GDT: Flames vs Sharks 8:00 MT

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I don’t like seeing Lucic that high up the line-up, or in the line-up at all, but to me that is an indictment on the GM not the coach, the fact we have zero quality options to play there. It isn’t like Lucic is jumping over a bunch of talented guys, it is a choice between which terrible option you want to pick.

Not surprised to see people jump on the coach to push their agendas but this is a roster issue not a coaching one.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don’t like seeing Lucic that high up the line-up, or in the line-up at all, but to me that is an indictment on the GM not the coach, the fact we have zero quality options to play there. It isn’t like Lucic is jumping over a bunch of talented guys, it is a choice between which terrible option you want to pick.

Not surprised to see people jump on the coach to push their agendas but this is a roster issue not a coaching one.

I mean he's playing ahead of a 35 goal scorer in Mangiapane, A rookie with 18 points in 23 games, and the AHL's top point producer. Just because the coach is unwilling to try certain options doesn't mean they don't exist.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I mean he's playing ahead of a 35 goal scorer in Mangiapane, A rookie with 18 points in 23 games, and the AHL's top point producer. Just because the coach is unwilling to try certain options doesn't mean they don't exist.

Mangiapane is playing horribly this year, leading scorer in AHL we have seen is often meaningless when it comes to NHL success and Ruzicka being used in a responsible way not over played is smart.

If these are the options it proves why the issues is the roster not the coach.

Reactions: Nanuuk

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Mangiapane is playing horribly this year, leading scorer in AHL we have seen is often meaningless when it comes to NHL success and Ruzicka being used in a responsible way not over played is smart.

If these are the options it proves why the issues is the roster not the coach.

You can spin anyway you want but all three of those players are much more suited to compliment and produce in our top six on a longterm basis based on their skillsets. Good for Milan for having a nice three game run here - but the past calendar year had shown he's not an every day NHL player. If not for his relationship with the head coach - he'd certainly not be getting the opportunity he's currently getting.

I also fail to see how its "responsible" to play a guy producing at a 64 point pace under 10 minutes a game because he's had a few "off" games (2 points in his 3 games prior to his demotion)

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Mangiapane, 35 goals or no, should not be playing anywhere except beside Backlund and Coleman. He has been very run of the mill playing up this year.

The same could be said for Dube for the better part of the season, except he has had an epiphany and is now playing at the next level fans have longed for the past couple of years.

Placing Looch up as 2RW might be a stroke of genius if he can maintain his level of play. He is not that slow and I thought Kadri and Huberdeau played a bit larger last night. Looch creates some room out there for them.

Perhaps Rosie will take notes. I can see him playing at 2RW at some point, but until the day arrives his role on the 4 line will be to play with some speed and win face-offs. Between him (3-3) and Lewis (2-1), they won 5 of 9 face-offs for the 4th line.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You can spin anyway you want but all three of those players are much more suited to compliment and produce in our top six on a longterm basis based on their skillsets. Good for Milan for having a nice three game run here - but the past calendar year had shown he's not an every day NHL player. If not for his relationship with the head coach - he'd certainly not be getting the opportunity he's currently getting.

I also fail to see how its "responsible" to play a guy producing at a 64 point pace under 10 minutes a game because he's had a few "off" games (2 points in his 3 games prior to his demotion)

I have already said I wouldn't have Lucic in the line-up I am not advocating for him but the options we have to play in that spot are not top 6 players either, that is the real problem. I am not spinning anything just pointing out that having slightly better but not good options is the real problem.

Ruzicka has never in his career shown this level of offensive talent, expecting this to be the norm and not a fluke small sample size situation is crazy. Hopefully he can become a useful player for us but a top 6 player he is not.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Ruzicka has never in his career shown this level of offensive talent, expecting this to be the norm and not a fluke small sample size situation is crazy. Hopefully he can become a useful player for us but a top 6 player he is not.

Nobody is a top six player until they prove they are, and he's doing that right now.

He scored 24 goals in 30 games in Sudbury after being dealt from a not so great situation. His head coach and former NHL player Cory Stillman stated "I really believe this kid has the potential to be a first-line NHL centreman,".

He was his teams leading scorer as a 2nd year pro in Stockton. He then followed that up by scoring 11 goals in 16 games before becoming a full time NHL player last year.

The production at every level indicates he has the ability to be a consistent top six player.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Nobody is a top six player until they prove they are, and he's doing that right now.

He scored 24 goals in 30 games in Sudbury after being dealt from a not so great situation. His head coach and former NHL player Cory Stillman stated "I really believe this kid has the potential to be a first-line NHL centreman,".

He was his teams leading scorer as a 2nd year pro in Stockton. He then followed that up by scoring 11 goals in 16 games before becoming a full time NHL player last year.

The production at every level indicates he has the ability to be a consistent top six player.

And just to add some additional context to the bolded, its not like he was being carried in Sudbury either. He was their only player above PPG that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad