Confirmed Buy-Out Flames waive Troy Brouwer

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
There was just no room on the roster for this guy. Our bottom six looks much improved. Stajan, Brouwer, Stewart, etc..out.

Czarnik, Ryan, and youth like Mangiapane in. Much better balance of speed and youth.

God our team is so much better on paper this year. Hopefully it happens in reality as well.

Bennett - Ryan - Frolik
Lazar - Jankowski - Czarnik
Mangiapane/Hathaway

So many options to try out. Not having Brouwer there makes a huge difference.

Reactions: blankall

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Risk like what? Nurse is going to sign a bridge deal for around $3.5m. Brouwer is a capable vet who plays a position the Oilers covet. Additionally he is a prominent PKer, an area that the Oilers direly need to improve on. He's also not entirely inept offensively. Worst case scenario is you get a player who can fill that Matt Hendricks veteran role they mentioned they were lacking last season. I'd be thrilled if they signed him.

b7b61d42d6f1bbcadfb0748462a72216.gif

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Not saying Brouwer is anywhere near as good as Dustin Brown but if Brown can make a comeback, so can he.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Risk like what? Nurse is going to sign a bridge deal for around $3.5m. Brouwer is a capable vet who plays a position the Oilers covet. Additionally he is a prominent PKer, an area that the Oilers direly need to improve on. He's also not entirely inept offensively. Worst case scenario is you get a player who can fill that Matt Hendricks veteran role they mentioned they were lacking last season. I'd be thrilled if they signed him.

That’s the thing, Brouwer’s not a “capable” player. He was one of only two natural RW the Flames had last year. He was spoon fed o-zone starts and prime pp time all year. By seasons end he had six goals and was barely hanging on to fourth line duties.

Reactions: StreakingRed

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
God our team is so much better on paper this year. Hopefully it happens in reality as well.

Bennett - Ryan - Frolik
Lazar - Jankowski - Czarnik
Mangiapane/Hathaway

So many options to try out. Not having Brouwer there makes a huge difference.

I also love that thet Flames are actually giving home grown talent a chance in the bottom six. Seems like the organization hasn't done that in a decade.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wish Brouwer the best. Seems like an awesome guy off the ice with everything he did in Calgary, but this is a business where you need to play your best hockey. Unfortunately, Brouwer has had better days on other teams. I think he still has a few years left in the tank, but he needs to recognize that his role in the NHL is slowly diminishing. He's going to have to accept that he is probably a 3rd line RW at best who can chip in 25-30 points, 4th liner if a contending team wants to use his services for cheap.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I also love that thet Flames are actually giving home grown talent a chance in the bottom six. Seems like the organization hasn't done that in a decade.

No kidding. Usually our 4th line costs 5 million dollars and is filled with vets.

Lazar, Mangiapane, Hathaway, Dube, Klimchuk, Czarnik.

Those are the guys I want on the 4th line. I think Jankowski deserves to be higher but at least he'll be with guys that can skate.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Put it this way. Curtis Glencross was only ever as bad as Troy Brouwer during the 2 months he spent in Washington. He was out of the league by October.

Forgettable bottom 6 forwards do not get to play into their mid 30s anymore. Troy will come to a camp on a PTO, and then he will spend the winter workonw on the lovely house he and his wife built in Calgary.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That’s the thing, Brouwer’s not a “capable” player. He was one of only two natural RW the Flames had last year. He was spoon fed o-zone starts and prime pp time all year. By seasons end he had six goals and was barely hanging on to fourth line duties.
Spoonfed? He averaged 10 minutes a night at evens. Bottom six territory. Two minutes a night on the PK--primary PK. And a minute and change on the PP--secondary minutes.

The Oilers require a veteran RW and a quality PKer--Brouwer fits the bill and around $1m.

Regardless, I'm done here.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm surprised Chia isn't picking him off waivers here.

"What! A 4th line grinder paid 4.5m?! That's a steal!"
<Gets on the phone>
"Leon, listen buddy, we're picking up some salary here and we're going to have to move you. I think I might be able to trade you for Karl Alzner."

I really did lol at this.

Well done.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'm surprised Chia isn't picking him off waivers here.

"What! A 4th line grinder paid 4.5m?! That's a steal!"
<Gets on the phone>
"Leon, listen buddy, we're picking up some salary here and we're going to have to move you. I think I might be able to trade you for Karl Alzner."

Unfortunately for Chia I think Dim Jim has waiver priority and a real soft spot for players like Brouwer.

Seriously though, I do wonder if Brouwer was merely misused by the trainwreck of a coaching staff that the Flames had while he was here. He ticked literally every box when the Flames signed him, and he started out great, but man did he ever fall off. I think there is more to his decline than his actual on ice ability (coaching, injuries, etc), because he still put up 22 points last year and that is not easy to do when you're in the Flames bottom six it seems.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That 2010 Blackhawks team had a lot of players cash in.

Brouwer signed contracts for $33M since.
Bickell signed a four year $16M contract.
Versteeg signed a four year $17.6M contract.
Bufyglien signed contracts worth $64M since.
Ladd signed contracts worth $60M since.
Seabrook signed contracts worth $84M since.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
That had to be one of the worst summers of FA

I was happy when the Canucks missed on Lucic, Ladd and Brouwer. Then they went and overpaid on Eriksson and gave him 4 years too many on term. With the exception of 1 or 2 elite UFA’s each year, teams that sign UFA’s to anything more than 2 years always regret it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Washington offense strikes again. Seems to happen to a lot once guys dont get caps pp time anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad