Friedman: Flames trying to find a right shot d-man to play with Brodie

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
acquire a RHD with the expension draft comming?

Flames fans dou you rule out Rasmus Andersson for next year?

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Andersson?

Zero chance the Flames pencil in a rookie that wasn't a top five pick into the top four to start a season.

Andersson might have an opportunity to make the team on the bottom pairing next year as all of Jokipakka, Wideman and Engelland are UFA's while Kulak and Wotherspoon are RFA's. Those five guys are the Flames' 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th defencemen and only Kulak is likely to be brought back unless he's claimed by Vegas.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Zero chance the Flames pencil in a rookie that wasn't a top five pick into the top four to start a season.

Andersson might have an opportunity to make the team on the bottom pairing next year as all of Jokipakka, Wideman and Engelland are UFA's while Kulak and Wotherspoon are RFA's. Those five guys are the Flames' 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th defencemen and only Kulak is likely to be brought back unless he's claimed by Vegas.

Kevin is a RFA.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
People need to realize that the Flames aren't competing this year. There is no urgency that requires moving top young assets. We also aren't moving top recent picks before we know what we have. All of Monahan, Bennett, and Tkachuk are still developing and will remain with the team until the top six is solidified. Trading a prospect that valuable for a #4 defensemen makes no sense either. Number 4s can be picked up for free as FAs. Cost controlled top line players can not.

Well...........the Blues SH!++ING the bed, & the Stars as well this year begs to differ ! If, those 2 teams could turn it around soon then, i see your point . But, with Fabbri down for the year.....I'd say the Flames have a decent shot .

HELL ! WHO KNOWS ? Maybe if, the Flames get into the playoffs, Elliot could catch fire again like, he did with, the Blues last year .

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Asking for Chucky or Bennett is the same thing. That's what I was pointing at.

That's what I figured. Get that it makes very little sense for you guys. Those pieces hold tremendous value to you, and you're far better off holding onto em rather than mortgaging them to shore up your defensive depth :)

As valuable as Tanev is, it might prove difficult for us to get a high-end piece for him. IMHO, a Calgary team that is still building is completely the wrong team to try and make a Tanev deal with (to say nothing of the looming expansion conundrum)... we should be targeting a contending team who views Tanev as a valuable piece of the puzzle and is actually, y'know, willing to dangle significant futures

...needless to say, I don't think it's as easy as my dear fellow Canuck fans think to get fair value for him. A lot of the contending teams who need defensive help on the right side probably want a more offensive guy tbh... Which is part of the reason I'd be inclined to keep him (not to mention he could be a very valuable player during a rebuild/retool to insulate/mentor the kids)

Edit: Sorry, apparently am inadvertently attempting to derail the thread with my Tanev musings... my bad! I don't really get the Flames being so adamant Brodie plays on the left side, hasn't most of his best play come playing on the right? Not sure where your top D prospects (i.e. Kylington) slot in - or if you have some world beater RHD on the way up - but it seems to me it doesn't make much sense to make Brodie switch sides?

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The Buffalo Sabres have the answer the Calgary Flames seek.

Zach Bogosain, RHD

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hamonic+ for Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Monahan

Flames laugh and hang up. Hamonic is massively overrated, Snow overplayed his hand and could have struck a good deal for Hamonic when the iron was hot.

No way the Flames give up Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Monahan for Hamonic.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Lw has young players we don't want to trade. Lhd is Gio and currently Brodie.

Well, the write up says Flames looking for RHD to pair with Brodie.

Let me guess, the 2 1st rounders down with the heat right now, Klimchuk and Poirier. Out of those 2, which one is fast.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see him stay with the Pens, but hypothetically what would CGY trade for Schultz?

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
it would be easier to get LHD to play with Brodie every team is looking for RHD if Brodie like to play the right side then let him

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Thats how the majority of the Flames fanbase feels. Unfortunately, management does not.

thats unfortunate the price of RHD is going to continue to rise because of all the buyers i don't see how flames management doesn't try the other route but we'll never know why

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad