Fleury Brings Back Yellow Pads (for alternate jerseys)

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It doesn't have any impact on the goalie. It has an impact on the shooter.

Color has a huge impact on coordination. If a player is looking down at the puck and looks up to shoot and sees a white jersey, white helmet, white glove but vibrant yellow pads, it's going to affect his shot especially when people shoot quickly. Your brain automatically puts it attention on the yellow, because it's so different from everything else in your vision.

Humans aren't made to play hockey, they're made for survival. When your pushing so hard to skate, your body thinks your running from prey or hunting. Coming down the Wing, adrenaline rushing, you will notice the yellow against the white. It makes sense that your brain focuses its attention on something so different from everything else in your vision, or else you wouldn't be able to react fast enough to avoid danger.

I guess it would also help if the goalie with the yellow pads stood still before the player takes a shot, and make slight irrregular movement before the player shoots. That will also throw the shooters focus off.

It's really surprising that goalies don't do this. Players aren't standing and focusing before they shoot, they move around fast and shoot without thinking. It's very easy to throw someones movement and aim off when the player in question is relying on reflex's and instinct, because they're made for surviving.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I think gist of this goalie pad color/shooting accuracy argument can be summed up in one bar chart:

18calq4ybym0sjpg.jpg

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
It might not, but it gives the shooter an advantage to locate where the goal and goalie is under fast paced games. Ever wondered why tennis balls are yellow?

my thought is that it might draw the attention of the shooter to the pads and increase the chances of them shooting where they're looking

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
Everyone arguing about the color switch realizes that he's only using these pads with the new 3rd jerseys, right?

So, what, 8 regular season games? Even if the color difference increases opposing shooters a SH% bump of 5%, which is waaaaay generous, the odds of it effecting the result of a game are tiny, and the odds of that single game affecting whether or not they make the playoffs are even smaller.

So regardless of whether the color theory is right, it really doesn't matter at all in this case.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Dig Greiss' pads. Love Flower's helmet.

He should have brought back the old Wregget

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Dig Greiss' pads. Love Flower's helmet.

He should have brought back the old Wregget

I'm not feeling Greiss's pads. Very plain and boring for the 3rds. I would have liked to seen the same design on his regular pads but in the 3rd's colors.

I do however agree with Fleury's mask. Very cool to honor Tommy B. and that era.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
That article is just one guy with a little bit of authority making an assertion. At one point people with authority claimed the Earth was flat, yet it wasn't true.

It's not just "one guy" or just one article.

Karen Muncey, CEO of Dynamic Edge Sports Vision, has studied it and had this to say on the subject:

"It just gives you a clearer view of what your target should be, and that's not the pads but the space around them," said Muncey. "It would make the five-hole easier to see. ...

"The lighter the pads, and if there is a little bit of a pattern within the pad that is not a deep colour but a grey off-shading colour or light white, then the pads just blend into the background and it doesn't give the shooter a clear shot of the target."
http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjour....html?id=7b016007-894c-434e-bac4-2cf0b42586f7

Honestly, it's just common sense.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Color has a huge impact on coordination. If a player is looking down at the puck and looks up to shoot and sees a white jersey, white helmet, white glove but vibrant yellow pads, it's going to affect his shot especially when people shoot quickly. Your brain automatically puts it attention on the yellow, because it's so different from everything else in your vision.

Humans aren't made to play hockey, they're made for survival. When your pushing so hard to skate, your body thinks your running from prey or hunting. Coming down the Wing, adrenaline rushing, you will notice the yellow against the white. It makes sense that your brain focuses its attention on something so different from everything else in your vision, or else you wouldn't be able to react fast enough to avoid danger.

I guess it would also help if the goalie with the yellow pads stood still before the player takes a shot, and make slight irrregular movement before the player shoots. That will also throw the shooters focus off.

It's really surprising that goalies don't do this. Players aren't standing and focusing before they shoot, they move around fast and shoot without thinking. It's very easy to throw someones movement and aim off when the player in question is relying on reflex's and instinct, because they're made for surviving.

You need to realize that these guys don't look down very often. They can stick handle with their eyes closed, so there isn't a need to look down. They have their heads up almost always, so it isn't like racing down the wing they have to look up to locate the goal, pads, etc. They know exactly where everything is. The only difference with colors is that white gives the appearance of being "bigger" to the subconscious, where as a color like black gives a "slimming" look, even though consciously we know they are the same size.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It's not just "one guy" or just one article.

Karen Muncey, CEO of Dynamic Edge Sports Vision, has studied it and had this to say on the subject:

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjour....html?id=7b016007-894c-434e-bac4-2cf0b42586f7

Honestly, it's just common sense.

This assumes MAF is in the net, and in proper position. The yellow pads may provide "train wreck" factor to the shooters and distract them as he's flopping around by the Zamboni door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGz9UoKOKo

Yellow pads would've worked here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This assumes MAF is in the net, and in proper position. The yellow pads may provide "train wreck" factor to the shooters and distract them as he's flopping around by the Zamboni door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGz9UoKOKo

Yellow pads would've worked here.

Is this the trash Fleury thread? I could have sworn we were discussing his pad color and mask design.

Last edited:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
and does it make any appreciable difference? Its not like these guys don't know where the goal is. And they are skating with their heads up almost always.

Yes, it does make a difference. Knowing where the goal is and knowing where open net is are two different things. Also, having your head up doesn't mean they're looking at the net the whole time. There's; the puck, teammates, opponents, boards, in addition to the net and goalie's position. You're acting like guys take 5 seconds to examine every shot they take.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yes, it does make a difference. Knowing where the goal is and knowing where open net is are two different things. Also, having your head up doesn't mean they're looking at the net the whole time. There's; the puck, teammates, opponents, boards, in addition to the net and goalie's position. You're acting like guys take 5 seconds to examine every shot they take.

Yep. A player's shot will be more accurate the more time they are focused on the target. Yellow pads let the shooter more quickly identify their target. This is also true in basketball. Obviously, a player knows where the basket is, but the longer a player is looking at the basket before shooting, the more accurate they are.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I'm saying they don't need 5 seconds to examine every shot they take.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I thought this was the goalie equipment and colour of equipment thread.

If I was a goalie I'd go for an optical illusion or something overpowering for the eyes.

Flower's pads look pretty overpowering to me. They look like giant bright blocks of Kraft cheese (the really unnatural orange kind). My eyes are still trying to recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad