Friedman: Flames trying to acquire a first round pick

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
im sorry i must be reading this wrong. are you implying anyone would find it insane to give up tkachuk for the 1st overall pick?

A lot of Flames fans hate the idea simply because they don't want Tkachuk on a rival. Canucks fans will probably not like it because in a vacuum Dahlin's value is enormous.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I might be in the minority of fellow Oilers fans but what about Oilers 1st for Hamilton BEFORE the lotto? Calgary can get lucky and land a top 3 or end up with what 8th?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Could we not do this? The Flyers are obviously not moving Provorov and they're certainly not moving a first with him. Perfectly fine if you don't like the offer phlocky posted but we don't need to send the thread into the spiral of doom because of it.

The Flames are obviously not moving Tkachuk. It's a circular conversation. I've argued before and will continue to that Tkachuk is the most untouchable player on the Flames, including Gaudreau and Hamilton.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That is absolutely terrible for the Flames. The last thing the Flames need are RHS Dman. RHS wingers are their main need. A lot of Flames and Flyers fans probably won't, but I'd do Provorov and a 1st for Tkachuk, or Konency, a 1st, and a one of your good LHD prospects. That's about it.
Christ. Provy is worth more than Tkachuk.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Dahlin by all accounts is supposed to be in the echiel/Matthews tier.
Calgary would need a lot more then just Tkachuk to get dahlin.

You're right, but some fan's won't give up their favorite players for anything and Tkachuk has definitely become a fan favorite in Calgary.

NitHeel

Kimmo Forever
May 20, 2009
Reading, PA
You might be undervaluing Tkachuk there.

Or you the value of a young defenseman who's already serving capably as a #1 vs. that of a forward.

But my point isn't to diminish Tkachuk in any way, it's just to acknowledge that a team that's trying to rebuild its defense isn't trading their elite young defenseman along with a 1st round pick to get another forward.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Or you the value of a young defenseman who's already serving capably as a #1 vs. that of a forward.

But my point isn't to diminish Tkachuk in any way, it's just to acknowledge that a team that's trying to rebuild its defense isn't trading their elite young defenseman along with a 1st round pick to get another forward.

Offensive rebuild is more desperate in Vancouver.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Buffalo winds up 6th or 7th in the draft order, I wonder if they would look to move the pick.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Rasmus Andersson to the Rangers.
That would be a not great idea on their part, since he's the perfect age to take Stone's place like right now. I'd rather see them get an underwhelming return for Stone than trade Andersson.

If the Flames are going to trade someone for picks, I would hope it'd be Stone (I know he won't get a first) or Bennett. I do think Bennett could get a mid/low first; he's still young, he's got pedigree, and he has a lot of traits that hockey people like.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad