Fleury Brings Back Yellow Pads (for alternate jerseys)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It might not, but it gives the shooter an advantage to locate where the goal and goalie is under fast paced games. Ever wondered why tennis balls are yellow?

but the goalie doesn't really go anywhere, and he's pretty big compared to a tennis ball.

It doesn't have any impact on the goalie. It has an impact on the shooter.

I'm not convinced that it does.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
The new gear is certainly eye catching, but I love it. The mask does have an old school Barrasso feel to it. I just hope its a better season for Fleury.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Looks like Voltron, but with all yellow lions

voltron1.jpg

For this '80s kid, that couldn't be sweeter.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
LOL at the size of the Pads and Glove. Good to see that the NHL is cracking down on goalie equipment..

Honestly the knee pads arent as horrible as they used to be.... but the glove and blocker are obscene. There's more of an arguement to reduce those down A LOT. The protection excuse doesn't work there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly the knee pads arent as horrible as they used to be.... but the glove and blocker are obscene. There's more of an arguement to reduce those down A LOT. The protection excuse doesn't work there.

I hear there is a new helmet model coming out next year league-wide

darkhelmet.jpg

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I agree, but the biggest area is the body of the goalie. They wear an extended shell, look at how tight Barrasso's jersey is and take a look at the Voltron Goalie by comparison. Crazy

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

...says the guy who's never played goalie before.

Today's gloves and blockers are the smallest they've been in decades.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Seeing him in these pads again just reminds me of Ricky Vaughn in Major League II, I'd wet myself if they played "Wild Thing" the first time he takes the ice with the new gear and third jersey.
sheenx-large.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

- Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cool. What facts are there? Who has collected the data to prove that colored pads are easier to shoot against? I've never seen any sort of evidence to support the idea that colored pads are easier to shoot against. I'd be pretty easily swayed by legitimate data on this topic.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

You must have been born with a deformity if your blocker hand is 2 foot piece of plywood.

Yeah you're right, I've never played goal, but I play d, and get to see plenty of them. The catching gloves in some cases are big enough to fit a basketball.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You must have been born with a deformity if your blocker hand is 2 foot piece of plywood.

Yeah you're right, I've never played goal, but I play d, and get to see plenty of them. The catching gloves in some cases are big enough to fit a basketball.

seriously though, NHL goalie gloves are smaller than they used to be. Its not really something to debate. Read the rules. Glove limitations have made them smaller.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

LOL, pull up a picture of Barrasso's glove in comparison to Fleury's bro..... The new glove is 3 times the size. "decades"..... LOL do people actually believe their own opinions???

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
When did Fleurry change from the Yellow Pads?

Perhaps this is a small part of him remaining in a good place mentally.

I want the happy go lucky Fleurry back before the playoff melt downs.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
cool. What facts are there? Who has collected the data to prove that colored pads are easier to shoot against? I've never seen any sort of evidence to support the idea that colored pads are easier to shoot against. I'd be pretty easily swayed by legitimate data on this topic.

Read the article posted above.

In split second decisions on where to shoot, the eye sees something bright yellow and tells the brain that it isn't open net.

The with of the blocker stops the off angle shots that would hit the side of the hand if it weren't there. The gloves are that size to allow goalies to catch the puck without it actually hitting their hand most of the time. If they were smaller the thickness around the hand would have to be that of the blocker, which would be worthless.

Because you obviously don't understand how the glove and blocker protect a goalie (not just make saves) you shouldn't be making declarations on how and why the league should alter the pads.

And again, gloves and blockers are currently smaller than they've been in decades.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
LOL, pull up a picture of Barrasso's glove in comparison to Fleury's bro..... The new glove is 3 times the size. "decades"..... LOL do people actually believe their own opinions???

LOL Gladly LOL

tom_barrasso_54.jpg

barrasso.jpg

tom_barrasso_76.jpg

img-167700-m.jpg

tom_barrasso_118.jpg

Those pads, glove and blocker are all bigger than what is currently legal in today's NHL, LOL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This thread went from celebrating a beautiful throw back mask and gear to a bunch of people *****ing like old ladies at a market to anyone that would listen because everyone they know is tired of their **** and they need new people.

Except we're not new people.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This thread went from celebrating a beautiful throw back mask and gear to a bunch of people *****ing like old ladies at a market to anyone that would listen because everyone they know is tired of their **** and they need new people.

That's not a very nice thing to say

Last edited:

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013

heh.

i was never a fan Fleury's old bright yellow pads but with the new third jersey it actually makes sense colour-wise.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Kinda ironic that Fleury is wearing yellow pads with Barrasso's helmet design when Barrasso was the original inventor of the all white design.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A lot of goaltenders wore the all white pads from what I can remember, I think a few had stripe patterns on it like some still do today, but I remember I think Irbe as always having all white pads as well as Tommy B.

They were still terrible at stopping pucks and had a high GAA by today's standards. Colored pads haven't hurt the ones that use them, I doubt it really makes as much of a difference as people think it does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad