Proposal: Fleury for Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
A commendable approach, good sir. However my point about why most fans who choose someone like Fleury over Miller, actually make that choice, stands. :)

I'd rather trade for Lehner:

1) Will be entering his prime in a couple years (younger) and is likely to be cheaper even with a new "bridge contract".

2) Anderson is a bit overrated IMO -- Ottawa's team D has a lot to do with his success. Lehner will likely become the kind of goalie teams can lean on when their D struggles.

3) Will cost less than trading for Anderson and even if it's the same cost, I'd still rather have the younger guy with the big upside and already some proof that he's worthy of it.

That said the odds a young team like Ottawa will trade their young stud-G-in-waiting when he's an RFA, are purrty darn slim. Truth be told there's not much chance that Anderson won't get an extension, and not much chance either will be traded anytime soon. That's a great tandem to have. Anderson can keep mentoring Lehner, Lehner can keep getting solid back-up duty learning the ropes, neither will cost that much to re-sign relative to other big goalies, and Ottawa has the space. Meanwhile they'll get "big goalie benefits" as long as they keep playing this style of hockey.

I can't even imagine why Ottawa would trade Lehner for any reason. He's going to be their number one for a long time going forward. The time to trade for an Ottawa goalie was at last year's deadline. Back then would've been the time to snipe him. But hey, we snooze, we lose.

To be honest, I'm slightly surprised by the results. More lopsided than I anticipated. I still foresee this being a possibility, especially with Buffalo looking like huge sellers again, even this early in the season.

PensBrony 6 9*

Carlson is a prospect who may be a number one defenceman, someday. Letang is a number one defenceman. Letang is only 26. That's the same age as Sid. There is absolutely nothing there, even if Carlson was looking better.

Lundqvist will be paid money we can't afford by someone, if he even decides to leave NYR (seems unlikely anyways).

I don't think I'd call Letang a true number one. He has too many defensive lapses and his mental makeup is questionable at best (kind of a problem with this whole team when you think about it). Carlson is bigger, stronger, and better defensively and if you look at his stats he's putting up more points per game than Letang was at his age.

Yes on Lundvist, no on Letang. I think depending on the cap and what he wants we could make Lundvist work. Lundvist :cry:. IDK why you would want to lose Letang on the chance that a prospect could be a cheaper version of him in x amount of years.

At this point, I think Letang is just a more expensive version of Carlson except worse. I'm tired of seeing him lose his cool in the playoffs and cost us games. I'm tired of seeing him pinch at the wrong time or miss an assignment and cost us goals. you don't need to put up a point per game to be a good defenseman. Carlson looks like he's getting there and he can actually play defense. All for less money.

I think we're all looking through rose-colored glasses on Letang because we don't want to believe that was a bad contract. Now we have like 25 million wrapped up in 3 people and it's going to be hard to keep any breakout prospect we end up with, let alone playing the FA market. Sid still doesn't have a winger.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I can't even imagine why Ottawa would trade Lehner for any reason. He's going to be their number one for a long time going forward. The time to trade for an Ottawa goalie was at last year's deadline. Back then would've been the time to snipe him. But hey, we snooze, we lose.

To be honest, I'm slightly surprised by the results. More lopsided than I anticipated. I still foresee this being a possibility, especially with Buffalo looking like huge sellers again, even this early in the season.

Even last year, Lehner wouldn't have been a possibility. They were dealing Bishop all the way.

If Fleury keeps playing well (he won't), then contending teams would want him more than a winless team like the Sabres.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet 23m
NHL Trade Rumours Roundup: #Oilers reportedly in talks to acquire Miller & Vanek from #Sabres: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...r-trade-ryan-miller-tomas-vanek-nail-yakupov/

So much for anyone dreaming of getting Miller. With Buffalo in rebuild mode and Edmonton chalk full of young talent, there's no way the Pens could ever put together a package that could compete with Edmonton's.

Sabres Talk @sabres_talk
#Oilers and #Sabres are in very serious talks now about Vanek and Miller. Two big prospects are what would be coming back. Likely Yakupov ++

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I don't believe this. Why would Miller want to go to Edmonton? It's neither closer to LA nor are they some sort of contender for anything. Also, why Vanek? He barely brings anything the Oilers need. Additionally, they both are UFAs soon and don't come cheap cap-wise.
I just don't see it.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
According to Kypreos...

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Note with trade talk, #Sabres Ryan Miller does have a limited no trade clause and #Oilers are one of the teams on his no trade list.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't believe this. Why would Miller want to go to Edmonton? It's neither closer to LA nor are they some sort of contender for anything. Also, why Vanek? He barely brings anything the Oilers need. Additionally, they both are UFAs soon and don't come cheap cap-wise.
I just don't see it.

The Oilers aren't exactly a well-managed team. Shouldn't surprise anyone if they got someone they don't need in Vanek.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Why are we even thinking about this? Fleury has been playing great as of late show some support you haters. Fleury for miller? Miller is about to be washed up give him a few more years...fleury has his whole career ahead of him

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Didn't want to start a new thread for this one either.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...eryone-look-stupid-season-200351018--nhl.html

So Varlamov put up respectably average numbers over his NHL career prior to this season. In the off-season, the Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as head coach and Francois Allaire as goaltending coach - bringing in arguably the greatest goaltender (Roy) and greatest goaltending coach (Allaire) in NHL history.

Suddenly, Varlamov looks impenetrable but it doesn't stop there - JS Giguere seems to have found the fountain of youth after being reunited with his former long-time goalie coach. Though he's only played one game thus far, Giguere was fantastic in a 39 save shutout over Boston.

While this doesn't directly apply to the Penguins, it's just another illustration of the kind of impact coaching changes can have on a goaltender's performance. In the case of Fleury, the changes we've seen under Bales have been very positive - he looks calm and composed, his positioning has been excellent, and he's playing the puck much better. Just another reason why you dump the goalie coach before you dump a talented goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad