Post-Game Talk: Flames vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason #5)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Maurice said a couple players are nicked up. He didn't specfy specifically who other than Armia and Kostalek. I speculated that Little is one earlier and that's why Petan was given that role tonight. Beyak is probably speculating that Myers has something because he didn't play either and Buff's played 4 so far. He might be on to something.

i was positive we wouldn't see Enstrom for the rest of the game after a seemingly harmless collision on his 1st shift. he skated off REALLY slowly to the bench.

i'm not worried about Myers at this point of the pre-season. i mean, apply the same level of uh-ohness to Myers as you do to Little and Matty P because those three seem like bubble wrap players.

in the end, if any (or all) of those 3 and Lowry are short-term injured, i ain't panicking. Chiarot's even looked ok in the pre-season. i haven't minded him. I'd rather have Poolman, mind you, since he looks really, really interesting.

due to the numbers, Lipon starts in the A. never thought i'd see him competing for an NHL job, but yeah, nice training came, sir.

the sad part is that all of our bubble forwards have zero value. you just hope you put Matthias on waivers and another team picks him up. he's the most logical choice to option out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
While I have been pretty impressed with Poolman this is jumping the gun a bit. It's preseason and we have seen dominant performances before only for things to not work out quite so well when the games mean something. We also played Calgary's C or D team last night so our players should have dominated.

I agree we need to see him in the actual full speed regular season NHL games where it's best on best but I think it is worth noting when we fielded our C team in Edmonton against a good Oiler line up he looked very good. Now that was preseason but the Poolman is big, moves well, is smart, confident, poised, and really skilled. The kid looks and feels like a player to me at least. I am just thrilled we have quality depth for once.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree we need to see him in the actual full speed regular season NHL games where it's best on best but I think it is worth noting when we fielded our C team in Edmonton against a good Oiler line up he looked very good. Now that was preseason but the Poolman is big, moves well, is smart, confident, poised, and really skilled. The kid looks and feels like a player to me at least. I am just thrilled we have quality depth for once.

Oh i agree that he looks to have NHL talent and poise and might be a top 4 at some point but I won't put him in such a role until he proves it over a large enough sample in the regular season.

Despite Morrissey's great preseason last year it took him roughly half the year for the metrics to show him as a legit top 4 dmen and Morrissey made a quicker than usual transition to the NHL.

But I agree that its great to have this kind of depth. I don't think we have had a defensive call up option as polished as Poolman.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Only a couple of points to add:

1) Please keep Ehlers and Laine together.

2) Not saying he played well, but I saw Kulikov getting singled out for the 1st goal against. Turned it over at the opposition blue line for sure, but Trouba played Monahan terribly. Monahan is streaking up the middle, and Trouba is ignoring him and only focused on the guy infront of him on his side. Trouba needed to identify Monahan much earlier, and leave the guy on his side to the Jets who were trailing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Finally a little scoring to get lit over.

Poolman plays a poised skilled game. Handles the puck well in tight spaces, has enough jump to get out of danger and move the puck, and reads the play with some well timed pinches and joining the rush at the right times.

I have Lipon in my starting lineup, over Tanev, over Dano and over Mathias right now.

Sorry, Petan just has not shown enough to state he is a top 6 player on this team. He was ok last night, but he needed to show better than ok. He does not retrieve pucks well, lost a few battles down low in our end that resulted in scoring ops. When you saddle him with 2 other players that are not great at digging out pucks, that line never had the bite it should of had. Petan needs to have the puck retrieved for him, to be effective. Needs to be a permanent winger if he hopes to make this team going forward.

Dano had a solid game, not sure if it was enough, needs to follow up with another solid game.

I know Mathias worked hard during the offseason, but it has not translated on the ice so far. He needs to have a strong finish to this preseason, or he will be a PB player opening day. He struggled last night I thought.

Copp should be centering the 4rth or even the 3rd line to start this season, depending on where Lowry and Armia line up.

Connor is noticeably quick last night, thought he was in the right spots, just needs a bounce here or there. I tend to agree that he should start on the 3rd line to begin the season, then move up for injury or when PoMos blender comes out. He is right there for turning the corner into a full-time NHL player, so much skill, and his improved strength is noticeable as well, much stronger on the puck.

I am starting to think there are 2 spots left to compete for, 3rd and 4rth line wingers, and I believe Lipon might have a shot at the 4rth line wing spot.

Why do you even mention Petan and top 6 in the same sentence? He doesn't need to make the top 6. At no time has he had even the slimmest of chances to make the top 6, even if he was much better than he is. He needs to make the top 9, in other words he needs to make the third line.

I would have liked to see more from him last night to do that. He made some good plays but was invisible much of the time. OTOH he centred a line that played well. He must have done something right.

I agree his best bet is as a wing.

Lipon, Dano, Connor, Petan and Tanev all played well last night. Yes, Tanev too.

I think Tanev may have avoided being waived. He shouldn't have earned a spot other than the PB but he may have won that at least.

We had a vacancy at 4RW. I think Lipon has won it, at least so far. Dano and Petan are still fighting an uphill battle. There are going to be some tough decisions.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Bubble player thoughts

Connor - I put him in here as a bubble player because he hasn't been spectacular so far this preseason and we all have him penciled in to the lineup. I think he was good last night. Not great but just good. He really seems to be aware of his defensive responsiblities and I think it sometimes comes with a cost to his offensive capabilities but he might have to play this way to prove he belongs. But look when he does have a chance all he needs is one to score and that is something a lot of the other guys can't do. Case in the point that shot he rang of the crossbar.

Dano - This is the kind of game as a coach I think you really like his game. He was up and done on his wing, he was in the corners fighting and cycling. He went hard to the net and got his nose dirty. He finished checks and created offense. Just a very nice pro game from Dano last night.

Petan - I thought he would have a hard job last night playing between two guys who maybe are not the best defensive guys in the world. I thought he did pretty good covering for them and allowing them to do what they are so good at. I thought he got better on the offensive side as the game went along too. I think he went a long way to showing he can play in the top 6 if Little goes down.

Lipon - Another very serviceable game from Lipon. He has a lot of good qualities for a 4th liner in todays game. I thought he was at his "truculent" best tonight. Had some good chances to score and generally out played Calgarys slugs they played. I think due to the cap he goes down but he has to be a 1st call up guy now.

Tanev - I thought he was hustling hard all night. He has no hands whatsoever but he does get chances and create chances. He was back checking like a madman as well. Another guy that could get sent down due to the numbers but not a bad call up to have.

Copp - Went into beast mode last night. Was all over the ice it seemed like and he had a lot of really good chances. He is a player that is hard not to like.

Poolman/Chairot - I thought Chairot had a solid game but here is the thing. Poolman had a great game. He just got better as the game went a long. Too me he can play in the NHL right now and excel. There is just no spot for him. Chairot gets the 7th spot because they can afford to have him sit in the pressbox but I got to think if someone gets hurt for an extended period Poolman will be up and playing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Only a couple of points to add:

1) Please keep Ehlers and Laine together.

2) Not saying he played well, but I saw Kulikov getting singled out for the 1st goal against. Turned it over at the opposition blue line for sure, but Trouba played Monahan terribly. Monahan is streaking up the middle, and Trouba is ignoring him and only focused on the guy infront of him on his side. Trouba needed to identify Monahan much earlier, and leave the guy on his side to the Jets who were trailing.

Trouba was also very lazy coming back on Monahan.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know the right choice is to send Poolman down due to contract status and need to play big minutes. But at what point does someone do enough to push their way in despite what the easy decision is?

No matter how much he does (within reason) he has no chance of displacing any of the current top 6 D. If all contract considerations are removed, who does he take a job from? Keep in mind that we haven't yet seen him play a single game against a real NHL opponent. Also that if he has to play the left side he might do very well but it will still have some impact on his effectiveness.

I think we should just be satisfied knowing that we have a strong prospect in the A ready for insertion into the lineup with the first injury. The fact is that he will probably get at least 30 games in the NHL this year. It could easily be 60.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bubble player thoughts

Connor - I put him in here as a bubble player because he hasn't been spectacular so far this preseason and we all have him penciled in to the lineup. I think he was good last night. Not great but just good. He really seems to be aware of his defensive responsiblities and I think it sometimes comes with a cost to his offensive capabilities but he might have to play this way to prove he belongs. But look when he does have a chance all he needs is one to score and that is something a lot of the other guys can't do. Case in the point that shot he rang of the crossbar.

Dano - This is the kind of game as a coach I think you really like his game. He was up and done on his wing, he was in the corners fighting and cycling. He went hard to the net and got his nose dirty. He finished checks and created offense. Just a very nice pro game from Dano last night.

Petan - I thought he would have a hard job last night playing between two guys who maybe are not the best defensive guys in the world. I thought he did pretty good covering for them and allowing them to do what they are so good at. I thought he got better on the offensive side as the game went along too. I think he went a long way to showing he can play in the top 6 if Little goes down.

Lipon - Another very serviceable game from Lipon. He has a lot of good qualities for a 4th liner in todays game. I thought he was at his "truculent" best tonight. Had some good chances to score and generally out played Calgarys slugs they played. I think due to the cap he goes down but he has to be a 1st call up guy now.

Tanev - I thought he was hustling hard all night. He has no hands whatsoever but he does get chances and create chances. He was back checking like a madman as well. Another guy that could get sent down due to the numbers but not a bad call up to have.

Copp - Went into beast mode last night. Was all over the ice it seemed like and he had a lot of really good chances. He is a player that is hard not to like.

Poolman/Chairot - I thought Chairot had a solid game but here is the thing. Poolman had a great game. He just got better as the game went a long. Too me he can play in the NHL right now and excel. There is just no spot for him. Chairot gets the 7th spot because they can afford to have him sit in the pressbox but I got to think if someone gets hurt for an extended period Poolman will be up and playing

Agree with all of this... :handclap:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know the right choice is to send Poolman down due to contract status and need to play big minutes. But at what point does someone do enough to push their way in despite what the easy decision is?

When he does it against pros in the regular season. He's had a great camp but he's competing against players with a strong track record of success when the games mean something. Four good to great games against fringe players, unengaged vets and prospect in presason isn't enough to unseat anyone in the top 6.

On the right:

Trouba one of the games best dmen and has proven it over a significant time in the NHL. Tucker is not displacing him

Buff is a perennial all-star calibre dmen. Even in a down year still had a good number 3 impact. He's not getting supplanted by Poolman.

Myers: likely the most obvious candidate for Poolman to supplant but once again he's a proven 4/5 dmen. He's also missed significant time, so if the plan is to move him to make room they will need to play him so that he can rebuild some value.

The only player who can go down is Morrssiey who was the 2nd best dmen on the team last year and as a rookie was able to play top pair minutes effectively. He has also been very good this preseason and is younger and better than Tucker. An offside Poolman isn't replacing JoMo.

Its hard to see where he fits off the bat unless there is an injury or trade.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
i was positive we wouldn't see Enstrom for the rest of the game after a seemingly harmless collision on his 1st shift. he skated off REALLY slowly to the bench.

i'm not worried about Myers at this point of the pre-season. i mean, apply the same level of uh-ohness to Myers as you do to Little and Matty P because those three seem like bubble wrap players.

in the end, if any (or all) of those 3 and Lowry are short-term injured, i ain't panicking. Chiarot's even looked ok in the pre-season. i haven't minded him. I'd rather have Poolman, mind you, since he looks really, really interesting.

due to the numbers, Lipon starts in the A. never thought i'd see him competing for an NHL job, but yeah, nice training came, sir.

the sad part is that all of our bubble forwards have zero value. you just hope you put Matthias on waivers and another team picks him up. he's the most logical choice to option out.

Uh...Myers missed 71 games last year and was reportedly "just around the corner" multiple times and never made it back into a game. We don't even know what caused his injury. That's a little different than missing 8 games because of a slash or whatever...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bubble player thoughts

Good post. 100% agree.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
the problem with sending Lipon down is that he doesn't clear waivers. he has shown too much to be ignored by lesser teams.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I find it very interesting to read everyone's take on last nights game and how the bubble and new players performed. While there seems to be a general consensus, the usual suspects seem to have a wider range of opinions. Some players seem to be more of a lightning rod for disagreement.

#1- Dano- He seems to have the most widespread opinions. Always has. I don't think he had a bad game at all. Probably his best game so far. This was a key game for him to show that he belongs and I just don't think he did enough. Maybe enough for last year, but others have pushed hard for the limited spots available. The only thing that might keep him in for the opening lineup is that he would have to clear waivers. I don't see him lasting long with the team, barring a huge turn around.

#2- Kulikov - Mostly negatives, but some think he's been ok. Many calling him the next Stu (Stulikov lol). I think that's a bit unfair, although very clever. I thought his game was good at times and not so great at times as well. I do believe that his game will improve once he settles in with the team. Does give us more depth.

#3- Kyle Connor- Pretty wide range of opinions here. Honestly, I just haven't seen enough from him so far. My gut says that he should go back to the Moose to start. I know there's arguments that he has nothing to prove there, but I just don't think he's done enough to earn a spot. If we do keep him, I think he plays 3rd line sheltered minutes, but with talented players that are creative, like MP and or Petan. He's a tough one to figure out where he needs to be to grow his game.

#4- Nick Petan- If there's any one player I really want to see succeed, it's Nick. Opinions seem to be all over the place on him and I can see why. I think last night was his strongest game of the preseason. But did he show enough? Very close to call, but given the limited spots, maybe not. IMO, he really needs time with top players like last night. What I see is glimpses of his junior form, but just a touch off. He's holding on to the puck too long and needs to get better at dishing it off quicker. With him in the lineup, and Connor playing to his potential, we have 3 top notch scoring lines. I'm far from ready to give Petan away. But I agree that he has to play.

#5- Mason- I thought he was pretty solid. That second goal was probably deflected and was kind of hard to get a bead on it. What really bugs me is that for a guy who has been touted as a puck handling goalie, he sure had some shaky moments out there. Let's hope that it's just an adjustment period and that will fix itself as we go on. But I'm really, really tired of having goaltenders that create problems every time they venture out of their net or play the puck. (Berdin??)

#6- Lowery- probably the widest range of opinions and a lightning rod for heated arguments around here. I've always liked Lowery and what he brings. He's good at face offs, strong on the puck in the dirty zones and creates havoc in front of the net. A bit more scoring touch would help a lot. It's tougher this year to justify his spot. But he adds a lot of toughness and those other qualities that we just don't get from anyone else. For that reason, he makes the team, IMO.

Guys we all agree on
Poolman- pretty obvious he's already an NHLer. Just a matter of time before he moves up the depth chart.
Lipon- the surprise of TC as far as I'm concerned. Probably earned another game and quite possibly a spot. Definitely will be one of the first call ups.
Tanev- I was ready to have him shipped down with the initial cuts. He certainly made the most out of his opportunity didn't he? I thought his line sparked the team in the first period and finished with a really good 3rd. I agree with a previous post that we know what he brings and one game shouldn't change much. But I think he's earned another game.
Copp- His game has grown and was very solid. I can't see us starting without him Oct 3rd.

All in all, there's much to like about this team this year. This preseason has a very different feel to it than the others. I really like the way we spread out the talent over 3 lines last night. I hope this is the way we go and have a speedy 4th checking line.
Some very tough decisions to be made. At the same time, any of the guys that get sent down add to our depth when injuries inevitably start to happen. (Barring waivers)

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I find it very interesting to read everyone's take on last nights game and how the bubble and new players performed. While there seems to be a general consensus, the usual suspects seem to have a wider range of opinions. Some players seem to be more of a lightning rod for disagreement.

#1- Dano- He seems to have the most widespread opinions. Always has. I don't think he had a bad game at all. Probably his best game so far. This was a key game for him to show that he belongs and I just don't think he did enough. Maybe enough for last year, but others have pushed hard for the limited spots available. The only thing that might keep him in for the opening lineup is that he would have to clear waivers. I don't see him lasting long with the team, barring a huge turn around.

#2- Kulikov - Mostly negatives, but some think he's been ok. Many calling him the next Stu (Stulikov lol). I think that's a bit unfair, although very clever. I thought his game was good at times and not so great at times as well. I do believe that his game will improve once he settles in with the team. Does give us more depth.

#3- Kyle Connor- Pretty wide range of opinions here. Honestly, I just haven't seen enough from him so far. My gut says that he should go back to the Moose to start. I know there's arguments that he has nothing to prove there, but I just don't think he's done enough to earn a spot. If we do keep him, I think he plays 3rd line sheltered minutes, but with talented players that are creative, like MP and or Petan. He's a tough one to figure out where he needs to be to grow his game.

#4- Nick Petan- If there's any one player I really want to see succeed, it's Nick. Opinions seem to be all over the place on him and I can see why. I think last night was his strongest game of the preseason. But did he show enough? Very close to call, but given the limited spots, maybe not. IMO, he really needs time with top players like last night. What I see is glimpses of his junior form, but just a touch off. He's holding on to the puck too long and needs to get better at dishing it off quicker. With him in the lineup, and Connor playing to his potential, we have 3 top notch scoring lines. I'm far from ready to give Petan away. But I agree that he has to play.

#5- Mason- I thought he was pretty solid. That second goal was probably deflected and was kind of hard to get a bead on it. What really bugs me is that for a guy who has been touted as a puck handling goalie, he sure had some shaky moments out there. Let's hope that it's just an adjustment period and that will fix itself as we go on. But I'm really, really tired of having goaltenders that create problems every time they venture out of their net or play the puck. (Berdin??)

#6- Lowery- probably the widest range of opinions and a lightning rod for heated arguments around here. I've always liked Lowery and what he brings. He's good at face offs, strong on the puck in the dirty zones and creates havoc in front of the net. A bit more scoring touch would help a lot. It's tougher this year to justify his spot. But he adds a lot of toughness and those other qualities that we just don't get from anyone else. For that reason, he makes the team, IMO.

Guys we all agree on
Poolman- pretty obvious he's already an NHLer. Just a matter of time before he moves up the depth chart.
Lipon- the surprise of TC as far as I'm concerned. Probably earned another game and quite possibly a spot. Definitely will be one of the first call ups.
Tanev- I was ready to have him shipped down with the initial cuts. He certainly made the most out of his opportunity didn't he? I thought his line sparked the team in the first period and finished with a really good 3rd. I agree with a previous post that we know what he brings and one game shouldn't change much. But I think he's earned another game.
Copp- His game has grown and was very solid. I can't see us starting without him Oct 3rd.

All in all, there's much to like about this team this year. This preseason has a very different feel to it than the others. I really like the way we spread out the talent over 3 lines last night. I hope this is the way we go and have a speedy 4th checking line.
Some very tough decisions to be made. At the same time, any of the guys that get sent down add to our depth when injuries inevitably start to happen. (Barring waivers)

It's interesting asking whether guys like Connor and Petan have shown enough because it's not like the competetion has shown enough either.

Connor has been fine imo, it's obvious to me he's been asked to focus more on defense and I think he's been good doing it. His major competetion for the slot is Mathias and imo Mathias didn't do enough last season to cement it and has had an inferior camp to Connor so he's more deserving atm.

Petan has been better than all the competetion for that last RW spot. Guys like Tanev and Dano haven't outplayed him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bubble player thoughts

Good summary Joe.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the problem with sending Lipon down is that he doesn't clear waivers. he has shown too much to be ignored by lesser teams.

This time of year a lot of players clear who wouldn't a couple of weeks into the season. Teams are preoccupied with making their own difficult decisions. If the pick up a player they have to be prepared to keep him on their roster for the whole season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

#1- Dano- He seems to have the most widespread opinions. Always has. I don't think he had a bad game at all. Probably his best game so far. This was a key game for him to show that he belongs and I just don't think he did enough. Maybe enough for last year, but others have pushed hard for the limited spots available. The only thing that might keep him in for the opening lineup is that he would have to clear waivers. I don't see him lasting long with the team, barring a huge turn around. This may be an important point. If he has won a spot this year, how long will it be before he is pushed out? Maybe we need to pump up his value and try to get something for him. The same might apply to Petan, to some extent. If he can be 3C this year (big if) he probably loses that spot to Roslovic next year anyway.

#2- Kulikov - Mostly negatives, but some think he's been ok. Many calling him the next Stu (Stulikov lol). I think that's a bit unfair, although very clever. I thought his game was good at times and not so great at times as well. I do believe that his game will improve once he settles in with the team. Does give us more depth. I thought Kuli was really good in the previous game. Not all that bad this game but not as good as the game before. Still a big upgrade on Stu. There is no Stulikov. Funny though.

#3- Kyle Connor- Pretty wide range of opinions here. Honestly, I just haven't seen enough from him so far. My gut says that he should go back to the Moose to start. I know there's arguments that he has nothing to prove there, but I just don't think he's done enough to earn a spot. If we do keep him, I think he plays 3rd line sheltered minutes, but with talented players that are creative, like MP and or Petan. He's a tough one to figure out where he needs to be to grow his game. My opinion is a little mixed. I think we keep him and he settles in fairly quickly. So far he really hasn't shown quite enough but we know there is more there.

#4- Nick Petan- If there's any one player I really want to see succeed, it's Nick. Opinions seem to be all over the place on him and I can see why. I think last night was his strongest game of the preseason. But did he show enough? Very close to call, but given the limited spots, maybe not. IMO, he really needs time with top players like last night. What I see is glimpses of his junior form, but just a touch off. He's holding on to the puck too long and needs to get better at dishing it off quicker. With him in the lineup, and Connor playing to his potential, we have 3 top notch scoring lines. I'm far from ready to give Petan away. But I agree that he has to play. Yes, he needs to be better but I think he has been good enough. I want to see him start the season with MP and Armia. If the line doesn't click right off the bat, stick with it for a while.

#5- Mason- I thought he was pretty solid. That second goal was probably deflected and was kind of hard to get a bead on it. What really bugs me is that for a guy who has been touted as a puck handling goalie, he sure had some shaky moments out there. Let's hope that it's just an adjustment period and that will fix itself as we go on. But I'm really, really tired of having goaltenders that create problems every time they venture out of their net or play the puck. (Berdin??) I thought he was a little 'off' for the first half of the game, fighting the puck. Improved later.

#6- Lowery- probably the widest range of opinions and a lightning rod for heated arguments around here. I've always liked Lowery and what he brings. He's good at face offs, strong on the puck in the dirty zones and creates havoc in front of the net. A bit more scoring touch would help a lot. It's tougher this year to justify his spot. But he adds a lot of toughness and those other qualities that we just don't get from anyone else. For that reason, he makes the team, IMO. I see him as our fallback 3C if everyone else fails. He is OK there but needs more offense to really be a 3C. Longer term I see him as a 4C and a very good one.

Guys we all agree on
Lipon- the surprise of TC as far as I'm concerned. Probably earned another game and quite possibly a spot. Definitely will be one of the first call ups. I have him as my choice for 4RW to start the season.
Tanev- I was ready to have him shipped down with the initial cuts. He certainly made the most out of his opportunity didn't he? I thought his line sparked the team in the first period and finished with a really good 3rd. I agree with a previous post that we know what he brings and one game shouldn't change much. But I think he's earned another game. He looks better than last year to me. Has earned a PB spot.
Copp- His game has grown and was very solid. I can't see us starting without him Oct 3rd. If all was to go the way I hope he would be 4LW but if Petan can't handle 3C I have Copp there before Lowry.

Another good summary post.

My comments in red.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Seriously, no one else gives a **** that Trouba's split-second-late-but-otherwise-perfectly-legal hit was deemed a deliberate attempt to injure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad