Post-Game Talk: Flames vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason #5)

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Seriously, no one else gives a **** that Trouba's split-second-late-but-otherwise-perfectly-legal hit was deemed a deliberate attempt to injure?

I was definitely upset about it, and think that it's ******** Tkachuk didn't receive the same penalty for the exact same hit only moments before.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seriously, no one else gives a **** that Trouba's split-second-late-but-otherwise-perfectly-legal hit was deemed a deliberate attempt to injure?

I thought it was a bit more than a split second late but otherwise agree. It was a hard hit. Trouba lifted up into him. I haven't re-viewed it but I don't think he left his feet and I'm sure he didn't make first or primary contact with the head.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I thought it was a bit more than a split second late but otherwise agree. It was a hard hit. Trouba lifted up into him. I haven't re-viewed it but I don't think he left his feet and I'm sure he didn't make first or primary contact with the head.

I would've been more than fine with a 2 minute interference penalty. It was a bit late. Not sure it was all head or even hard to the head. We haven't heard anything about a suspension yet, and seeing as all match penalties are at least reviewed for suspension, I don't think We'll see more of it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Haha it was pretty clear what Trouba was doing. Even if he barely caught him in the head. It was an easy 5 and a game once the guy stayed down. Tkachuk started the whole mess and his sort of teammate got run. As long as Trouba doesn't get suspended I don't care but he definitely deserved what he got.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
This time of year a lot of players clear who wouldn't a couple of weeks into the season. Teams are preoccupied with making their own difficult decisions. If the pick up a player they have to be prepared to keep him on their roster for the whole season.

I didn't realize they have to keep a player picked on waivers for a whole season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Haha it was pretty clear what Trouba was doing. Even if he barely caught him in the head. It was an easy 5 and a game once the guy stayed down. Tkachuk started the whole mess and his sort of teammate got run. As long as Trouba doesn't get suspended I don't care but he definitely deserved what he got.

I'm all for getting headshots out of the game. I thought it was a bit harsh by NHL standards but if the NHL moves to these standards and calls them consistently then I'm all for it. But given that we saw a case of Tkachuk getting away with a similar attempt I'm doubtful much of anything will actually change.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree, the game was kind of getting chippy and Trouba was still pissed about the hit by Chucky earlier in the game. I think the refs were looking for reasons to throw the both guys out and try to gain control of a meaningless exhibition game that was getting goofy.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I didn't realize they have to keep a player picked on waivers for a whole season.

Well not exactly.

If a team claims a player off waivers, he has to stay on their NHL roster for 30 days (or play in 10 NHL games). If they waive him before that threshold, the original team that waived the player can re-claim him and assign him directly to the AHL without him having to clear waivers again. After the 30-days/10-games he can be waived by the acquiring team - and the original team (and anyone else) could put in a claim and the cycle would start again.

Also, if a team claims a player off waivers, they can't trade him that season without first offering him to any other team that tried to claim him.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I'm just happy he got out of that game.... it was turning into a **** show and I'm happy no one got injured

I was definitely upset about it, and think that it's ******** Tkachuk didn't receive the same penalty for the exact same hit only moments before.

Any vids of these?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Why did he deserve what he got? It clearly wasn't a head shot. How do you call it anymore than a late hit, 2 minutes? Not arguing with you Flair. Just asking. I don't see it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well not exactly.

If a team claims a player off waivers, he has to stay on their NHL roster for 30 days (or play in 10 NHL games). If they waive him before that threshold, the original team that waived the player can re-claim him and assign him directly to the AHL without him having to clear waivers again. After the 30-days/10-games he can be waived by the acquiring team - and the original team (and anyone else) could put in a claim and the cycle would start again.

Also, if a team claims a player off waivers, they can't trade him that season without first offering him to any other team that tried to claim him.

Yes. I misstated it as being full season. My mistake.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

There is no provision for a major penalty for a reckless or dangerous hit. The only 5 minute head shot penalty is for a deliberate attempt to injure. How can you justify that call on this hit?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Well not exactly.

If the claimed player is waived again, the original club is allowed to reclaim the player and send the player down immediately though. So that's why a team needs to be prepared to keep him all year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When he does it against pros in the regular season. He's had a great camp but he's competing against players with a strong track record of success when the games mean something. Four good to great games against fringe players, unengaged vets and prospect in presason isn't enough to unseat anyone in the top 6.

On the right:

Trouba one of the games best dmen and has proven it over a significant time in the NHL. Tucker is not displacing him

Buff is a perennial all-star calibre dmen. Even in a down year still had a good number 3 impact. He's not getting supplanted by Poolman.

Myers: likely the most obvious candidate for Poolman to supplant but once again he's a proven 4/5 dmen. He's also missed significant time, so if the plan is to move him to make room they will need to play him so that he can rebuild some value.

The only player who can go down is Morrssiey who was the 2nd best dmen on the team last year and as a rookie was able to play top pair minutes effectively. He has also been very good this preseason and is younger and better than Tucker. An offside Poolman isn't replacing JoMo.

Its hard to see where he fits off the bat unless there is an injury or trade.

Agreed on the surface there doesn't seem to be a spot and he would be the easy guy to send down. But sometimes a player forces your hand and proves to be a better option than others. Maybe the Jets risk waiving Chiarot? $1.4 M is a pretty big hit for what he brings and if you do it at the end of TC during the wave of players being released he likely passes through. Playing Poolman on the left side next game seems to be an interesting development. Odds are against him sticking but it sure looks like Maurice is giving him a real hard look.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm not to perturbed about the major penalty to Trouba. Regardless of whether the hit was legal or not, it looked bad and devastating, it's the preseason, no reason for the refs to risk letting the game get out of hand

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

no idea how other posters an argue that Trouba's hit wasn't late and intending to hurt a player.
the bottom line: he hit a guy, deserved the penalty and, to be honest, i wouldn't be upset if he's suspended for 1-2 games for it.
Trouba was taking a few head shots last year, and dude has to stop before he ends a player's career (or worse).

also don't get that argument that it was retribution for what Walt Jr did with his head hunting. Trouba likely concussed another player. that garbage has to be eliminated from the league asap

Why did he deserve what he got? It clearly wasn't a head shot. How do you call it anymore than a late hit, 2 minutes? Not arguing with you Flair. Just asking. I don't see it.

the intent of the hit was to injure a player. it wasn't a "hockey play".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATm2wlxrCgU

like, not sure what you're not seeing. Trouba was not playing the puck. he was intending to punish. he has his eyes on the player the entire time. Trouba uses his arm/shoulder to initiate the check.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'm not to perturbed about the major penalty to Trouba. Regardless of whether the hit was legal or not, it looked bad and devastating, it's the preseason, no reason for the refs to risk letting the game get out of hand

If there was a provision in the rule book for a rule 48 major, my position would basically be the same as yours.

It wasn't a major penalty, though, which is my whole issue. It was a match penalty, which can only be assessed when the on-ice official deems that there was a deliberate attempt to injure.

Considering that it was a split second away from a legal hit, I think that was mighty excessive.

no idea how other posters an argue that Trouba's hit wasn't late and intending to hurt a player.
the bottom line: he hit a guy, deserved the penalty and, to be honest, i wouldn't be upset if he's suspended for 1-2 games for it.
Trouba was taking a few head shots last year, and dude has to stop before he ends a player's career (or worse).

Trouba took one headshot last year.

Don't count it when he makes a legal hit--yes, legal his can include significant incidental head contact--that Penguins fans freak out about.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

also don't get that argument that it was retribution for what Walt Jr did with his head hunting. Trouba likely concussed another player. that garbage has to be eliminated from the league asap

the intent of the hit was to injure a player. it wasn't a "hockey play".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATm2wlxrCgU

like, not sure what you're not seeing. Trouba was not playing the puck. he was intending to punish. he has his eyes on the player the entire time. Trouba uses his arm/shoulder to initiate the check.

Pretty much how I saw it. 5 and a match was deserving, and I think he should sit a couple of regular season games. Suspending players for pre-season accomplishes nothing.

And I don't care if Tkachuk did the same thing without penalty. Most of us learn early in life that two wrongs don't make a right. If the refs miss a head hit in a game, that doesn't mean it's open season on players' heads for the rest of the game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pretty much how I saw it. 5 and a match was deserving, and I think he should sit a couple of regular season games. Suspending players for pre-season accomplishes nothing.

And I don't care if Tkachuk did the same thing without penalty. Most of us learn early in life that two wrongs don't make a right. If the refs miss a head hit in a game, that doesn't mean it's open season on players' heads for the rest of the game.

My issue is that there is no logic to suspending Trouba because he received a penalty from the on-ice officials, but Tkachuk gets nothing because the on-ice officials missed it.

It's the inconsistency that needs to be cleared up.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
My issue is that there is no logic to suspending Trouba because he received a penalty from the on-ice officials, but Tkachuk gets nothing because the on-ice officials missed it.

It's the inconsistency that needs to be cleared up.

Since I didn't see the Tkachuk hit I can't comment too much on that one, but I think 30 Helens would agree...

Inconsistency needs to be cleared up. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad