Waived: Flames waive Brett Kulak

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What exactly is the purpose of this? basically when nobody picks him up they can use that against him?

More or less, yeah. It’s a ‘we’re willing to risk losing you to prove our point that you’re not worth what you’re asking for’ power move.

A bit dickish but I bet the Flames think they’re fine replacing him with Andersson if he does get claimed.

Reactions: MitchMurphy

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This worries me. I think he could be a solid #4/#5. One of the only players I liked the last 20 or so games.

Hopefully just a negotiation thing.

Reactions: BruinsFan37

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If you like softies, you like him

He is not bad but doesn't do anything for me... A filler

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I think he does not get claimed. He's essentially bottom pairing D, and other teams dont know what he has asked for in arbitration

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Stone/Kulak was our best third pairing we've had in like 5 years.

A) nah, Schlemko/Diaz was better
B) they weren't very good at all. Kulak has no composure in the offensive zone and often gets beat on the rush
C) Valimaki and Andersson are both better than Kulak
D) Michael Stone was the good one on the pairing, and he elevated Kulak more than anything

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If you like softies, you like him

He is not bad but doesn't do anything for me... A filler
My evaluation too. Okay filler if you need a capable body, but he isn't going to do anything outstanding in any way - not in a positive way anyway. That's not enough when you have guys chomping at the bit who could come in and make a difference. He's like a softer Jason Strudwick - he can hold a spot for you, but you can't say you have a good blueline if he's on it regularly.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A) nah, Schlemko/Diaz was better
B) they weren't very good at all. Kulak has no composure in the offensive zone and often gets beat on the rush
C) Valimaki and Andersson are both better than Kulak
D) Michael Stone was the good one on the pairing, and he elevated Kulak more than anything

Nah.
They were a really, really good third pairing for Calgary. Pretty goal neutral on 5v5, positive in chance creation (high danger included) and good possession numbers.

I wouldn't say Stone carried or Elevated Kulak. Kulak's an NHL'er. He's a perfect 6D. He doesn't hurt you on the ice, and skate well and thinks at a good enough level as well. Those two complimented each other fairly well. I'd honestly say I saw Stone beat off the rush or with a cut to the net more than Brett.

I do agree. Valimaki and Andersson are much higher end players over Kulak.

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad