Flames to Hold Press Conference Regarding Iginla's Future

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/01/10/flames-to-reveal-gameplan-regarding-iggys-future

The Calgary Flames have made a decision on Jarome Iginla and will call a news conference early next week to announce their plans moving forward.

OK, OK, so perhaps that’s being a tad dramatic.

But drama is exactly what the Flames want desperately to avoid when it comes to never-ending talk of Iginla’s future with the club.

“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,†said Flames GM Jay Feaster of his captain who has just one year left on his five-year, US$35-million contract.

“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.â€.

Sounds like he's sick of answering questions about it in every scrum and they're just going to tell the media once that he's not going anywhere.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
. . . and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.â€.

This is bizarre. A press conference would indicate something serious, like a contract extension, but the above quote from Feaster would suggest otherwise. A contract extension would largely, and effectively, end all trade talks until the off season, not keep it going. Nor would Iginla be asked about his future either, if he re-signed.

Are they really going to go out there just to say all contract talks will be on hold until the off-season, when both parties can re-evaluate what they want to do?

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
This is bizarre. A press conference would indicate something serious, like a contract extension, but the above quote from Feaster would suggest otherwise. A contract extension would largely, and effectively, end all trade talks until the off season, not keep it going. Nor would Iginla be asked about his future either, if he re-signed.

Are they really going to go out there just to say all contract talks will be on hold until the off-season, when both parties can re-evaluate what they want to do?

I agree with you here. It seems a bit odd...

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think it's one of two things.

1. Flames are announcing a contract extension, or
2. Flames are announcing that if playoffs are unlikely at the deadline, Iginla will be available via trade.

It could possibly be that nobody is going to answer questions about Iginla's contract status during the season but there is no real need to wait to do that.

I'd bet on option 1, since they can't sign him until the CBA is ratified by the players (should be official by Sunday)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's one of two things.

2. Flames are announcing that if playoffs are unlikely at the deadline, Iginla will be available via trade.

)

would be moronic thing for the Flames to say. No team is going to say we may not make the playoff

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Personally, I'd like to see Iginla rented out at the deadline to a top contender. We'd get some good pieces, Iggy gets his Cup (hopefully), and we sign him a couple months later to close out his career as a Flame.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
No extension, No trade. He simply is going field all questions, answer them an thats it. This way when he gets asked later he can be an a$$ and say I already addressed that.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not a contract extension. From the same article:

Obviously, the concern on Iggy’s part is whether he can indeed do both (stay AND win), which is why he will likely spend the bulk of this season observing whether the franchise is indeed moving in the right direction before he decides his own fate.

Feaster confirmed Wednesday he has yet to talk contract with Iginla’s agent Don Meehan even though GMs have the green light to discuss such issues before the players ratify the CBA this weekend.

“All things in due course,†said Feaster, pointing out he and Meehan both have plenty more pressing issues on their plate right now.

“Jarome has a contract. Donnie and I will sit down and proceed to see if we can get something done. In the meantime, we have a season to get ready for.â€

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Doubt its gonna be announcing a trade, Feaster said he doesn't want it to be a distraction going forward meaning Iggy will still be here. Also, Feaster tried to add some key pieces to win 'with' Iggy. Nothing his actions have done imply they want to move him.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Feaster has already said its to address the fact the media will be asking Iggy every interview about an extension. They are simply stating no discussions will be made until the end of the season so don't ask again for the next 5 months. Therefore its an effort to keep everyone from asking the same question 1000 ****ing times in the next few months.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Feaster has already said its to address the fact the media will be asking Iggy every interview about an extension. They are simply stating no discussions will be made until the end of the season so don't ask again for the next 5 months. Therefore its an effort to keep everyone from asking the same question 1000 ****ing times in the next few months.

Ironically, we're going to hear the same question 1000 times over the next few months if that's all it is.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ironically, we're going to hear the same question 1000 times over the next few months if that's all it is.

Pretty much. A press conference like that would only increase speculation over Iginla's future, because now the notion of him walking as a UFA becomes a very real possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad