GDT: Flames vs. Sharks - 7pm MT - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hamilton is good at putting up points but he is incredibly pedestrian when it comes to D. He'll get better but I'd rather see Brodie with Gio

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017
Mike Smith has to basically pull himself after 6 goals... and then GG decides it's a great idea to go without a Goalie with 6min left in the game?

lmao he's f***ed

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I’m starting to question smiths glove hand. I like how the announcers blame stick deflections but those recent plays happened at the blue line not the slot

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lmao no. If we trade all those guys we might as well get rid of Brodie and Gio as well and just rebuild. Especially since Brodie has been trash this season and Gio should really be the only one exempt from the bad play from the blueline.

Also I don't think a lack of offensive zone D to D passes is what ails us.

I really don't care how Brodie's been, he's playing the wrong side.

Gio-Brodie is a pair that I believe in more than Gio-Hamilton. And they can complete D-to-D passes that end up in the back of the net instead of padding the other goalie's save percentage with a quick rushed point shot like Hamonic, Stone, and Hamilton are wont to do.

Kulak-Andersson wouldn't be any worse than Russell-Wideman. Since Kulak is already better than both those two defensively and Andersson is solid. Quite honestly given how bad Brodie-Hamonic as a sum of the parts, I'd put my money on Kulak-Andersson.

Kylington-Anybody would be the best and most potent third pair we've had since David Schlemko. I'd prefer someone besides Wotherspoon, but equally cheap, though. Ideally Fox takes the next step and can replace Hamilton's offense right off the bad. Fox has more offensive sense than Dougie, I don't care what the goal totals say. Cut down on Dougie's needless penalties and you've got a half-dozen more wins every year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hamilton for Fischer and Chychrun and a 2nd
Trade Stone for picks
Sign Kovalchuk to a 1yr deal
Fire Gulutzan; Hire Trotz

Tkachuk-Monahan-Kovalchuk
Gaudreau-Bennett-Fischer
Jankowski-Backlund-Ferland
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Chychrun-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson

Yes, even in this highly fantastical scenario, Brouwer will still be a Flame. There is no escape.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I highly doubt Kovy gets signed for 1 year (let alone here) but other than that I'm fine with that line-up

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I really don't care how Brodie's been, he's playing the wrong side.

Gio-Brodie is a pair that I believe in more than Gio-Hamilton. And they can complete D-to-D passes that end up in the back of the net instead of padding the other goalie's save percentage with a quick rushed point shot like Hamonic, Stone, and Hamilton are wont to do.

Kulak-Andersson wouldn't be any worse than Russell-Wideman. Since Kulak is already better than both those two defensively and Andersson is solid. Quite honestly given how bad Brodie-Hamonic as a sum of the parts, I'd put my money on Kulak-Andersson.

Kylington-Anybody would be the best and most potent third pair we've had since David Schlemko. I'd prefer someone besides Wotherspoon, but equally cheap, though. Ideally Fox takes the next step and can replace Hamilton's offense right off the bad. Fox has more offensive sense than Dougie, I don't care what the goal totals say. Cut down on Dougie's needless penalties and you've got a half-dozen more wins every year.
He might be playing his wrong side but he should really be able to power through it and not be absolute garbage. Tonight he tried on of his famous backhand passes and fired it right to a Sharks player. At this point there is a real chance the problem is TJ Brodie and not his usage or partners or whatever.

I also don't think Brodie-GIo was any better than the Hamilton Gio pairing they produced more because they played in Hartleys system that sacrificed defence for offence. I don't think it really had much to do with they way they played offence together and had much more to do with Gaudreau feeding them every time we entered the zone.

I think you're placing far too much blame on the other guys faults and pyting Brodie ln a pedestal. We would probably have 6 more wins as well if he didn't create goals against oyt of nothing plays.

This is all fine but managemnt is not playing 4 rookies on defence nor are they trading the entire right side of the team. I also doubt that Kylington is such a transcendent talent that he's going to be good enough in his rookie season to not only carry a 3rd pairing but have that pairing be elite.

Reactions: Cyrano

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Probably late to the party. But remember when tons of posters on here were saying Kane was garbage?

a47.jpg

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
You know what?

I want to revamp the entire right side of our defense.

Dougie takes too many penalties and never passes back across to a wide open Giordano.
Hamonic never hits the net and never passes back across to the far superior Brodie.
Stone is alright, but also takes too many penalties, never passes back across to a wide open Kulak, never hits the net, and isn't really anything special defensively.

If next season our top defense group was

Giordano-Brodie
Kulak-Andersson
Kylington-Wotherspoon

I believe this group would produce better results.

Hamilton didn't have a good night tonight but he and Giordano have been very good all year. Hamilton is definitely our D man to build around for a long while and Mark is far from done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ho boy. Just watched the highlights. Looks like a real stinker from Mike Smith. He looked absolutely lost. Disappointing timing for that.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
This team has no heart but we have a solid young core. Johnny, Mony, Tkachuk, Bennett, Backs, Ferly, Janko and Dougie. Gio is older but he is not going anywhere with his contract. Those players are keepers, Well maybe Kulak too. Brodie, Stone, Hamonic, Frolik can be traded for younger faster talent upfront or picks. So many options to improve and get faster.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
While I believe Brodie was helped immensely by Giordano, let's not be dumb and also realize that Brodie helped Giordano a ton as well. WOWY and eye test showed Brodie was better than Giordano and could take on matchups with just about any teammates, whereas Giordano looked awful without Brodie under the Hartley era.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Y'know, it's frustrating. For as much as Smith has done for us this year, he's entitled to a game like this... but man, the timing couldn't be worse.

This team is destined to go nowhere. We look varying degrees of awful on any given night. I hope this summer brings some much-needed change.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hamilton didn't have a good night tonight but he and Giordano have been very good all year. Hamilton is definitely our D man to build around for a long while and Mark is far from done.

The only way I am "building around Hamilton" is if we move him to RW. Boston doesn't miss him one bit and in fact had their worst season with Dougie on their top pair after a President's Trophy season with Dougie on the second pair. Hamilton takes too many penalties which negates any possession advantage he has, and while he can shoot a wrister as well as anyone he is a pretty terrible passer from the point. Even if we didn't blow up our RHD ckmpletely I think

Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamonic
(LHS Stone replacement)-Andersson

would be a superior top 6 to what we have by virtue of discipline and pair balance.

Now maybe Hamilton could round out our forward group as he can carry the puck very well:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hamilton
Mangiapane-Backlund-Monahan
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ferland
Frolik-Shore-Lazar

But right now, I do not like our top pair (or our center setup - no team is going anywhere with Monahan down the middle. Chintzy point totals be damned). Gio-Hamilton does not pass the eye test now that their on ice SH% has normalized from last year. It is two talented individuals who don't play off each other or complete each other (well, Gio completes everyone), where good shifts get wasted with a bad penalty from a defenseman who can't be more patient, desperate, fundamentally sound. The excuses are over for Dougie. He defends with his arms and height, not his legs and mind. Kane owned him tonight, but every night he is dragging down our top pair.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The only way I am "building around Hamilton" is if we move him to RW. Boston doesn't miss him one bit and in fact had their worst season with Dougie on their top pair after a President's Trophy season with Dougie on the second pair. Hamilton takes too many penalties which negates any possession advantage he has, and while he can shoot a wrister as well as anyone he is a pretty terrible passer from the point. Even if we didn't blow up our RHD ckmpletely I think

Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamonic
(LHS Stone replacement)-Andersson

would be a superior top 6 to what we have by virtue of discipline and pair balance.

Now maybe Hamilton could round out our forward group as he can carry the puck very well:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hamilton
Mangiapane-Backlund-Monahan
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ferland
Frolik-Shore-Lazar

But right now, I do not like our top pair (or our center setup - no team is going anywhere with Monahan down the middle. Chintzy point totals be damned). Gio-Hamilton does not pass the eye test now that their on ice SH% has normalized from last year. It is two talented individuals who don't play off each other or complete each other (well, Gio completes everyone), where good shifts get wasted with a bad penalty from a defenseman who can't be more patient, desperate, fundamentally sound. The excuses are over for Dougie. He defends with his arms and height, not his legs and mind. Kane owned him tonight, but every night he is dragging down our top pair.

Hamilton in 2015-2016 was not very good. Brodie without Giordano in 2013-2014, 2014-2015, and 2016-2017 was still at worst still a great chance suppression (And in 2014-2015 and 2013-2014 goals suppression) player even if his offense suffered. Which is why I'm inclined to believe Brodie is not a product of Giordano unlike what some believe.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hamilton in 2015-2016 was not very good. Brodie without Giordano in 2013-2014, 2014-2015, and 2016-2017 was still at worst still a great chance suppression (And in 2014-2015 and 2013-2014 goals suppression) player even if his offense suffered. Which is why I'm inclined to believe Brodie is not a product of Giordano unlike what some believe.

Brodie isn't a product of anyone. He is an elite RHD with an elite transition game, who only needs a partner on the left that is competent and mobile. Russell-Brodie was a better D pair than Brodie-Hamonic. Hamonic is a better individual D than Russell but chemistry and systems and role and deployment matter. On the flip side Brodie-Wideman was a better D pair than Giordano-Wideman. And Giordano-Brodie is the most mesmerizing defense pair I have ever watched on any team, and I would even take them over Lidstrom-Rafalski as blasphemous as that sounds.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Brodie isn't a product of anyone. He is an elite RHD with an elite transition game, who only needs a partner on the left that is competent and mobile. Russell-Brodie was a better D pair than Brodie-Hamonic. Hamonic is a better individual D than Russell but chemistry and systems and role and deployment matter. On the flip side Brodie-Wideman was a better D pair than Giordano-Wideman. And Giordano-Brodie is the most mesmerizing defense pair I have ever watched on any team, and I would even take them over Lidstro-Rafalski as blasphemous as that sounds.

If only we can get Mattias Ekholm, Ekholm-Brodie would be an elite pairing. Honestly with the uncertainty of Ellis, maybe we can entertain a three way trade, where Nashville gets a top 4 LHD and a good bottom pair RHD for Ellis, we get Ekholm, and they also get Hamilton?

Giordano-Hamonic/Brodie
Ekholm-Hamonic/Brodie

Oh that top 4 would be fantastic.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You know it was a bad game when the GDT becomes the Armchair GM thread

Sad part is I don't think it was a game we deserved to lose. Could easily have been a 4-0 type win if Smith gave us some saves earlier and Gulutzan could coach a damn 5 on 3 power play.

Still, this game highlighted some trends over the last two years. The predictability of our RHD in the ozone being paramount.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
FWIW I think Hamilton would be an awful forward so If you're going the way of trading him just get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad