Confirmed Buy-Out Flames waive Troy Brouwer

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If you're referring to Horton, he's already been accounted for as I believe CapFriendly (shoutout to @lifelonghockeyfan who thinks I pull the numbers from memory or something) already accounts for the LTIR cap space allocation under "Projected Cap Space" as it mentions "current active roster and injuries".

No that's not how capfriendly does it.

LTIR isn't actually used by the team until the cap is surpassed and the org has a reason to put the guy on LTIR.

When a guy is on LTIR it'll say they are at the cap, then says how much ltir is used in the same spot. Go to archives and pick an old hawks season for an example.

Horton isn't calculated as on LTIR right now because he isn't on it.

Aug 3, 2010
No that's not how capfriendly does it.

LTIR isn't actually used by the team until the cap is surpassed and the org has a reason to put the guy on LTIR.

When a guy is on LTIR it'll say they are at the cap, then says how much ltir is used in the same spot. Go to archives and pick an old hawks season for an example.

Horton isn't calculated as on LTIR right now because he isn't on it.
Except his status on CapFriendly lists him as on IR (see Arizona for Bolland and Hossa as well) as their legend does not list "LTIR" only "Injured/IR" marked with a white cross.

I understand where you're coming from but I think based on their listings it's safer to assume they have accounted for LTIR in their "projected cap".

Otherwise, do the math manually and figure out if there is a discrepancy.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Except his status on CapFriendly lists him as on IR (see Arizona for Bolland and Hossa as well) as their legend does not list "LTIR" only "Injured/IR" marked with a white cross.

I understand where you're coming from but I think based on their listings it's safer to assume they have accounted for LTIR in their "projected cap".

Otherwise, do the math manually and figure out if there is a discrepancy.

Being in IR is different than being on LTIR. When players are listed on LTIR they're denoted as such. Off the top of my head no one on the NHL is currently on LTIR.

The only purpose it serves is to allow a team to go over the cap. All insurance and roster implications are the same for LTIR vs IR. So the fact these players are denoted as IR is not indicative of anything.

Again go look at archived teams from 2015-2016. If someone is on LTIR you cannot miss it.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'd take a flier on him back in Chicago on a cheap deal to allow Ejdsell start the season in Rockford and work on his skating and NA game a little bit more, but he was on fire down the stretch of the AHL playoffs, would like to let him really continue to get better down there a little while longer so he is ready for the show instead of bringing him up right away and potentially stunting his development

Aug 3, 2010
Being in IR is different than being on LTIR. When players are listed on LTIR they're denoted as such. Off the top of my head no one on the NHL is currently on LTIR.

The only purpose it serves is to allow a team to go over the cap. All insurance and roster implications are the same for LTIR vs IR. So the fact these players are denoted as IR is not indicative of anything.

Again go look at archived teams from 2015-2016. If someone is on LTIR you cannot miss it.

Can't seem to find it on mobile. Have you got a screenshot? Hard to dig through the archives right now.

All I know for certain is that Horton was placed on LTIR last season/season before. Not sure how CapFriendly handles/displays that data year over year.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Can't seem to find it on mobile. Have you got a screenshot? Hard to dig through the archives right now.

All I know for certain is that Horton was placed on LTIR last season/season before. Not sure how CapFriendly handles/displays that data year over year.

Here you go. That's the number at the top. If you go to Chicago Blackhawks Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps you can also scroll down and see that the LTIR was used on Keith and rosival (and for what portion of the season).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-223030.png
    Screenshot_20180806-223030.png
    207 KB · Views: 10

Aug 3, 2010
Here you go. That's the number at the top. If you go to Chicago Blackhawks Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps you can also scroll down and see that the LTIR was used on Keith and rosival (and for what portion of the season).
Thanks. Using that though for Toronto shows that they used (and included) 5m of LTIR cap space for 2017-2018 on the Daily Cap Tracker.

Again maybe I am missing something via mobile, but it still looks as if they included LTIR expenditures already for Horton.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Thanks. Using that though for Toronto shows that they used (and included) 5m of LTIR cap space for 2017-2018 on the Daily Cap Tracker.

Again maybe I am missing something via mobile, but it still looks as if they included LTIR expenditures already for Horton.

I'm not saying he wasn't on LTIR last year. I'm just saying he's not on it right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Siggy...

IR only exists during the regular season and LTIR doesn't exist unless there is a long-term injury (min. 10 games & 24 days) and a replacement player causes a team to exceed the salary cap. A player cannot be placed on IR or LTIR until the season opening rosters are announced. At which time a team has a three options.
  1. If a player is on a two-way contract they can be placed on SOIR (Season opening injured reserve). The cap implications of SOIR are 3-fold.
    • If the player played 50 or more games in the previous season, 100% of their cap hit counts against the cap.
    • If the player played at least one game, but fewer than 50 in the previous season, a reduced cap hit is calculated based on the number of days they were on the NHL roster (days on roster divided by total days in season).
    • If the player never saw an NHL game, full cap relief is given.
  2. Name the player to the roster, then place them on IR. If the player has a long-term injury, the team will then be allowed to recall a replacement player and the team can exceed the cap by the amount of the injured players cap hit.
  3. Place the player on LTIR without placing the player on the roster. However, using this option limits the amount of LTIR relief available to a team. For example, if say Flames had $3 million in cap space and Derek Ryan and his $3.125m cap hit needed to be placed on LTIR, the Flames could only exceed the cap by 0.125m for the duration of his injury. Making this option a last resort for teams. (This only is relevant if a team needs to exceed the cap).

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

You truly are the king of false statements!

Horton was not on LTIR last year and will not be again this year. We have a huge amount of cap space for 2018-2019.

Are we likely to use that LTIR in 2019-2020, absolutely. Remember in the off-season I believe any team can be 10% over the cap but must fall under once the season starts. This is where Horton’s 5.3 which we likely have to use during 19/20.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'm surprised Chia isn't picking him off waivers here.

"What! A 4th line grinder paid 4.5m?! That's a steal!"
<Gets on the phone>
"Leon, listen buddy, we're picking up some salary here and we're going to have to move you. I think I might be able to trade you for Karl Alzner."

The Montreal Canadians got not room to be bashing any GM . They need to worry about their own .

Lucic for Weber 50% retained + a sweetener do to Weber injuries . I am I doing this right ?

Reactions: ivanlwan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Horton was not on LTIR last year and will not be again this year. We have a huge amount of cap space for 2018-2019.

Are we likely to use that LTIR in 2019-2020, absolutely. Remember in the off-season I believe any team can be 10% over the cap but must fall under once the season starts. This is where Horton’s 5.3 which we likely have to use during 19/20.

If the Leafs want to zero carryover Performance Bonuses going into 2019/20., Horton has to be shown on the 2018/19 roster. After the Nylander resigning that will leave the Leafs about 3m in cap space. Hardly a huge amount.
Next year, the Leafs will more cap space than this year because two years of PB and Hortons contract totalling 12.6m can be spend. Horton will be LTIR next summer/year as the PB are expected to be just 400,000 since most players will be on regular contracts, not bonus laden ELCs.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If the Leafs want to zero carryover Performance Bonuses going into 2019/20., Horton has to be shown on the 2018/19 roster. After the Nylander resigning that will leave the Leafs about 3m in cap space. Hardly a huge amount.
Next year, the Leafs will more cap space than this year because two years of PB and Hortons contract totalling 12.6m can be spend. Horton will be LTIR next summer/year as the PB are expected to be just 400,000 since most players will be on regular contracts, not bonus laden ELCs.

I'm well aware of why these past few years have been tricky regarding Performance bonuses for Matthews, Marner and Nylander and why we have not used Horton's contract to go over the cap if needed.

As said, next year will be different but unsure where you come up with the 12.6 (my guess is the PB for Marner and Matthews plus Horton's contract). Long story short I think we are in a good place both this year and next. Would like like more cap space but what CDN market wouldn't.

Again completely off topic so lets give this back to whatever team that might take this player on.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Dobas, Natthews, Morner, Neylndar and every other player you misspelled will be fine. Not sure if this is just a Troll Job or you’re a complete mor*#. My guess is the later! We will likely be using Horton’s LTIR next year as we will be tight up against the cap. Furthermore the cap will likely go up another 5 million, not sure if you have taken that into consideration but I’m certain you haven’t.

Capfriendly 2019-2020 (31.5 Million in space with 10 players signed)
31.5 + 5.3 LTIR + 5 million in Cap = 41.8

Based on what you have estimated the big three get:
Nylander 6x6
Marner 7.5 x 8
Matthews 10 x 8

41.8-23.5=18.3 Million to sign 10 players

Most are third or 4th liners who should be 1-2 million max. Our D which is the biggest concern must expect progression from Dermott to take Gardiner’s spot and Liljegren to make the jump in some capacity (2nd or 3rd pairing in 2019-2020). A back-up should be about a million as well.

I have faith that our staff will either find players from with our organization or if we can find a hockey trade that makes sense move a player like Nylander to address issues on our Blue line.
Another 5 million? That's a dangerous assumption.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Montreal Canadians got not room to be bashing any GM . They need to worry about their own .

Lucic for Weber 50% retained + a sweetener do to Weber injuries . I am I doing this right ?

I'm not a MTL fan.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

He's not the king of false statements, he's asking questions about LTIR and listening to the answers. Horton was on LTIR last year. Don't come in here throw hyperbole at the guy, make false statements, then demand we all get back on topic.

Here's an archived pic of Toronto's 2017-2018 season. Horton was on LTIR.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180807-095442.png
    Screenshot_20180807-095442.png
    194.7 KB · Views: 6

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If you go to Detroit's capfriendly page you can see another example now that they've surpassed the cap with an LTIR player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you go to Detroit's capfriendly page you can see another example now that they've surpassed the cap with an LTIR player.
If capfriendly is showing anyone on LTIR currently it is wrong. Injured reserve doesn't exist outside of the regular season. However, currently clubs can exceed the cap by 10% through the summer. See my post earlier on the subject.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Can he play on a third line, or is he a fourth liner at this point? I’d have to think someone will sign him if he can still contribute.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Wow. You're the king not WWE. Horton has been on LTIR since 2014

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wow. You're the king not WWE. Horton has been on LTIR since 2014
He wasn't talking to me, he was talking to Signature.

But Technically speaking, while Horton has been LTIR each season since 2014, he has not been on LTIR the entire time, as I have stated several times, IR and LTIR do not exist outside of the regular season, players have to be placed on IR/LTIR after the final rosters are submitted to the NHL

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Can he play on a third line, or is he a fourth liner at this point? I’d have to think someone will sign him if he can still contribute.

I wouldn't want him on either. I guess if you had you could play him on your 4th line to add some toughness and veteran leadership but he is not nearly good enough to put on your PK or PP, he is not good responsibly, he doesn't make guys around him better.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd take him on the leafs for a 1 year 650k deal to battle ennis/leivo/cracknell for a 4th line spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad