Confirmed Buy-Out Flames waive Troy Brouwer

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Do you think another team will give him another chance on a one-year deal?

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Do you think another team will give him another chance on a one-year deal?

Possibly as a 4th liner near minimum contract. He got 6g, 22 points in 76 games while getting tons of PP time and all the opportunity in the world to succeed. He's getting nowhere near those opportunities going forward and is only getting older, I'd put 15 points as his ceiling for the next season. Veteran presence is the only + you can put next to his name.

Reactions: kevrondl

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Is it a matter of Brouwer really declining (although he's always been more of a role player) or just flat out being a bad fit? Can he still be serviceable for a team? I could see a team like OTT signing him to a cheap contract.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Can't say I'll miss watching him play. Guy might've been some kind of presence in the locker room we really can't say. I never felt like he left it all on the ice in his time here and I was always extremely underwhelmed with the 'creative' ways Gulutzan would find to deploy him. Such as taking a face off in OT in the defensive end during a crucial game where we were fighting for a playoff spot. I'll let you guess how that turned out.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Is it a matter of Brouwer really declining (although he's always been more of a role player) or just flat out being a bad fit? Can he still be serviceable for a team? I could see a team like OTT signing him to a cheap contract.

A big, physical RW who can get points is a massive gaping hole on the flames (hence TB getting tons of PP time), the flames laid out the red carpet for TB to be his best possible self.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
A big, physical RW who can get points is a massive gaping hole on the flames (hence TB getting tons of PP time), the flames laid out the red carpet for TB to be his best possible self.
Fair enough, I guess he's just shit or decided to sit on a big contract a la Rene Bourque.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I am surprised Flames ownership agreed to this, they have been very anti paying players to play elsewhere in the past.

Good move for the Flames though. He never fit here and they need the cap space.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I see Edmonton taking a stab at around a mil. He could push for a spot next to Draisaitl and has succeeded in a top six scoring role in the past. Oilers are in need of good two way, right shooting forwards. Brouwer's a good vet.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I see Edmonton taking a stab at around a mil. He could push for a spot next to Draisaitl and has succeeded in a top six scoring role in the past. Oilers are in need of good two way, right shooting forwards. Brouwer's a good vet.

Edmonton really can't afford a risk like that with under 5 million bucks in cap space and Nurse to sign. The roster you see is the roster you get unless they can dump salary elsewhere, and taking a risk on TB doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 780il

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200w.webp

He was awful. This is what happens when you're awful.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I'm surprised Chia isn't picking him off waivers here.

"What! A 4th line grinder paid 4.5m?! That's a steal!"
<Gets on the phone>
"Leon, listen buddy, we're picking up some salary here and we're going to have to move you. I think I might be able to trade you for Karl Alzner."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad