Prospect Info: Flames sign Tyler Wotherspoon to ELC ($925k AAV)

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
You have to sign picks after 1 year or they enter back into the draft? How old is he?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
CHL players must be signed within 2 years, or they re enter. (Like Leach last year). Other players must be signed within 4 years. So Gaudreau and Granlund are fine for now. Brossoit must be signed before the draft.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am glad to hear Wotherspoon was signed. I think he has top 4 upside as a shutdown defender. It's too bad in a way his Portland season will outlast the Abbotsford season, he would be a great addition to the Heat's blueline.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have a question, do you guys think that due to our lack of quality defensive prospects that Wotherspoon may be slightly overrated by our fanbase? I'm not trying to knock him, he's gonna be an NHL'er but I just want to have a healthy discussion. The only reason I ask this, I'm wondering why he hasn't played at all this season for the Flames. I know he hasn't performed quite up to managements expectations this season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have a question, do you guys think that due to our lack of quality defensive prospects that Wotherspoon may be slightly overrated by our fanbase? I'm not trying to knock him, he's gonna be an NHL'er but I just want to have a healthy discussion. The only reason I ask this, I'm wondering why he hasn't played at all this season for the Flames. I know he hasn't performed quite up to managements expectations this season.
It has nothing to do with Wotherspoon. It has everything to do with the Flames trying not to rush their prospects; people seem to forget Wotherspoon is just in his second year pro. He's only been called up in emergency situations, I don't think there was ever an intention to play him as they don't want to overwhelm him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The only reason he hasn't played is because Hartley's in full win now mode. Same reason Baertschi, Reinhart, Ferland, Poirier, and even Knight saw limited minutes when with the Flames.

And I haven't heard anything about management being disappointed in his play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only reason he hasn't played is because Hartley's in full win now mode. Same reason Baertschi, Reinhart, Ferland, Poirier, and even Knight saw limited minutes when with the Flames.

And I haven't heard anything about management being disappointed in his play.
He's easily the best defenseman with the farm team. It's not even close.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I've seriously barely seen any games of Adirondack this year so I'm legitimately curious, do you think he's played up to expectations this year?

And I never said management was "disappointed" in him. Wotherspoon was hurt to start the year, missed training camp and was behind as a result when the season started as such and had to play catch up. From comments I've heard Conroy make this year, it sounds like Culkin has performed pretty equal to Wotherspoon.

Anyways, my main question was due to our lack of quality D prospects, I wonder if Wotherspoon gets slightly overhyped by our fanbase similar to how Backlund was? Again, I'm not knocking him whatsoever, I want to be perfectly clear about that. It's a fair question.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Yeah, that's what I've heard too.

And I never said management was "disappointed" in him. Wotherspoon was hurt to start the year, missed training camp and was behind as a result when the season started as such and had to play catch up. From comments I've heard Conroy make this year, it sounds like Culkin has performed pretty equal to Wotherspoon.
Not having 'performed quite up to managements expectations' is pretty much synonymous with disappointment.
Anyways, my main question was due to our lack of quality D prospects, I wonder if Wotherspoon gets slightly overhyped by our fanbase similar to how Backlund was? Again, I'm not knocking him whatsoever, I want to be perfectly clear about that. It's a fair question.
To a degree, probably. But Backlund was hyped as a future number one centremen when in reality, the comparisons to Langkow were more accurate.

Most people still see Wotherspoon only as a future top four or a very good bottom pairing defensemen. Maybe top four is too much but Wotherspoon's still only 21 (although will be 22 soon).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've seriously barely seen any games of Adirondack this year so I'm legitimately curious, do you think he's played up to expectations this year?

I think Wotherspoon has play to or above expectations. Culkin is getting the attention because he has dwarfed all expectations this year.

As for Tspoon, he's gone from being a top 4 defenseman in the AHL to being a top pairing defenseman. He gets the toughest matchups every night and does a good job.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, that's what I've heard too.

Not having 'performed quite up to managements expectations' is pretty much synonymous with disappointment.

To a degree, probably. But Backlund was hyped as a future number one centremen when in reality, the comparisons to Langkow were more accurate.

Most people still see Wotherspoon only as a future top four or a very good bottom pairing defensemen. Maybe top four is too much but Wotherspoon's still only 21 (although will be 22 soon).

I think it was a few weeks ago, I just can't remember for certain but I recall the guys on TheFan commenting on Wotherspoon. Don't quote me on this because I could certainly be wrong, I thought the conversation was about Treliving saying Wotherspoon's development was slowed a little this year because of his injury he sustained. I think they had really high expectations for him this season, but understandably his injury affected his performance, but recently he's been playing very well of late from my understanding. Again, I'm not 100% sure if it was Treliving that made those comments, but I think was. And that's knocking him either or saying he's been disappointing, just that he struggled a little earlier in the season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Wotherspoon has play to or above expectations. Culkin is getting the attention because he has dwarfed all expectations this year.

As for Tspoon, he's gone from being a top 4 defenseman in the AHL to being a top pairing defenseman. He gets the toughest matchups every night and does a good job.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I wish I got to see these guys play more in Adi, so it's good to hear where they are playing and how they're progressing. When I saw Tspoon play on the Flames last year, I was very impressed. I know he'll play, I just wanted realistic feedback on where he projects based on his play this year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it was a few weeks ago, I just can't remember for certain but I recall the guys on TheFan commenting on Wotherspoon. Don't quote me on this because I could certainly be wrong, I thought the conversation was about Treliving saying Wotherspoon's development was slowed a little this year because of his injury he sustained. I think they had really high expectations for him this season, but understandably his injury affected his performance, but recently he's been playing very well of late from my understanding. Again, I'm not 100% sure if it was Treliving that made those comments, but I think was. And that's knocking him either or saying he's been disappointing, just that he struggled a little earlier in the season.

The entire team struggled earlier in the season, though. It's not like he was being passed by anyone.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
For what its worth, I'm not sure if any of our D prospects that are currently at least in the AHL outside of Wotherspoon or Culkin will get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Pessimistic it may be, but honestly I can live with our lack of RW prospects if we can shore up our defense in this draft. Still mildly annoyed with how our picks turned out last year in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not that they are bad and its too early to really judge, but there were so many defensemen available in that 2nd round that I'm annoyed we never got one.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Now it's my turn to possibly be mistaken, but they could have been talking about Sieloff.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Now it's my turn to possibly be mistaken, but they could have been talking about Sieloff.
I haven't heard any interviews but Wotherspoon did have season ending surgery at the end of last year. I fail to recall if he missed some or all of camp though.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
For what its worth, I'm not sure if any of our D prospects that are currently at least in the AHL outside of Wotherspoon or Culkin will get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Pessimistic it may be, but honestly I can live with our lack of RW prospects if we can shore up our defense in this draft. Still mildly annoyed with how our picks turned out last year in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not that they are bad and its too early to really judge, but there were so many defensemen available in that 2nd round that I'm annoyed we never got one.

We got Brandon Hickey four places out of the second round, and he has top pairing potential and otherwise has been impressive as a freshman. We could easily have drafted him in the second and came away with a solid pick, but instead gambled and got him a little bit lower, without the criticism that he played in junior A and not CHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad