Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Maybe because he isn't.

I+think+your+sarcasm+detector+is+broken+_0cc314f18897b5ea86ad9062efb8ac9e.jpg

Reactions: Flameshomer

Aug 3, 2010
I love the exact same misinformation being repeated every second page in all waiver threads, ever.

Reactions: Skobel24

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
LMAO, you know it's summer when Brett Kulak hitting waivers gets 5 pages :laugh:

as for OP, they have little room on defense and probably management wasnt impressed enough to keep him on the big team (at least he got a qualifying offer)
It's because of arbitration, now the Flames can sit down in the hearing and state that no one wanted him for free, so why does he deserve what he's asking.

It was a calculated risk, he's a decent #6 defenseman, but this strategy probably brought his contract from a million or so to close to the league minimum

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
LMAO, you know it's summer when Brett Kulak hitting waivers gets 5 pages :laugh:

as for OP, they have little room on defense and probably management wasnt impressed enough to keep him on the big team (at least he got a qualifying offer)

I said before it's all about money. Treliving is probably ok with keeping Kulak as bottom pairing D, but wanted to gamble a bit to see if he could lower the price. And if he was claimed, Flames had other options for that spot

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Can they send him to the minor after training camp without waiving him again?

Not saying they will/should. He is ok as a 6th or 7th dman

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I personally have him pegged as the #7 with Stone and Andersson playing together
I would put him as our 8 tbh. I feel like the flames media has been pumping kylington quite a bit lately and he had a big role last year under Huska. Have a feeling he will be given a long look on that bottom pair too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would put him as our 8 tbh. I feel like the flames media has been pumping kylington quite a bit lately and he had a big role last year under Huska. Have a feeling he will be given a long look on that bottom pair too.
Kylington needs time to be top pair in Stockton. After watching all his AHL games, I can confidently say that he's not NHL ready. Also it's stupid to have him sitting in the press box, when he could be playing because he's not even close to Andersson and Stone

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
More or less, yeah. It’s a ‘we’re willing to risk losing you to prove our point that you’re not worth what you’re asking for’ power move.

A bit dickish but I bet the Flames think they’re fine replacing him with Andersson if he does get claimed.
Dickish for sure, but arbitration is a dickish process in general, from what I've read. If you've got a third party determining the contract for your player, you're probably going to use every tool available to fight for your case.

Jun 15, 2007
Everyone's saying it was to destroy him in arbitration but I thought there was a specific set of criteria that can be used in arbitration and it doesn't appear as if "no other team wanted him on waivers" is on it.

The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:
  • The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Everyone's saying it was to destroy him in arbitration but I thought there was a specific set of criteria that can be used in arbitration and it doesn't appear as if "no other team wanted him on waivers" is on it.

The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:
  • The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute

You can't make 2 million like Ryan Pullock just did. 30 other GMs would have picked up Ryan Pullock if he hit waivers last week, we certainly would have.

This is how you spin this.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

If you get waived, any argument of your overall contribution to team success goes in the toilet.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dickish for sure, but arbitration is a dickish process in general, from what I've read. If you've got a third party determining the contract for your player, you're probably going to use every tool available to fight for your case.

True. Probably worth it for a marginal guy like Kulak, but I don’t know if it would be wise for anyone you could potentially want to keep around long term

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
he's a #4 in Flames fans minds only. :sarcasm:
He's a top 4 defenseman in the mind of the same genius that knows better than the 31 GMs in the NHL, thought Jakub Nakladal was a top 4 defenseman, thinks Monahan is our 4th best center and thinks Bennett would be a perennial Hart nominee if not for Gulutzan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
1- Montreal was probably not last on the waiver list tho. We made the playoffs the year before, but I agree Montreal might not have picked him up if Kassian didn't f**k up.

I think they were 2nd or third last? And it's a well known story that Byron hit Montreal management's radar due to a YouTube video.

No, but there is:

What comparable contracts are out there of players who clear waivers without a contract? I think that's a serious bullet in the chamber for the Flames. Management doesn't even have to bring out the big guns if they hit arbitration. This point alone probably puts the arbitrator on the Flames management side. Kulak might just take Whatever is offered this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00