GDT: Flames vs Blue Jackets @ the Dome - Mar 4, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Their PP is basically to have Connor feed Draisaitl across the slot for one timers. And every time the other team breaks that up the puck fortuitously bounces to the tape of Neal/Hopkins/Chiasson.

Probably not gonna fly in a dedicated playoff series.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Their PP is basically to have Connor feed Draisaitl across the slot for one timers. And every time the other team breaks that up the puck fortuitously bounces to the tape of Neal/Hopkins/Chiasson.

Unless they play Calgary or Vancouver

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
So exciting that you feel the need to come to the Calgary Flames sub forum to mention it?

Not particularly. I enjoy reading the different forums. Toronto and Calgary are my most hated teams in the NHL. I still enjoy seeing how the fans view the team. It is interesting to me. Hell, I even enjoy reading Calgary puck and their Edmonton is no good thread. There is so much hate and animosity, I can't help but read it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So exciting that you feel the need to come to the Calgary Flames sub forum to mention it?
Oiler fans are totally obsessed with the Calgary Flames. Yesterday in their OT thread they had 4 pages of posts about the Flames vs Blue Jackets game... most of them whining about the Flames or cheering on the Jackets.
Our own GDT only had 3 pages of posts about the game/team. Oiler fans talk more about the Flames than Flames fans do. They have a pathological obsession about the Flames that isn't healthy. I chalk it up to their huge inferiority complex that has developed over the years... whether its a city to city comparison or a team to team comparison.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
p
Idk , Connor McDavid and Leon draisaitl is pretty exciting. Lol
Yes they are. Unfortunately for Edmonton they only play 82 days a year (assuming McDavid isn't injured or sick which seems to be a yearly occurrence)... the rest of the year what is there? And please don't mention the 40 year old decrepit West Edmonton Mall or the Klondike Days that nobody outside of Alberta has ever heard of.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
p
Yes they are. Unfortunately for Edmonton they only play 82 days a year (assuming McDavid isn't injured or sick which seems to be a yearly occurrence)... the rest of the year what is there? And please don't mention the 40 year old decrepit West Edmonton Mall or the Klondike Days that nobody outside of Alberta has ever heard of.

I lived here for 26 years of my 30 year old life.
1.5 years in Vancouver and another 1.5 in Calgary. Edmonton is a boring city without hockey compared to Vancouver and Calgary because of the mountains and ocean.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I lived here for 26 years of my 30 year old life.
1.5 years in Vancouver and another 1.5 in Calgary. Edmonton is a boring city without hockey compared to Vancouver and Calgary because of the mountains and ocean.
Calgary's world class ocean waves are the envy of California and our fresh ocean salmon makes Tokyo cry harakiri and our heavy snow covered peaks, fed by the ocean nipping at it's heels, has the ski bunnies firmly perked. Calgary is vastly better than Edmonton.

Shot Blocker

Nov 11, 2006
Oil Country

There's no reason to believe the Oilers PP won't work in a dedicated playoff series. The facts are they currently have the 4th Best PP% of all time (29.8%) & the best since the Isles led the NHL with a 31.2-percent success rate in 1978-79; no team has exceeded 30 percent since then.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
There's no reason to believe the Oilers PP won't work in a dedicated playoff series. The facts are they currently have the 4th Best PP% of all time (29.8%) & the best since the Isles led the NHL with a 31.2-percent success rate in 1978-79; no team has exceeded 30 percent since then.

Yeah the fact that no team has had a PP% that high in 40 years should tell you a lot, 25% is probably doable but right now the powerplay is likely overachieving.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

It happens all the time. Remember the 2010 Capitals in the playoffs?

or last year's lightning?

Regular season success on the PP means nothing. Teams don't spend a lot of time on pregame scouting meetings or opponent specific details. I think the 2017 Penguins were the only PP-reliant team in recent years whose PP didn't fail them, and even then they needed MAF to go GodMode for two series.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

Shot Blocker

Nov 11, 2006
Oil Country
Yeah the fact that no team has had a PP% that high in 40 years should tell you a lot, 25% is probably doable but right now the powerplay is likely overachieving.

You could be right, but in the Playoffs often special teams is what turns the tide.
The Oilers currently have the #1 PP & #2 PK, any team would want those stats heading into the post season.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You could be right, but in the Playoffs often special teams is what turns the tide.
The Oilers currently have the #1 PP & #2 PK, any team would want those stats heading into the post season.

I think a team would rather have a PP that catches fire at just the right time (2019 Blues, 2018 Capitals, 2016 Penguins, 2015 Blackhawks, 2014 Kings) than have spent its load on building plenty of successful tape for opponents to study and counter.

Shot Blocker

Nov 11, 2006
Oil Country
I think a team would rather have a PP that catches fire at just the right time (2019 Blues, 2018 Capitals, 2016 Penguins, 2015 Blackhawks, 2014 Kings) than have spent its load on building plenty of successful tape for opponents to study and counter.

2019 Blues? their PP was 12th (Out of 16) in last years Playoffs?

Boston was 1st overall in the post season. This shows that good special teams is no guarantee of success, but definitely a positive factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad