GDT: Flaming Bears: Bruins (4-1-0) @ Flames(3-2-0) 7:30PM MT (SN360, FAN960)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What are you talking about? Smith is easily up there higher than either Gaudreau or Giordano. Gaudreau and Monahan are pretty equal IMO.

If you really think replacing a top 10 winger that has led this team in scoring the last 3 years is easier than replacing a run of the mill #1G you've had a little too much legal bud today.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I dunno we have a lot more depth this year up front.

By the way we’re 4-2-0 on weed legalization day.
200w.webp

bruh

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you really think replacing a top 10 winger that has led this team in scoring the last 3 years is easier than replacing a run of the mill #1G you've had a little too much legal bud today.
We've seen the team without Gaudreau. We've seen the team without Smith. It was better without Gaudreau and we weren't as deep as we are now. It's really not that difficult to understand that the drop off from our #1 goaltender to our backup is significantly greater. Frankly, I am shocked that even you would argue such a terrible point.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm sorry but what? He's more irreplaceable. Giordano is the only one who even comes close.
Disagree. The gap between Smith and Rittich is a lot more than Gaudreau to Tkachuk, Monahan to Backlund and maybe Giordano to Brodie. I would say a Giordano or Smith injury would hurt this team badly. Rittich is doing fine as a backup, but remember last season when he received starting minutes? Didn't do so good. Granted, we have a new coaching staff and system so maybe Smith going down wouldn't hurt nearly as bad as the previous season. Regardless, I believe Smith going down would really hurt this team of giving themselves a good playoff spot in the Pacific Division. With the way that our team has been playing at home so far, we could use that extra game in a 7 game series at home.

Went really off topic, but I think we can survive without Gaudreau for a game or two if that is what happens. It would suck, but with the depth of this team I do not believe that we would skip a beat. It looks like Peters believes in Bennett and is happy with his performances as of late. Bennett would get a crack at the top 6.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think Walk With Elias is saying Gaudreau is more replacable long term. More talking short term, like if we were to lose one of them, right now, for half the season

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
We've seen the team without Gaudreau. We've seen the team without Smith. It was better without Gaudreau and we weren't as deep as we are now. It's really not that difficult to understand that the drop off from our #1 goaltender to our backup is significantly greater. Frankly, I am shocked that even you would argue such a terrible point.

You're essentially arguing that Mike Smith, a player the Coyotes are paying 1.4 million dollars to not play goal for them is a more valuable player to this franchise than Johnny Gaudreau, the team's leading scorer. And I'm the one with the terrible point :laugh:

Amazing that this fanbase continues to underrate Gaudreau so much. Team would of been a bottom 6 or 7 team last year without him.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm sorry but what? He's more irreplaceable. Giordano is the only one who even comes close.

It is my opinion Chucky is already the better LW and moving forward should be more valued than Johnny. I know my view is unpopular but Chucky has a more complete game. Johnny is great for flashy plays and can do amazing things with the puck but overall I think the first line would be better with Chucky, Monahan and Lindholm. The line's ratio of goals for and against would be much better as would their possession numbers. As great as Johnny is his game is rushes..not possession. Nights like tonight usually happen because the opposition waits for Johnny to get the puck then knows he won't chip and chase so they play him really tight at the blue line.

3 on 3 there is not a better duo than Sean and Johnny but when a team has enough skill to deal with Johnny the line gets castrated 5 on 5.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You're essentially arguing that Mike Smith, a player the Coyotes are paying 1.4 million dollars to not play goal for them is a more valuable player to this franchise than Johnny Gaudreau, the team's leading scorer. And I'm the one with the terrible point :laugh:

Amazing that this fanbase continues to underrate Gaudreau so much. Team would of been a bottom 6 or 7 team last year without him.
Goaltending is the most important position on the ice. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with who is a better player or who is more valuable to the franchise as a whole.

Without Gaudreau we still have Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Neal, Backlund.... etc. Yes, losing Gaudreau would hurt badly, but our depth would help cover for that loss. When we lost Gaudreau in 2016-17 to his broken hand, the team went 6-3-1 without him in the lineup. When Smith was injured for 12 games, we had to run with Rittich & Gillies and we were 5-6-2 during the time he was injured.

If we were a team with a 1a/1b situation, it would be different, because there wouldn't be the massive drop-off from starter to backup, But we aren't, so the loss of a starting goaltender hurts more.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It is my opinion Chucky is already the better LW and moving forward should be more valued than Johnny. I know my view is unpopular but Chucky has a more complete game. Johnny is great for flashy plays and can do amazing things with the puck but overall I think the first line would be better with Chucky, Monahan and Lindholm. The line's ratio of goals for and against would be much better as would their possession numbers. As great as Johnny is his game is rushes..not possession. Nights like tonight usually happen because the opposition waits for Johnny to get the puck then knows he won't chip and chase so they play him really tight at the blue line.

3 on 3 there is not a better duo than Sean and Johnny but when a team has enough skill to deal with Johnny the line gets castrated 5 on 5.

Offense is so ridiculously underrated on this forum. It's hard to score goals in the NHL. Johnny Gaudreau contributed on 39% of the goals the Flames scored last year. This is one player on a 23 man roster. Thinking they'd be "fine" or even better off without him given the premium scoring role is total bullshit. Heresy even.

Goaltending is the most important position on the ice. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with who is a better player or who is more valuable to the franchise as a whole.

When you use the term irreplaceable in a comparison of value to an organization, you're measuring this exactly. You could trade a couple of whatever pieces tomorrow for a goalie than can provide the goaltending that Mike Smith does. Good luck finding another Gaudreau lying around.

Without Gaudreau we still have Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Neal, Backlund.... etc. Yes, losing Gaudreau would hurt badly, but our depth would help cover for that loss. When we lost Gaudreau in 2016-17 to his broken hand, the team went 6-3-1 without him in the lineup. When Smith was injured for 12 games, we had to run with Rittich & Gillies and we were 5-6-2 during the time he was injured.

If we were a team with a 1a/1b situation, it would be different, because there wouldn't be the massive dropoff from starter to backup, But we aren't, so the loss of a starting goaltender hurts more.

If it was going to be for 10 games or something? Sure then I might rather have Johnny sidelined. That's not what irreplaceable means. Smith is much more replaceable, which Treliving is going to need to do sooner or later.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When you use the term irreplaceable in a comparison of value to an organization, you're measuring this exactly. You could trade a couple of whatever pieces tomorrow for a goalie than can provide the goaltending that Mike Smith does. Good luck finding another Gaudreau lying around.

If it was going to be for 10 games or something? Sure then I might rather have Johnny sidelined. That's not what irreplaceable means. Smith is much more replaceable, which Treliving is going to need to do sooner or later.
I never once used the term irreplaceable, not once. This whole thing came up from someone saying that Smith being injured would hurt the team more than Gaudreau, it was never about what the franchise would be like going forward without one of them.

Let me try again and I will keep this clear and simple.

Smith being injured with our current backup situation hurts us more than Gaudreau being injured.
Gaudreau leaving this franchise would be more difficult to replace than Smith leaving this franchise.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I never once used the term irreplaceable, not once. This whole thing came up from someone saying that Smith being injured would hurt the team more than Gaudreau, it was never about what the franchise would be like going forward without one of them.

You quoted my post with that term being the main subject. Might want to brush up on your understanding of what it means to replace something then.

What are you talking about? Smith is easily up there higher than either Gaudreau or Giordano. Gaudreau and Monahan are pretty equal IMO.

Let me try again and I will keep this clear and simple.

Smith being injured with our current backup situation hurts us more than Gaudreau being injured.
Gaudreau leaving this franchise would be more difficult to replace than Smith leaving this franchise.

Depends how long. If Gaudreau indeed has a concussion and is out half the season it would hurt a lot more than Smith scraping his elbow and eating nuts in his pajamas for a week. Smith is like the 5th starting goalie Gaudreau has had in his NHL career so far.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
While I obviously don't wish injury on the guy it might nail home for the team that there are tangible consequences if you don't protect your stars.
I think you over estimate the effect that having a designated goon on your team has. Most nights said goon is in the press box eating popcorn because they generally suck at playing hockey so they aren't around to protect the "star" anyways.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hope Johnny is okay. This is why we need Peluso in the lineup! Nobody will take liberties with Gaudreau if #16 is in the lineup. :fight:
Sure they will. To believe otherwise is fantasy. Peluso deserves to be in the lineup about as much as I do.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This argument about who's more or less irreplaceable is one of the silliest arguments I've seen for a while. Seriously, we just beat the Bruins 5-2 and THIS is what you want to argue about? Sometimes people on here just aren't happy unless they're fighting about something, anything, no matter how stupid.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Offense is so ridiculously underrated on this forum. It's hard to score goals in the NHL. Johnny Gaudreau contributed on 39% of the goals the Flames scored last year. This is one player on a 23 man roster. Thinking they'd be "fine" or even better off without him given the premium scoring role is total bull****. Heresy even.

Johnny is no where near as effective without Monahan. When Sean got down to one arm and was being pushed in a chair down the ice Johnny's points and effectiveness came to a halt. When Mony was finally pulled out of the lineup Johnny could not find chemistry with any other center until the last game of the season with Jankowski. Many here IMO (IN MY OPINION) under value what Monahan brings to the Flames and over value Johnny.

Johnny year in year out is the worst forward in the NHL for giveaways. His giveaway / takeaway ratio is among the worst in the NHL. This is a stat that has not got any better with time. Chucky was on pace for 64-67 points last season with his line-mates showing their worst point totals in years. Chucky with a bonafide #1 center would likely be on Johnny's level in regards to scoring. When you add the rest of Chucky's game into the equation you have the player that should be valued more than Johnny's.

If Johnny were to go down it would hurt a little but Chucky is just as good if not better than Johnny. If Monahan goes down we saw what happened last year as there is nobody in the Calgary line-up that can bring what Sean does.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’ve been saying this for a while, but count me in the group that values Tkachuk over Gaudreau. If push came to shove in this cap era, you keep Chucky. SKR mentioned a lot of the reasons why, but he just brings all the elements to the ice, I also think he’s a better leader and has more drive to win. I’m not saying Johnny doesn’t care, in fact I think he’s among the best on the team in regards to his “give a shit meter”, however Tkachuk is just on another level. I really don’t think the drop in skill is much if at all. Tkachuk isn’t as flashy, but he doesn’t need to be and he’s definitely the smarter player.

Reactions: SKRusty

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Gaudreau is better than Smith, no question about that, but Smith might be our MVP. If we lose Gaudreau for few games, we can put Tkachuk on the 1st line LW, Bennett on the 2nd LW etc, and Flames downgrade their offense a bit. If Hathaway, for example, get 4th line minutes because of that, he's replacing Gaudreau only "on paper", but in reality he's not getting Gaudreau's 1st line minutes. If we lose Smith, Rittich gets all his minutes. I think there's a significant difference when it comes to skaters and goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad