l2lB3T4.gif

l2lB3T4.gif

l2lB3T4.gif
l2lB3T4.gif

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Also, I really really think Giordano was underappreciated this game because people are so used to him just being a ****ing legend on the ice. He was one of the highlights for me, I didn't think he could top last year but he looks like he's gonna do everything in his power to do just that.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Also, I really really think Giordano was underappreciated this game because people are so used to him just being a ****ing legend on the ice. He was one of the highlights for me, I didn't think he could top last year but he looks like he's gonna do everything in his power to do just that.

When was he under appreciated this game? Just though I would ask.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I may have been guilty of underappreciating him. I honestly didn't notice Brodano once during the third period.

Brodie and Gio only played 20 minutes. In blowouts Hartley plays them less in the third period to give them some rest and to limit their chance of suffering an injury. Similar to what happens to good running backs in blowouts in the 4th quarter. No need to lean on those guys

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Props to our boys, but my Gawd is the Canes D ever horrid, I mean in the 25 years I've been following hockey they are up there with the worst I've seen. I feel like we scored the same goal 3 or even 4 times, one of our guys coming down the wing, puts it across the crease to the streaking man on the opposite side, and in. No adjustments were made, the team got worse as the game went on. The Canes are probably worse than the Sabres. One thing I'm happy about is you can tell this is a changed team post Iginla, and our coaching staff deserves all the credit. We didn't play down to the Canes level, we are a team that has no expectations, yet we played our game to our potential and we spanked them as a result.

Before this season started, I legitimately thought we would be worse than last season. But if Hartley can continue to pull strings like this, well playoffs may not be impossible. I'm not predicting anything, but we are playing a team game, everyone is buying in and we have terrific goaltending, so as of today it's not out of the question. But a ton of things would need to happen and our players need to continue to grow by leaps and bounds. No matter what, I'm proud to be a fan of this team again.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brodie and Gio only played 20 minutes. In blowouts Hartley plays them less in the third period to give them some rest and to limit their chance of suffering an injury. Similar to what happens to good running backs in blowouts in the 4th quarter. No need to lean on those guys

That's what I figured was happening. Seemed like a steady diet of the bottom 4 in the third. I'd be surprised if Brodano broke 5 minutes in the frame.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I had to watch this game on my phone; the guy who really stood out to me again was TJ Brodie seemed like every time I was able to watch some of the game he was bringing the puck through the neutral zone as everyone else on the ice just watched him skate.

and something that doesnt show up on any stat sheet Matt Stajan goal if the Dman had covered Stajan properly TJ still would have given Byron an assist as he was the 3rd man in wide open.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
The vCash the Flames have been providing is sooooo sweet! If only it was real :(

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Listen, we shouldn't harp on the Canes that much. They may not have won a game at the Dome in 12 years, but they've certainly won some important games in Alberta and we should never forget that. For that alone, I'll always have a soft spot for them :sarcasm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Props to our boys, but my Gawd is the Canes D ever horrid, I mean in the 25 years I've been following hockey they are up there with the worst I've seen. I feel like we scored the same goal 3 or even 4 times, one of our guys coming down the wing, puts it across the crease to the streaking man on the opposite side, and in. No adjustments were made, the team got worse as the game went on. The Canes are probably worse than the Sabres. One thing I'm happy about is you can tell this is a changed team post Iginla, and our coaching staff deserves all the credit. We didn't play down to the Canes level, we are a team that has no expectations, yet we played our game to our potential and we spanked them as a result.

Before this season started, I legitimately thought we would be worse than last season. But if Hartley can continue to pull strings like this, well playoffs may not be impossible. I'm not predicting anything, but we are playing a team game, everyone is buying in and we have terrific goaltending, so as of today it's not out of the question. But a ton of things would need to happen and our players need to continue to grow by leaps and bounds. No matter what, I'm proud to be a fan of this team again.

Here's the problem, Hox:

Pacific:

San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles

Central:

St. Louis
Chicago
Dallas
Nashville
Minnesota

Are we going to end up with a better record than any one of these teams?

And then even if one of those teams falters, there are many other teams similarly poised to take advantage. The odds against us are astronomical, to put it plainly. And even if we play like we have been and make ourselves proud, that's going to end up with a 10-12th place finish that we all dread.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Anglesmith, great points. I think our competition will be the San Jose Sharks and the Vancouver Canucks for that #3 spot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's the problem, Hox:

Pacific:

San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles

Central:

St. Louis
Chicago
Dallas
Nashville
Minnesota

Are we going to end up with a better record than any one of these teams?

And then even if one of those teams falters, there are many other teams similarly poised to take advantage. The odds against us are astronomical, to put it plainly. And even if we play like we have been and make ourselves proud, that's going to end up with a 10-12th place finish that we all dread.

I still don't expect it to happen, it's way to early to make any predictions but I don't think it's impossible. As you pointed out, the West is insane, however the Flames can't be concerned about that and who they're up against, they need to focus on themselves and things will work itself out in the end. Previous years have shown that teams like Phoenix and Nashville squeak in when they have no business being there much by playing the way the Flames are currently. So while it's highly unlikely that we see playoffs this year, if the Flames continue to play this way all season, you can't rule it out.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
When was he under appreciated this game? Just though I would ask.

I'm not saying that he was underappreciated at any point in particular this game. I'm saying Gio's all-around play tonight was fantastic, but that he's had such a great start to the season that we as a fanbase have gotten used to it. I was looking at him every time he was on the ice, but it seems no-one else felt they had to comment on how exceptional his play was, because it's become the norm for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad