Friedman: Flames trying to find a right shot d-man to play with Brodie

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kulikov maybe? He's rumoured to be available. He's LHD, so if Brodie likes the right side that helps out.

edit: he's impending UFA btw, so you wouldn't have to worry about expansion

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kulikov maybe? He's rumoured to be available. He's LHD, so if Brodie likes the right side that helps out.

edit: he's impending UFA btw, so you wouldn't have to worry about expansion
Gulutzan and the Flames appear to want to keep Brodie on the left side, which he played when Giordano went down with an injury and excelled playnig there with Engelland. Brodie's biggest issues this year are 1) the new system isn't ideal for his skillset IMO and 2) Dennis Wideman is his partner.

Also the Flames AGM has said they aren't looking at rentals.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I imagine Calgary's only looking at 2 things:
1) Cheap rental who can actually play in the top 4 (think Schlemko 2 years back). Not having to use major assets is a must; so Stone, Kulikov, etc are off the table. Their cost is too high, especially for a team that isn't a playoff lock.
2) Young D that will not require protection or could pass through protection.

Overall, this expansion draft is a bit of a pain in the ass :laugh:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Gulutzan and the Flames appear to want to keep Brodie on the left side, which he played when Giordano went down with an injury and excelled playnig there with Engelland. Brodie's biggest issues this year are 1) the new system isn't ideal for his skillset IMO and 2) Dennis Wideman is his partner.

Also the Flames AGM has said they aren't looking at rentals.

3) His finance has MS, and it's affecting him mentally. Also if Brodie isn't fitting the system, which Dman do you think would?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Take Gudbranson. Give us someone else Weisbrod is in love with

I'm surprised Benning hasn't traded us a combination of a 1st, Juolevi, Sutter or Horvat for Jankowski. Weisbrod had the biggest hard-on about this kid.

In another world, Calgary's top 4 is:
Giordano - Hamilton
Maatta - Brodie

And we're not having this conversation :laugh:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I imagine Calgary's only looking at 2 things:
1) Cheap rental who can actually play in the top 4 (think Schlemko 2 years back). Not having to use major assets is a must; so Stone, Kulikov, etc are off the table. Their cost is too high, especially for a team that isn't a playoff lock.
2) Young D that will not require protection or could pass through protection.

Overall, this expansion is a bit of a pain in the ass :laugh:

We should go after Pesce, he's literally the perfect definition of what we need.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh I see, Idk I haven't checked the standings in forever.

I don't think it was a waiver order thing, I think it was more of a Calgary needs an actual top 4 thing. Marchenko isn't an upgrade on Kulak or Wotherspoon, and those guys are having a problem cracking the lineup.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
1) Chucky is likely going to be a Flame for life :laugh: just love the damn kid so much.

2)
Would you do:
Brodie for Horvat + 1st?

You're probably just being facetious but no, definitely not. We need to ADD young forwards, not trade em away. And what will likely be a high first is a non-starter for this guy

That said, Brodie is a great player

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
People need to realize that the Flames aren't competing this year. There is no urgency that requires moving top young assets. We also aren't moving top recent picks before we know what we have. All of Monahan, Bennett, and Tkachuk are still developing and will remain with the team until the top six is solidified. Trading a prospect that valuable for a #4 defensemen makes no sense either. Number 4s can be picked up for free as FAs. Cost controlled top line players can not.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You're probably just being facetious but no, definitely not. We need to ADD young forwards, not trade em away. And what will likely be a high first is a non-starter for this guy

That said, Brodie is a great player

Asking for Chucky or Bennett is the same thing. That's what I was pointing at.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
acquire a RHD with the expension draft comming?

Flames fans dou you rule out Rasmus Andersson for next year?

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Andersson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad