GDT: Flams @ Nucks Volume 3: The Consistently Inconsistent Flames (8:00 PM)

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Seriously. This team has maybe 3 wins without Markstrom.

Too harsh, we can look that way, but we shouldn't. Where is EDM without one of McDavid or Draisaitl? They would likely have to do a full 'blow it up' rebuild around the 1 player. Where is Toronto without Mathews? etc. Where is Montreal if you take away Toffoli and Petry's surprise scoring so far?

I love Markstrom. It's clear how much he helps our team, but our roster isn't terrible, it just hasn't found consistency, yet.

Have yet to play a game vs. the worst team in this division, when many have played them 3-4 times. But, we have won 4/5 vs. Vancouver and could have won the 5th if not for all of our previous wins, putting them on their death bed, which triggered a "big game" response before game 20 of the regular season.

If by some miracle, we are able to beat Vancouver on Wednesday, likely with Rittich in net, they are done in my opinion and playing out the string, starting at game 21.

Let's be patient, it's very hard to make trades this year, especially getting players into Canada with the long quarantine. My thought is that Edmonton is going to implode due to goaltending, now that they start playing real teams. Montreal is not going to score as much as they have, Toronto has defense issues (eternally) and WPG defense has to catch up to them eventually.

With slight improvement, more goal scoring, we have a good chance of 2nd or 3rd in this division. The vets on this team aren't going to blow a gasket now with a lot of games left to play.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We are a top ten team in almost every analytics metric. While also having a top 5 goalie in the league.

Flames still lack one big game breaker. I’d be open to a 2 for 1 type trade to get one.

We’ve played down to opponents as always. Flames were better than Toronto both times we played them... you rewrite those game scripts and we’re sitting at 21 points and on top of the division. It goes to show how few games have been played in general. Markstrom has been our MVP, there’s no doubt, but that’s why we paid him handsomely.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Seriously. This team has maybe 3 wins without Markstrom.
I haven’t really understood this narrative so far, sure there’s been plenty of games we don’t show up for in the first, but we usually vastly outplay teams after that. If you get outplayed for one period but outplay the other team for two periods, usually you were the better team.

You can make the argument that Markstrom stole 2 or maybe 3 games, but that’s why you get an elite goalie in the first place? Why is it viewed as a bad thing that we went out and got the best goalie we have had since Kipper?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I remember when Canes fans were trying to tell us that Lindholm had a muffin of a shot after the trade. Now he routinely beats goalies from the tops of the circles

Reactions: Mobiandi

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I haven’t really understood this narrative so far, sure there’s been plenty of games we don’t show up for in the first, but we usually vastly outplay teams after that. If you get outplayed for one period but outplay the other team for two periods, usually you were the better team.

You can make the argument that Markstrom stole 2 or maybe 3 games, but that’s why you get an elite goalie in the first place? Why is it viewed as a bad thing that we went out and got the best goalie we have had since Kipper?
He's always going to trash the team. He's only interested in Gaudreau's success.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I don’t think Mackey deserves to come out of the line up. Fairly solid play minus the penalties. All the other defence men are playing decent, minus Giordano, whom will not get benched.

Would another (competent) coaching staff play Kylington as a 7th D since Buddy/Rinaldo/etc hardly play?

You could tailor the defence’s minutes more appropriately and give well performing forwards a few extra shifts.

I agree and I like the way he was activating a bunch.. Almost a good scoring chance, but led to a penalty.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The skeptic in me says that the overzealous praise and current opportunity provided by the Flames for Mackey to impress is to try and show that there are opportunities up for grabs to prevent drafted Adam Fox-types from having their sights elsewhere while in college.

He looks like a guy who could use some seasoning in the AHL

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I love Markstrom. It's clear how much he helps our team, but our roster isn't terrible, it just hasn't found consistency, yet.

It's not the roster as much as the coaching.

Because this roster should be good enough to beat teams like Vancouver without needing to lean on an elite goaltender.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The skeptic in me says that the overzealous praise and current opportunity provided by the Flames for Mackey to impress is to try and show that there are opportunities up for grabs to prevent drafted Adam Fox-types from having their sights elsewhere while in college.

He looks like a guy who could use some seasoning in the AHL

Trying to convince Farrance that he can make the team if he will sign here. A man can dream.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I turned the game on at the start of the 2nd period. We won! We won!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Because this roster should be good enough to beat teams like Vancouver without needing to lean on an elite goaltender.

That’s the mark of a good team though.

Even teams like Tampa sleep through games where Vasilevskiy is their best player, and win.

It’s what separates good teams from mediocre teams in our league. Where you can have an off night and still collect points. Flames have been really bad only twice this year. Flames have been average to good the rest of the way. If you take out the horrible games (Vancouver and Montreal) Flames are sitting at 8-4-1, which points to a fairly decent team.

Like I said, the analytics point to this team being a top ten team in the league. Since I’ve been a fan, Calgary’s always played down to their opponents. The only year they didn’t was that season they won the West.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don’t think Mackey deserves to come out of the line up. Fairly solid play minus the penalties. All the other defence men are playing decent, minus Giordano, whom will not get benched.

Would another (competent) coaching staff play Kylington as a 7th D since Buddy/Rinaldo/etc hardly play?

You could tailor the defence’s minutes more appropriately and give well performing forwards a few extra shifts.

Yeah Mackey was good other than the penalties, two of which I thought were marginal calls too. Made some excellent plays against the forecheck once he was paired with Ras. I know Cooper goes with 7D fairly regularly with the Lightning, could be something worth exploring. Even if it's just to get Kylington in the lineup for a couple games, he's gone so long without playing a competitive game. The Heat still haven't played a game yet either.

Andersson, Valimaki, Hanifin, Mackey, Kylington lots of young mobility back there for the Flames.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I though Mackey played well. Good mobility, size, and plays with more grit than some of the other D he's competing against (Nesterov, Kylington). Vancouver was crowding the crease a lot this game and Connor was doing his best to clear them out of there.

Ward showed confidence in him by playing him on the PK as well. I'd like to see him on the PP too. Some of the college clips I saw showed that he likes to shoot the puck and that's omething that has been sorely lacking from our D these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad