GDT: Flames @ Vegas, Tuesday December 12 8:00 PM

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just wait. In a matter of weeks to months, the defense is gonna look something like

Weegar-Andersson
Solovyov-Gilbert
Oesterle-DeSimone/Pysyk

Wolf, Markstrom and Vladar are all gonna have nightmares after this season
Why I'm not opposed to keeping one of Hanifin or Tanev. We aren't going to have an NHL caliber defence if we trade both.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Why I'm not opposed to keeping one of Hanifin or Tanev. We aren't going to have an NHL caliber defence if we trade both.
Nah, the smart play is to still trade them both and then enjoy the fruits of having one of the worst defensive cores of all time, ie. a top five pick. Keep Wolf in the AHL to protect him from the nightmare while letting Markstrom earn his keep.

After that, keep in mind the Flames have 31M in cap space this summer without a single critical RFA or UFA to re-sign (Wolf, Pospisil, Solovyov, Ruzicka, & Dube are all RFA's; Kylington an UFA but none of them will be expensive). With all that cap space and open roster spots, it won't be difficult to fill the gaps. Overpay a Skjei, Gostisbehere, Grzelcyk or even Tanev. Or look to the trade market and bring in a M. Pettersson or Girard from a team looking to shed cap for pennies on the dollar. Point is, short term for long term gain.

Most likely though the Flames will either acquire a defenseman in return or pick up someone else through waivers. But that's way better than committing 60M to Hanifin so he can watch the opposition walk in and score.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Nah, the smart play is to still trade them both and then enjoy the fruits of having one of the worst defensive cores of all time, ie. a top five pick. Keep Wolf in the AHL to protect him from the nightmare while letting Markstrom earn his keep.

After that, keep in mind the Flames have 31M in cap space this summer without a single critical RFA or UFA to re-sign (Wolf, Pospisil, Solovyov, Ruzicka, & Dube are all RFA's; Kylington an UFA but none of them will be expensive). With all that cap space and open roster spots, it won't be difficult to fill the gaps. Overpay a Skjei, Gostisbehere, Grzelcyk or even Tanev. Or look to the trade market and bring in a M. Pettersson or Girard from a team looking to shed cap for pennies on the dollar. Point is, short term for long term gain.

Most likely though the Flames will either acquire a defenseman in return or pick up someone else through waivers. But that's way better than committing 60M to Hanifin so he can watch the opposition walk in and score.
I mean we are bottom 5 if we lose one already + Lindholm. I'm all for the tank, but I don't want to see Solyov getting regular top 4 minutes. That would be devastating to Wolf.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I said I will reserve my judgment on Wolf unlike many of you. So far, his outing has been very meh...

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I said I will reserve my judgment on Wolf unlike many of you. So far, his outing has been very meh...
I'd caution that a prime Hasek would struggle with this group in front of him. No hyperbole either. We're just really bad.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I'd caution that a prime Hasek would struggle with this group in front of him. No hyperbole either. We're just really bad.
Hey mate, 2 urgent aspects of the game need to happen-

* Coaching Personnel- this is a money/result driven business, not an emotional charity. Get rid of Savard! Today is 2 months too late.
* Playing Personnel- Lindholm- get him out first, target assets and a D prospect.

This way, we can still try to go for the PO and re-tool.

I am sick of the inept PP and a AHLers like DiSimone, Oesterle or Gilbert, these guys are not NHL quality.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
You may have a good point, dude. Result driven business. Savard doesn't get a pass. If he can't get this group looking at least competent on the PP? Yeah, good bye.

Reactions: joescores

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Imagine if our 8 figure player contributed like the Vegas ones did tonight.
Or if the Flames could score a god damn PP goal.

Team might still not be good, but they'd be a lot less bad. Entertaining game at least, can't fault the effort from most guys. B2B missing our best defensive dman against the Champs at home, I'll take a pt there sure why not. The Flames were awful in their own zone which is maybe not surprising considering the lineup but Wolf could only bail them out so many times.

Great - Zary-Kadri-Pospisil loved this line tonight. Keep them together because they have serious chemistry. Sharangovich, goalscorer scoring goals is what I like to see.

Good : Lindy was pretty decent, not sure wtf starting him and Backlund was going to do in OT tho. The point is to score a goal. Weegar was a lot better than last game and I liked Rasmus mostly, both looked gassed a lot in their own zone.

Not bad : Coleman, Backlund, Hanifin, DeSimone. Thought they were all mostly positive.
Wolf was busy and made a lot of big saves. Also didn't make some big saves. I dunno what people are expecting, that he's just going to have every remotely savable shot as a rookie G in his 6th NHL start is simply unrealistic. He gave what is a bottom team icing Gilbert, DeSimone, and Oesterle a chance to win on a b2b facing the defending cup champs in their barn. Not sure you can ask for much more than that.

Meh : Mangiapane was hoping that goal last night could have spurred something but sadly not. Just hesitating and throwing pucks away. Gilbert, overmatched but really the only Flame throwing their weight around against a heavy team.
4th line. Greer didn't have a lot of impact but had a cpl shots, threw a cpl hits. Bout what you want. Ruz liked him on the PP, less so 5v5. Dube is just a fat hanging zero at this point plz sit.

Bad : Huberdeau back to the 10.5 million dollar turnover man. Trying sure, but getting nothing done. Oesterle costly mistakes. He sucks.
puke : special teams

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really would like to see Zary tried down the middle with Huberdeau.

With maybe Yegor on the right side to do some heavy lifting. Jonathan has needed a puck carrier to be an effective player, Zary does that. And you can ask Yegor to be the centre below the red line to help out Zary.

I mean, come on. Jonathan Huberdeau made Bennett and Duclair 30 goal guys; he couldn’t have forgotten how to hockey like that.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not to pile on Huberdeau, but I have never seen a player with his frame lose so many puck battles. He comes out second-best almost every damn time

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Just wait. In a matter of weeks to months, the defense is gonna look something like

Weegar-Andersson
Solovyov-Gilbert
Oesterle-DeSimone/Pysyk

Wolf, Markstrom and Vladar are all gonna have nightmares after this season
We may have Kylington back at some point and I doubt we don't get atleast 1 D back as a cap dump in a trade so it might not be Pysyk bad on D but not looking good that's for sure

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I mean, come on. Jonathan Huberdeau made Bennett and Duclair 30 goal guys; he couldn’t have forgotten how to hockey like that.
1.12 p/g in 5 seasons before coming to Calgary. It looked like the worst drop of in league history. I think it's now confirmed. I don't think anybody could explain it. Maybe he should consult James Neal about what sticks to use.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

You trade Hanifin, you have to use that top 5 pick on a defenseman to replace him, who honestly has a 50/50 chance of being as good as he is. This board extremely under appreciated how hard it is to get a Hanifin. You get a single one of those players listed and try playing them the 23 minutes a night Hanifin gets and they will be feasted on.

Also not directed at you, but this board deciding who’s immune to criticism and who’s immune to praise is bad. If Markstrom played the exact same game Wolf played he’d be dragged through the coals, and that’s not saying Wolf played bad at all. If people going to throw vitriol at Markstrom (or a lot of whipping boys on our team), atleast do it with integrity.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
No you don't. BPA
Then you spend years chasing a replacement D-man who can eat those 23 minutes a night and also is capable of being tied for 24th in even strength scoring amongst defenseman like he is now, or 28th last year, or 17th the year before that. The low 1st and good prospect we get for him won’t replace him, and the capital we’d have to give up or use in the draft to replace him would be much worse.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
If he'll sign for that here, you do it 10 out of 10 times. That's a fantastic deal for both.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If there is a position I am never worried about, it's in LD. The Flames are a defenseman factory, and usually have more difficulty with their pro scouting and finding depth Dmen who aren't an absolute disaster on the 3rd pairing.

We're already losing enough games with Hanifin - why would losing games with Hanifin on a payraise towards the end of his prime benefit us?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I say keep Hanifin at 7x7 mil. That's a good deal.
Except if he would have signed 7*7 it would have been done already. There is going to be a premium attached to getting him to sign in Canada for the rest of his career

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's weird the hate Huberdeau is getting in comparison to our "#1 center" in Lindholm who has all but mailed it in on this team.

It's quite clear he has one foot out of the door already. This is the worst hockey he has played since arriving here, and he has gone from being one of the game's better five on five players to a complete drain on his teammates this season.

Just in time to ruin his trade value. Perfect.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It's weird the hate Huberdeau is getting in comparison to our "#1 center" in Lindholm who has all but mailed it in on this team.

It's quite clear he has one foot out of the door already. This is the worst hockey he has played since arriving here, and he has gone from being one of the game's better five on five players to a complete drain on his teammates this season.

the biggest difference is 1 is going to be here for 7 more years at 10.5M per and the other will not because the Flames smartly decided he was not a 10.5M a year player

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

Lindholm has shown what you can expect from him, which is 30/30, but his faceoffs and defensive awareness makes him a 8M player I have been fine with his play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad