GDT: Flams vs Panthers... rnd II

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ritchie is a tweener on the roster and we could afford his loss. If you're going to fill the guy in, at least get your money's worth there.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
giphy.gif

Revenge is sweet.
Great game from the Flames. So good. Do it again against the oilers.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Backlund & Coleman w Mangiapane makes a lot of sense. Let's keep it that way. Missed most of the 1st but was listening on 960. Top to bottom this was a solid effort from the Flames.

Great : Gaudreau-plz someone tell me why this mans is not wearing a letter for this team. Tkachuk was awesome too, especially defensively. Gudbranson well done buddy, very solid in his own zone. Best Backlund game I've watched for a while, using his linemates and his skating to extend OZ possessions. Andersson I thought was great, finally scored a goal.

Good : Coleman, Tanev, Lucic-Monahan-Dube I liked this line too, Mangiapane back in it. Markstrom had that glove going, especially in the 1st.

Fine : 4th line was alright, didn't get scored on and put some SoG. Hanifin for being billed as being an offensive dman coming into the league shows very limited ability to get anything done in the offensive zone. Zadorov big and mixing it up, still made a lot of questionable reads.

Put out like that against the Oilers and I think we mop the floor with those jabronis

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Great game from start to finish, thats how the Flames can play and should be playing. Personally was happy to see Bennett get one here too, guy was all class with how much the media wanted to talk to him and get him to trash the Flames management.

Whats even better about this is that the Panthers play the Oilers next. Panthers wont be happy about tonight and will be out for blood Thursday. :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Mony with 2 goals tonight with Gaudreau having the primary assist on both of them.
Time to move Monahan back as Gaudreau's center?
Have Lindholm center the 2nd line with Tkachuk as his wing?
Have Backlund center the 3rd line?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Coleman
Tkachuk-Lindholm- Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Dube
Plumber1-Plumber2-Plumber3

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm not gonna appoint Monahan as "back" just yet, I feel like every time he gets a new line he does something killer in transition and I say "if he keeps this up it's great" then bam, he's gone for the next 5, lines get shuffled, rinse and repeat. However, even just seeing the 2nd goal has me feeling a little more confident in his use as a depth forward. I love the concept of the Mangiapane and Coleman grouping as two guys that can play elite defence and make smart, deft passes (ala the Backlund pass down to Coleman in the corner before the Coleman goal, calls back to 3M line for me), then Lucic and Dube should be inseparable. I think Backlund's defensive presence works a lot better flow wise with the 2nd line, the top line is inseparable imo, and Monahan just needs to find his niche again on the 3rd line. He's playing an all around better game, and as an F3 with a deceptively fast Lucic on the forecheck with a legit fast Dube, he can utilize finish more. I think putting him back with Gaudreau while Lindholm is still under the weather kind of defeats the point of getting Monahan going. He's not here to score so he can earn back being a #1 C, he's here to score on a more dedicated scoring 3rd line with some grit and grind, while the top 2 lines can take hard matchups. If he's playing well, good. We need a secondary scoring threat in a centre, let's keep him as a secondary threat that can get with Gaudreau post PK's.

Otherwise, thank god Andersson scored. I've really thought he's been more aggressive and getting chance after chance pulled off the goal line was frustrating. Now that he's got that first I hope he feels comfortable going for more shots and skating it in a little bit more. Markstrom was also blessed today. Bennett's goal was a little bit... meh, but it was scrambly, and he made great saves around that. One of those games you really want to see to feel confident in him going forward.

Finally, god bless the 4th liners being put on the 4th line. Now all we need is to cycle in Ruzicka or Phillips every now and then to see how they crack it and get a cycle going where every couple games a young guy replaces an oldie as a rotation, i.e. Phillips in for Ritchie, after a bit Ritchie/Pitlick come in for Phillips and Ruzicka takes Richardson's spot. I'd rather just have the young guys play but I'd be surprised if Sutter wants more than 1 "untrusted" guy on his 4th line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Team needs a trade. It truly was a complete team performance but Gaudreau still had 4 assists while Tkachuk had 3. Swing for the fences and go for Klingberg. This guy would add another 20-25 goal contributions for us down the stretch

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Team needs a trade. It truly was a complete team performance but Gaudreau still had 4 assists while Tkachuk had 3. Swing for the fences and go for Klingberg. This guy would add another 20-25 goal contributions for us down the stretch
The thought of having a right side of Tanev - Klingberg - Andersson is beautiful for this season. Gets a legit PP QB and a rushing defencemen that fits heavily with the Sutter style of capitalizing on rush chances AND means no Zadorov. Works even better if Klingberg could play the left side. Either that or get 3 pairings you feel great runnning 20 minutes a night of. I really wish you didn't make exciting Flames suggestions we know Treliving wouldn't pull off so people couldn't get excited about an actual good value move.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The thought of having a right side of Tanev - Klingberg - Andersson is beautiful for this season. Gets a legit PP QB and a rushing defencemen that fits heavily with the Sutter style of capitalizing on rush chances AND means no Zadorov. Works even better if Klingberg could play the left side. Either that or get 3 pairings you feel great runnning 20 minutes a night of. I really wish you didn't make exciting Flames suggestions we know Treliving wouldn't pull off so people couldn't get excited about an actual good value move.
4.25 million cap hit, literal peanuts. Send Zadorov, Pitlick out and attach our 1st and another prospect they want not named Coronato or Pelletier (if push comes to shove, maybe Pelletier can be attached if the bidding war is bad or if we're sure we can extend him). More than fair for an offensively elite rental RHD. Him and Heiskanen basically eliminated us back in the bubble so we know what he's capable of.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
4.25 million cap hit, literal peanuts. Send Zadorov, Pitlick out and attach our 1st and another prospect they want not named Coronato or Pelletier (if push comes to shove, maybe Pelletier can be attached if the bidding war is bad or if we're sure we can extend him). More than fair for an offensively elite rental RHD. Him and Heiskanen basically eliminated us back in the bubble so we know what he's capable of.
One of the better things the Flames could get on is Klingberg then another cheap option like Namestnikov where they don't need to move salary out. Klingberg especially though, with guys who thrive net front like Tkachuk and Coleman or even a big screen guy like Lucic, just seems like such a natural fit to provide offence. Plus for a player like Pelletier moving him in a deal will hurt, but if the idea is to go all in this year and cut your losses in the future with Gaudreau leaving, he wouldn't really be part of a future core and would just be around while the Flames would need to collect assets. And if the goal is to be competitive after this season? Getting creative with finding a way to fit a Klingberg contract w/ Gaudreau seems like a solid challenge for a new GM to tackle in the offseason. At the very least would make, say, Hanifin/Tanev being traded more stomachable with a legit #1 d-man (mostly for Tanev to go, Hanifin can be stomached without a Klingberg comparable)

Reactions: Mobiandi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Realistically anyone can beat that. If anything I feel Dallas would want Andersson going back for Klingberg at least.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Finally the Flames top 9 forwards were all played in the top 9.

But how ugly was that 4th line? Wow, I’d keep Lewis around but why not a Ruzicka-Gawdin-Lewis line? Have a vet with the kids for mentoring and stability.

Ritchie and Richardson are like 6th liners at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00