GDT: Flames vs. Canucks: Sept. 15th: 5:30 PM PDT/6:30 PM MDT

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So; who would we make our three stars for this tournament?

I think Smith, Ferland and Johnny Hockey get the nod in no particular order. I was incredibly impressed by Smith, just made me love that pick even more... He is an absolute tough customer with some hands, at his age too.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
This was the first game of the tournament I liked Smith in. He kept up the toughness but in his shifts he cycled the puck to keep the play and went to the net consistently and it eventually paid off for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This was the first game of the tournament I liked Smith in. He kept up the toughness but in his shifts he cycled the puck to keep the play and went to the net consistently and it eventually paid off for him.

He needs to still grow some hands, though. Too many pucks roll off his stick for my liking right now, but I'm impressed with what he does bring to the table.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
He did. I, in turn, defended the act by Byron as simply an unfortunate outcome on a hustle play, but AF was pretty convinced that it was a dirty play.

Went through the whole thread, this is his only comment on the topic.

We knew it wasn't bad when Bieksa wasn't upset and stated it was not malicious and just awkward. But very glad to hear Byron reached out, that's the type we want our boys to have.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Great that we got the win! Nice to hear Smith had another good game and that Ramage seems to be taking another step this year.

Only 22 days away now, I can't wait!!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So; who would we make our three stars for this tournament?

I think Smith, Ferland and Johnny Hockey get the nod in no particular order. I was incredibly impressed by Smith, just made me love that pick even more... He is an absolute tough customer with some hands, at his age too.

I disagree with the Johnny Hockey and Smith stars, my three would be:

1) Ferland
2) Jooris
3) Granlund

HM's: BVB, Elson

EDIT: These were my stars for just the Canucks game.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Went through the whole thread, this is his only comment on the topic.

I did the same thing; I was going to go through the thread and show the post in question... unfortunately I found the same thing. Now I'm wondering what thread that conversation was in. It's not in the Byron threads that I can find. :shakehead

EDIT: Never mind, I found it... in the Joe Colborne thread of all places:

:laugh::laugh:

So Byron has 63 hits in 47 games (1.34 hits per game) and Colborne has 129 hits in 80 games (1.61 hits per game), yet Byron plays a bigger game? Colborne is more physically involved and is better along the boards. The only reason Byron appears to be more physical is because he is more reckless and a borderline dirty player.

I know everyone is going to try to rip me apart for that because everyone thinks his hit on Sedin is a good thing, but it's not and that is a hit I have seen him make on more than a few occasions (as well as worse hits) in his time with the AHL club.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I did the same thing; I was going to go through the thread and show the post in question... unfortunately I found the same thing. Now I'm wondering what thread that conversation was in. It's not in the Byron threads that I can find. :shakehead

Boom, roasted.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

Your quote and my quote appear to be a bit contradictory. That's fine I concede that at one point in time, albeit at a different time than the incident occured, when the conversation was brought back up, he did say something that confirms his statement, even though at the time of the incident he said something completely different.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Your quote and my quote appear to be a bit contradictory. That's fine I concede that at one point in time, albeit at a different time than the incident occured, when the conversation was brought back up, he did say something that confirms his statement, even though at the time of the incident he said something completely different.

Indeed, at the time of the incident, AdirondackFlames didn't actually say anything at all regarding the hit. He merely pointed out that Byron had acted appropriately given the circumstance after the game. But he did make his thoughts clear later on the hit itself.

Regardless, I think the salient point here is that one bad egg shouldn't spoil the bunch. There were a few people on this board in that thread cheering the injury of Sedin (a lot of deleted comments in that thread), and while it doesn't include many of the regulars here, who were irritated by those sentiments bringing down the reputation of the board, it's equally likely that the majority of the Canucks board was uncomfortable with those comments made by their fellow board-members regarding Bennett and Gaudreau. Reading through the thread, the Canucks board actually had a lot of good things to say about the two players throughout the game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What you quoted my me commenting on Bieksa's reaction after the game when we knew there was no serious injury.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Indeed, at the time of the incident, AdirondackFlames didn't actually say anything at all regarding the hit. He merely pointed out that Byron had acted appropriately given the circumstance after the game. But he did make his thoughts clear later on the hit itself.

Regardless, I think the salient point here is that one bad egg shouldn't spoil the bunch. There were a few people on this board in that thread cheering the injury of Sedin (a lot of deleted comments in that thread), and while it doesn't include many of the regulars here, who were irritated by those sentiments bringing down the reputation of the board, it's equally likely that the majority of the Canucks board was uncomfortable with those comments made by their fellow board-members regarding Bennett and Gaudreau. Reading through the thread, the Canucks board actually had a lot of good things to say about the two players throughout the game.
I think I must have been in a chat with a small group of friends I go to on game days then, because I clearly remember ripping Byron when it happened. But I most certainly didn't cheer the hit, nor would I ever cheer for one of our guys for making a dirty hit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think I must have been in a chat with a small group of friends I go to on game days then, because I clearly remember ripping Byron when it happened. But I most certainly didn't cheer the hit, nor would I ever cheer for one of our guys for making a dirty hit.

You did say this on the main board, but it's far from ripping into him:

I hope Sedin is okay.

Byron will probably get 3-5 games to open next season, which will be deserved. He might be small but he has made a few questionable hits in the past with the Heat the last couple years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's a fine line playing the role of an agitator and doing it clean and with class versus being a "dirty" player. I'm fine with Byron pushing the boundaries and even crossing them unintentionally at times, but a player has to show restraint in certain situations and that's the trick, knowing when those times are.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You did say this on the main board, but it's far from ripping into him:
The more I think about it the more I think it was in that chat group with friends since I rarely post during games. It's hard to keep track :laugh:

It's a fine line playing the role of an agitator and doing it clean and with class versus being a "dirty" player. I'm fine with Byron pushing the boundaries and even crossing them unintentionally at times, but a player has to show restraint in certain situations and that's the trick, knowing when those times are.
Agreed completely, Byron just has to learn a little more restraint

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I cheered the Byron hit. Didn't think it was dirty at all. Loved it.

Felt bad after I saw Sedin was injured. Oh well. Come at me.

/shrug

I was okay with that Byron hit. Not because it was borderline on a rival, it's because the Canucks have that team... that you just hate.
That game Big Ern got kicked out, and they were just running around dirty as hell... I mean, sometimes you make your own bed... and you have to sleep in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad