Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Tyler "Not Bennett" Wotherspoon (1 year, 2-way, $650k)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Kulak is probably the clear favourite for the #6, but I hope TSpoon can turn a few heads in training camp and finally make that spot his

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The timing of this signing makes me think it's Treliving tightening the cap space available for Bennett so as to bring the two sides nearer together in negotiation.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The timing of this signing makes me think it's Treliving tightening the cap space available for Bennett so as to bring the two sides nearer together in negotiation.

I'm sure neither Treliving nor Bennett's camp had any concerns over Wotherspoon taking up any of the cap that could go towards Bennett's deal.

That logic would be more applicable if Tre signed Jagr and left the team with $X to sign Bennett... "This is what we have available take it or take off"!

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I'm sure neither Treliving nor Bennett's camp had any concerns over Wotherspoon taking up any of the cap that could go towards Bennett's deal.

That logic would be more applicable if Tre signed Jagr and left the team with $X to sign Bennett... "This is what we have available take it or take off"!

You're probably right, it's not like they signed Wotherspoon to something far higher than would be otherwise expected, and we have plenty of cap space as it stands anyway. Wishful thinking on my part because I want this Bennett deal in the books and done with.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At this point, all he needs to do is better than Bart to have a NHL job...good shot

I am not sure who to choose between Kulak and Wotherspoon. Kulak is probably better but he is too soft to be a bottom pairing

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
At this point, all he needs to do is better than Bart to have a NHL job...good shot

I am not sure who to choose between Kulak and Wotherspoon. Kulak is probably better but he is too soft to be a bottom pairing

Wotherspoon is a bit bigger and protects the puck better but I don't know where you're getting that Kulak is the softer of the two. Kulak plays a pretty physical game, Wotherspoon not at all.

Aug 3, 2010
Wonder if he'll be released next year if he only continues at his current rate of development. Not a terrible prospect, but just got left behind by others.

Aug 3, 2010
Was this a 2-way contract? If it's NHL pay grade, I'd say it's somewhat telling of their expectations… or a "good bye and thanks for all the fish" contract.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Was this a 2-way contract? If it's NHL pay grade, I'd say it's somewhat telling of their expectations… or a "good bye and thanks for all the fish" contract.

2-way, I believe it's the exact same as Kulak. ($650,000 in the NHL, $125,000 in the AHL)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tyler "Not Kucherov" Wotherspoon makes more sense than "Not Bennett".

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/i-feel-like-this-year-can-be-my-shot/c-290862392

"For me, it's always the same with Tyler," critiques assistant GM Craig Conroy. "He's a steady, shutdown defenceman. And that's great. But you want him to take charge more, be more aggressive. Whether that's finishing checks, clearing guys out. He's got a good stick, great in the neutral zone, hard to beat 1-on-1. But if there's a chance to jump up in the play, you need to do it. Safe is great but you don't want to play too safe, where you look like everyone else.

"You need to get out of your comfort zone, grab a jersey and take a job."

That's the mandate as camp beckons.

"I feel like this year," Wotherspoon says, "can be my shot. I just hope I get an opportunity to show what I can do.

"You can get anxious, especially since I've gotten a taste of (the NHL) every pro year.

"When I've been up there, I felt as if I've done a good job. It would great, now, to get more than a taste and show them I deserve to be there long-term.

"As a player, I think my game is best suited to the NHL. You're always anxious and nervous about camp getting started. You want it to get going and get to October."

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think we all want him to beat Bart for the final D spot (#7) but management and coaching really seem to be in love with Bart, so he's gonna have to wow.

I do think he fits a different niche than both Bart and Kulak.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think we all want him to beat Bart for the final D spot (#7) but management and coaching really seem to be in love with Bart, so he's gonna have to wow.

I do think he fits a different niche than both Bart and Kulak.

I see Bart as the 'defacto' and it's up to Kulak and Wotherspoon to beat him out. If they can't beat him out then they probably aren't really NHL players.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Wotherspoon will be traded at the deadline. I'm one of the few that think he can be a top 4 defenseman on another team if given the chance, it unfortunately wasn't going to happen here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad