GDT: Flaming Bears: Bruins (4-1-0) @ Flames(3-2-0) 7:30PM MT (SN360, FAN960)

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Abe Simpson turn around gif.
As an owner of a well maintained ignore list it's more like:
wthayta.gif

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Fro isn’t going to keep up that scoring pace that he did from last night. But I like what Peters is doing. Fro is actually quite skilled and is capable of scoring a lot more than he does. But he focuses most of his energy on being a good defensive player. Peters I think, is going to get him to try to score more. I like this.
Sure he is.

81 GP, 46 goals, 0 assists.

But yes, he had a monster of a comeback game. It's almost like sitting an under-performing veteran might actually work sometimes.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As an owner of a well maintained ignore list it's more like:
wthayta.gif

When I had mine on the old HF platform, it was always fun. Literally missing an entire page with like one post in it because a couple jabrone's were arguing in it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fro isn’t going to keep up that scoring pace that he did from last night. But I like what Peters is doing. Fro is actually quite skilled and is capable of scoring a lot more than he does. But he focuses most of his energy on being a good defensive player. Peters I think, is going to get him to try to score more. I like this.

I really don't mind the idea of Fro/Czarnik moving around depending on the matchup.
Like, when we play tough teams like Boston and we need a shutdown line, Fro comes up. When we play a deeper team like Vegas where all lines have to be active and aware, Czarnik comes back up.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Anybody hearing anything about the DoPS reviewing the McAvoy-Gaudreau hit? Any news about Gaudreau?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really don't mind the idea of Fro/Czarnik moving around depending on the matchup.
Like, when we play tough teams like Boston and we need a shutdown line, Fro comes up. When we play a deeper team like Vegas where all lines have to be active and aware, Czarnik comes back up.

Totally agree. I like how Peters changes the lines so much in game as needed. To either counter the other teams schemes or present different looks or try to spark a guys game. We have options on options. We can set some more physical lines, or make a couple top scoring lines or we can roll with a more defensive and speed game, this team has many different looks.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Anybody hearing anything about the DoPS reviewing the McAvoy-Gaudreau hit? Any news about Gaudreau?
As a neutral observer I hope there's no suspension, and IMHO a 2 min penalty is a bit harsh.

McAvoy cannot help that that opponents now are smaller than ever, and when a clean hit is now being looked under the microscope...Jeez.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
As a neutral observer I hope there's no suspension, and IMHO a 2 min penalty is a bit harsh.

McAvoy cannot help that that opponents now are smaller than ever, and when a clean hit is now being looked under the microscope...Jeez.

I think a two minute penalty was the right call as the puck wasn’t really around anymore. I would agree that it’s probably not a suspension

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

It was an interference penalty... which was the right call. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1/2 games to send a message, and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't taken a second look at it at all.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

As expected really. Gaudreau's a lot tougher than people give him credit for, takes just a ton of abuse.

Would of liked to see the League at least give McAvoy a phone call. Wasn't really the dirtiest hit or anything but he still put his elbow into Gaudreau's chin when he didn't have to.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It didn't violate Rule 48, but it was a correct call for interference. If Johnny had had the puck, it would have been clean.

Then again, if Johnny had had the puck, he likely wouldn't have been unprepared for the hit, so it would have been very different.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I am of the opinion that we should try and get Anderson AND maybe try him on the top line to allow Johnny playing fearless. How many more attempts to significantly injure one our most valuable players before we do something? Clearly, the league is not prepared to do anything anyway.. he has been targeted since the beginning of the season... What do we do?

Last edited:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Wasn’t really an attempt to significantly injure Johnny it was a late hit which is 2 pims and there’s discussion around if it targeted the head as a late hit. There wasn’t anything so malicious that the league needs to come down on McAvoy but I agree a phone call with no suspension would have been fine to enforce the watch the head message.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Can’t believe he didn’t get a game. So dumb.

Late hit, didn’t have the puck, contact to the head. Star player. Vulnerable position. Had time to let up but cleaned his clock.

I mean hit the guy when he actually has the puck, sure. That was BS.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What I don't understand is the people saying "if he was 50 lbs heavier it wouldn't be an issue"

Um, yeah... Physics would disagree with you.

Being lighter is a benefit in this case.
I think the only people saying that are being ironic. They were probably part of the Pettersson/Matheson discussion and are resentful of that argument being used against Pettersson (because it's a bullshit argument for an illegal play).

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
McAvoy plays for Boston whereas Matheson plays for Panthers. If roles were reversed the suspension(s) would be reversed.

I didn't think the Matheson play was a suspension whereas I think McAvoy should at least get a game as he clearly targets the head. One lead to injury one didn't. It's all politics, circumstance and bullshit. Just have to move on. I thought the Donato knee was a lot dirtier and scummier than McAvoy's hit anyway. If Johnny doesn't jump out of the way his season could have been over from a blown out knee.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
McAvoy play is a late hit, but it's absolutely a hockey play. If that was Valimaki, Giordano, or Hamonic we wouldn't have any problem with them clearing the netfront like that with the possibility of the opposing star player banging in the rebound, though we'd be a bit annoyed that they were two steps behind the play in the first place. I mean, it's (cleaner versions of) plays like that that make me thing Bennett is going to be an amazing centreman.

Matheson play is a selfish act behind the net after he got humiliated, and last I checked tombstone piledrivers are not hockey plays. Absolutely has no place in the game.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't understand why anyone would think Matheson didn't deserve a suspension. He committed an act that has no objective other than injuring a player. There is no hockey play that calls for making sure your opponent's head hits the ice hard. He could have made that hit on Pettersson the same way without the bodyslam and achieved the same effect from a game perspective. He finished him off with a cheap play that ensured a head injury. The decision to suspend was almost a no-brainer.

At least in this case, it could be argued that he was just finishing his check. In addition, his hit (if it had been on a legal target) didn't violate Rule 48. I could see why they might think about suspending McAvoy on that hit, but it's definitely a much weaker case than Matheson, because McAvoy didn't do anything that appeared specifically to be done to injure a player.

Reactions: Janks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad