more or less the opposite of Fleury, so not sure Miller would be welcome here... but in a vacuum he'd be the better choice.

Miller throwing teammates under the bus is a more correctable behaviour than Fleury scoring on himself and having a breakdown once he realizes it's the playoffs.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
ha. i guess most of you missed this thread on the Buffalo board.

of course fans don't dictate the terms of a trade, but most of the people over there weren't willing to take a MAF + Bennett for Miller + Ennis swap.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1501791

To me the thing that kills the original proposal, from a reasonable point of view, is Buffalo eating half of Miller's salary.

For me as a Penguins fan the thing that kills it is including Bennett at all.

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
i'd feel more comfortable with Miller, but it'd be kinda like upgrading from a broken 2005 Chevy Camaro to a broken 2012 Chevy Camaro.

2005 Camaro disappeared like Flower in the playoffs....

All said and done if it was a straight swap my answer would be Yes. No way it's a straight swap and wouldn't hurt the Pens more than it would help(cap/+ players we would have to add in trade, etc etc).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Miller could return to form, he's the best goaltender in the NHL. That's a big if though. He is also getting up there in age, and at 33, very possible his best hockey is behind him.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Miller has his warts but he's a better goalie than Fleury and always has been on balance. The question is whether he's worth the extra salary burden. But in the playoffs he would be better for us (read: less unpredictable and less likely to flail around and kick pucks into his own net) than Fleury. There's not even a question, and Miller has never played on a team as deep as ours so that could help potentially. I don't think he'd be likely to steal many games for us but he's also much less likely to implode. The problem is Miller can be prone to throwing teammates under the bus, which is more or less the opposite of Fleury, so not sure Miller would be welcome here... but in a vacuum he'd be the better choice.

I believe before his last playoffs he played like 64 games; his team had only lost by more than 2 goals twice? Or it might have been by 2 or more goals.

It was an absolutely ridiculous statistic. Miller can play goal at "best in the world" levels. Fleury has barely broken the top ten threshold.

I will remember him always for game five (5) in '08, which was and is, the best Penguin playoff goaltending I've seen, including Tugnut.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why is it staggering? Bylsma still has a job for an almost equally futile playoff showing the last four years.

I'm still not sure if it's coincidence that Fleury hasn't been strong in the playoffs since Bylsma took over or not.

That .880 against Ottawa in 2007 wasn't all that bad given that Fleury was one of the best Pens in the series. They were just completely overpowered by a very good Senators team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I'll take the jerk who can at least be average at stopping pucks over the nice guy that kicks pucks into his own net with regularity.

With what kind of regularity? Outside of the Islanders series, how many times has Fleury actually put pucks into his own net? The only one that jumps to mind is the Talbot goal last year. The one against Detroit in 2008 was unfortunate, but it was a goalie doing what he's trained to.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why would any team trade for the worst starting #1 goaltender to be their starting goaltender?

MAF would pass through waivers if sent down. Don't kid yourself into thinking he has any value with that contract of his.

His contract prevents him from being placed on waivers, so your point is moot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With what kind of regularity? Outside of the Islanders series, how many times has Fleury actually put pucks into his own net? The only one that jumps to mind is the Talbot goal last year. The one against Detroit in 2008 was unfortunate, but it was a goalie doing what he's trained to.

fine, then he just gives up goals on pucks that I could stop in my roller hockey defenseman gear.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
He might. I'm 100% sure Shero kicked around the trade MAF tires. No one was biting. No one probably even sniffed the bait.

Shero said he received some calls about Fleury but the offers he received were laughably low. Basically, Fleury's reached the point where he's more valuable to the Pens than he is on the trade market.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Shero said he received some calls about Fleury but the offers he received were laughably low. Basically, Fleury's reached the point where he's more valuable to the Pens than he is on the trade market.

If it gets rid of that 5M i say let the guy go. The Michalek trade was bad but it was because he wanted to be traded and because the Yotes gave us likely the only deal that had us not getting cap back in return. Same thing for Fleury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad