GDT: Flames vs. Sharks - 7pm MT - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Brouwer!

You can't make this shit up anymore.

He should be fired just for having that set up in practice.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
FWIW I think Hamilton would be an awful forward so If you're going the way of trading him just get rid of him.

He is a great defenseman so not sure why would move him to forward at all.

If we are dumb enough to move him to forward might as well move him for a guy that is much more proven there.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The only way I am "building around Hamilton" is if we move him to RW. Boston doesn't miss him one bit and in fact had their worst season with Dougie on their top pair after a President's Trophy season with Dougie on the second pair. Hamilton takes too many penalties which negates any possession advantage he has, and while he can shoot a wrister as well as anyone he is a pretty terrible passer from the point. Even if we didn't blow up our RHD ckmpletely I think

Gio-Brodie
Kulak-Hamonic
(LHS Stone replacement)-Andersson

would be a superior top 6 to what we have by virtue of discipline and pair balance.

Now maybe Hamilton could round out our forward group as he can carry the puck very well:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hamilton
Mangiapane-Backlund-Monahan
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ferland
Frolik-Shore-Lazar

But right now, I do not like our top pair (or our center setup - no team is going anywhere with Monahan down the middle. Chintzy point totals be damned). Gio-Hamilton does not pass the eye test now that their on ice SH% has normalized from last year. It is two talented individuals who don't play off each other or complete each other (well, Gio completes everyone), where good shifts get wasted with a bad penalty from a defenseman who can't be more patient, desperate, fundamentally sound. The excuses are over for Dougie. He defends with his arms and height, not his legs and mind. Kane owned him tonight, but every night he is dragging down our top pair.

This perspective is odd to me.

Hamilton's first year here sucked, was a big letdown and looked like we made a mistake. His second year wasn't much better.

This year he and Gio have been our best D-men by a wide margin. Dougie has been excellent. His shot selection has been 100x better than in year one. His production is high, he knows when to jump up and join the offensive zone play, has confidence in all areas.

And he's super young still. I don't know how what he gives us isn't short of great when good 1-2 d-men are hard to come by.

Brodie and Hamonic were flat out bad for the first half of the season, but have improved some over the last 20 or so games.

Reactions: Cyrano

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
FWIW I think Hamilton would be an awful forward so If you're going the way of trading him just get rid of him.

He is great on the forecheck, could score 30+ with that wrister of his, and impossible to take the puck away from. He could well be a similar caliber RW to Byfuglien and Burns.

Personally though I would look to package Monahan and Hamilton in a trade for Jack Eichel.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He is a great defenseman so not sure why would move him to forward at all.

If we are dumb enough to move him to forward might as well move him for a guy that is much more proven there.

It’s called utilizing your assets. Moving Dougie up front potentially fixes our top 6, RW problem and it allows us to call up Andersson. Meaning someone likely Hathaway is likely out of the line up.

Just because you disagree with the move, doesn’t mean it’s stupid. Was SJ dumb for moving Burns up front? Dougie is a talented player and I don’t see any issues with moving him around in case there’s a fit there.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
He is great on the forecheck, could score 30+ with that wrister of his, and impossible to take the puck away from. He could well be a similar caliber RW to Byfuglien and Burns.

Personally though I would look to package Monahan and Hamilton in a trade for Jack Eichel.
He doesn't have the hands for it. It would add to he plethora of players we have already that can't enter the zone. I can't even imagine him playing forward aside from scoring off the rush almost all of his offense comes from the point.

I'm not married to anything on this team aside from Gaudreau and Tkachuk but I don't think it would work.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It’s called utilizing your assets. Moving Dougie up front potentially fixes our top 6, RW problem and it allows us to call up Andersson. Meaning someone likely Hathaway is likely out of the line up.

Just because you disagree with the move, doesn’t mean it’s stupid. Was SJ dumb for moving Burns up front? Dougie is a talented player and I don’t see any issues with moving him around in case there’s a fit there.

Baxterman comes from the Glen Gulutzan train of thought "Everything I haven't already tried must by default be stupid, so I won't try it."

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Burns the guy who had experience playing foreward at a high level? No not stupid but considering he is back at defense i don't think it was overly successful or a good justification why we would move a guy that has never played forward at a high level of hockey, doesn't show much fit at the position and is doing great in his current position now.

I think moving Hamilton to forward just shifts the problem from a top line RW to now needing a top 4 D and that is based on the small chance Hamilton works as a top 6 RW.

I don't think it is stupid because I disagree with it I think it is stupid because there are much better options to fixing our top 6 than moving Hamilton and because there is zero reason to think that Hamilton would make a good forward.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Baxterman comes from the Glen Gulutzan train of thought "Everything I haven't already tried must by default be stupid, so I won't try it."

I know it is part of your style to just throw in an unrelated name that everyone hates to try and bolster your BS argument but no I don't come from any school of GG.

I come from the Scotty Bowman train of thought that you don't move your young top pairing d-man to RW because you have a hole at right wing. I know it is a crazy thought that teams have repeatedly used to win Cups but I will have to stick with that thought and look at other ways that actually solve the problem.

Reactions: Cyrano

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I come from the Scotty Bowman train of thought that you don't move your young top pairing d-man to RW because you have a hole at right wing. I know it is a crazy thought that teams have repeatedly used to win Cups but I will have to stick with that thought and look at other ways that actually solve the problem.

Funny, Bowman was a guy who was willing to play a forward at defense to fill a hole. You most certainly would not have considered having Federov play anything but forward.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Funny, Bowman was a guy who was willing to play a forward at defense to fill a hole. You most certainly would not have considered having Federov play anything but forward.

A. You have zero idea what I would do

B. Fedorov filled in at defense, he did not move to defense.

And by many reports Bowman did it to try and motivate/punish Fedorov

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Burns the guy who had experience playing foreward at a high level? No not stupid but considering he is back at defense i don't think it was overly successful or a good justification why we would move a guy that has never played forward at a high level of hockey, doesn't show much fit at the position and is doing great in his current position now.

I think moving Hamilton to forward just shifts the problem from a top line RW to now needing a top 4 D and that is based on the small chance Hamilton works as a top 6 RW.

I don't think it is stupid because I disagree with it I think it is stupid because there are much better options to fixing our top 6 than moving Hamilton and because there is zero reason to think that Hamilton would make a good forward.

Burns was moved there because SJ had a hole at the time, and it was quite successful. He moved back because they filled the hole internally and their need on defence became more important.

Dustin Byfuglien is another example of a similar player who’s has success. Dougie has the IQ and ability and most importantly the size we need to plug a major hole up front. And the hole created you speak of on defence, would be filled by Andersson or Fox, or both. Again it’s about icing the best roster, and utilizing our assets. Plus if we tried and it didn’t work, move him back, simple. But if it does, it would be a genius move.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Since joining the Flames, Hamilton is 3rd in points/60 at 5v5 behind only the two Norris winners. He's also 5th in total 5v5 points

Use him more! He should be playing 26 minutes a game ffs

This team can't get out of it's own way. It has more than enough talent to win a bunch of hockey games especially in this shitty division

You've got a 90 point forward, a 70 point centre, a low end selke caliber guy, a 60-point pace teenager, and a premier shutdown d-man and the next closest thing to Brent Burns plus even a top 5 goalie for most of the year and the team can't even win a game by more than a goal

Such a frustrating waste of a team with this much talent

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Since joining the Flames, Hamilton is 3rd in points/60 at 5v5 behind only the two Norris winners. He's also 5th in total 5v5 points

This team can't get out of it's own way. It has more than enough talent to win a bunch of hockey games especially in this ****ty division

You've got a 90 point forward, a 70 point centre, a low end selke caliber guy, a 60-point pace teenager, and a premier shutdown d-man and the next closest thing to Brent Burns plus even a top 5 goalie for most of the year and the team can't even win a game by more than a goal

Buy this man a drink.

Reactions: Cyrano and Sk8M8

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

This team can't get out of it's own way. It has more than enough talent to win a bunch of hockey games especially in this ****ty division

Fire GG

PS: Dougie is great except he is a bit of a softie...no worse than the other stars on the team though

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Agreed. It's hard to tell how much is lack of depth and how much is coaching, though. The bottom six is certainly no murderer's row, and although defensive depth should be good in theory, the 2nd pairing has struggled a lot (also Stone is still overrated and overplayed).

Reactions: Dack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->