Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Paul Byron to 1-year, $900K contract

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
It might become an issue he'll be a UFA after next season. But still, very much glad he's back and this signing means some crappy forwards will have to be punted out.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There will be competition for:
2nd line LW
3rd line LW/RW
4th line LW/C/RW

That's about six spots for about a dozen plus guys lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A little surprised he got less than Jooris.

Ferland's the only RFA left to sign.

Would have 15 forwards on one-way contracts then. And then there's Bennett, Granlund, and Poirier. Something's got to give.
Jooris only got 30K over his qualifying offer. Bton's was much lower, this plays a significant factor.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
A little surprised he got less than Jooris.

Ferland's the only RFA left to sign.

Would have 15 forwards on one-way contracts then. And then there's Bennett, Granlund, and Poirier. Something's got to give.

Granlund and Poirier are almost surely AHL bound now. Along with Shore, who I believe would clear waivers

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Granlund and Poirier are almost surely AHL bound now. Along with Shore, who I believe would clear waivers

According to Treliving he received plenty of calls for Shore at the deadline, if this is true then there is almost no chance he clears waivers.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Jooris only got 30K over his qualifying offer. Bton's was much lower, this plays a significant factor.
Thought Byron's extra 78 NHL games would have gotten him to 1M mark at least. Guess not.
At the deadline, Treliving said he got a lot of calls on Shore; the most of any player I believe. If he isn't good enough to make the final 23 man roster, I'd expect a Colborne-like trade, but that's a worst case scenario. Would be poor asset management in my opinion. Would rather just waive Bollig or Raymond.

Agree would Granlund and Poirier. Would be a shame though, if they had good camps and were still sent down.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Agree would Granlund and Poirier. Would be a shame though, if they had good camps and were still sent down.

Jooris had a good camp and was still sent down. Did not take him very long to get a callup. One thing about Poirier is they might just wait until they get a return on Jones at the deadline. That's what they did with Glencross/Ferland last season.

Granlund going down to the AHL and simply focusing on winning faceoffs will be huge.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thought Byron's extra 78 NHL games would have gotten him to 1M mark at least. Guess not.

At the deadline, Treliving said he got a lot of calls on Shore; the most of any player I believe. If he isn't good enough to make the final 23 man roster, I'd expect a Colborne-like trade, but that's a worst case scenario. Would be poor asset management in my opinion. Would rather just waive Bollig or Raymond.

78 games don't mean much when Jooris beat Byron's career bests. Had Jooris been coming off a smaller deal, then maybe he would have signed for the same as Byron, but the fact he would have gotten 945k and a 1way contract on his QO, there was no reason for him to accept less. Byron on the other hand only had a QO of 660k and a 1way contract, so he was negotiating uphill when you consider Jooris who is a comparable player and just had a better season just signed for 975k.

As for waiving Bollig, fat chance. It isa simply not going to happen. He is the only player of his ilk on the team, so he carries more value than fans like yourself seem to be willing to accept.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
As for waiving Bollig, fat chance. It isa simply not going to happen. He is the only player of his ilk on the team, so he carries more value than fans like yourself seem to be willing to accept.

Players of his ilk are also not hard to find.

Unless he shows he can play, waive him

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
78 games don't mean much when Jooris beat Byron's career bests. Had Jooris been coming off a smaller deal, then maybe he would have signed for the same as Byron, but the fact he would have gotten 945k and a 1way contract on his QO, there was no reason for him to accept less. Byron on the other hand only had a QO of 660k and a 1way contract, so he was negotiating uphill when you consider Jooris who is a comparable player and just had a better season just signed for 975k.

Really? That's like saying that if you have two starting goalies and one backup on the team, you should send down a starter because the backup is the only player of that ilk on the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really? That's like saying that if you have two starting goalies and one backup on the team, you should send down a starter because the backup is the only player of that ilk on the team.
that is literally the stupidest comparison possible as to become a starting goaltender you are going to be a backup somewhere.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Players of his ilk are also not hard to find.

Unless he shows he can play, waive him
He has shown he can play, he has shown he will protect his teammates, he has shown the attitude our management team wants to have around. He will not be waived, because letting him go and then paying to acquire another player like him that we don't know wold fit in would be insanity and literally the worst asset management possible in this situation.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
He has shown he can play, he has shown he will protect his teammates, he has shown the attitude our management team wants to have around. He will not be waived, because letting him go and then paying to acquire another player like him that we don't know wold fit in would be insanity and literally the worst asset management possible in this situation.

WHY would we go after another guy like him?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He's quickly becoming the only player of his ilk in the NHL, so he carries less value than fans like yourself seems to be willing to accept.

If we waive him, it's because players like him have no place in the league and the best rosters have no players like him. When Chicago moved him for a 3rd rounder, they took that home to the bank laughing, knowing they'd still a cup without a player like him and no one else would be dumb enough to move that high a pick for that useless a player. Little did they know though, Don Sweeney was about to get a job in the NHL.

Either way, even if you waive him, you can always call him up after the trade deadline so you've got a facepuncher in the playoffs. Not like anyone would claim him off waivers. And if he does get claimed, big deal. Van Brabant can punch faces too while being similarily terrible, you also save about $500k

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth

Jar-Jar-Binks-3.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's quickly becoming the only player of his ilk in the NHL, so he carries less value than fans like yourself seems to be willing to accept.

If we waive him, it's because players like him have no place in the league and the best rosters have no players like him. When Chicago moved him for a 3rd rounder, they took that home to the bank laughing, knowing they'd still a cup without a player like him and no one else would be dumb enough to move that high a pick for that useless a player. Little did they know though, Don Sweeney was about to get a job in the NHL.

Either way, even if you waive him, you can always call him up after the trade deadline so you've got a facepuncher in the playoffs. Not like anyone would claim him off waivers. And if he does get claimed, big deal. Van Brabant can punch faces too while being similarily terrible, you also save about $500k
It's painfully clear you have no idea what you are talking about. Bollig is the new breed of enforcer in the NHL, a guy that is not a pure fighter, that can play a regular shift and creates energy through physical play. If I am the only guy who thinks these players have value why does a team like the Ducks keep Jackman around? Why Carcillo been a member of 3 of the last 4 teams to reach the finals? Why is Tom Wilson such a valued commodity?

Bollig only had 7 fights last year, tied for 25th with 6 other guys. Calling him a facepuncher is just another in a long long of blatant clues that your input on this subject is extremely ill-informed.

If you honestly believe with our management team especially that Bollig is on his way out, you need to learn more about Treliving and Burke.

Last edited:

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary

That surprises me about Shore. What would multiple GMs have seen about Shore that warrants an inquiry?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That surprises me about Shore. What would multiple GMs have seen about Shore that warrants an inquiry?
Seriously? You don't see why a 24 year old natural playmaker that has size, speed, ability to use his body and has shown himself not to be out of place in the NHL? Gee, I wonder why. :help:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Glad for Byron :D

Here's hoping that once he has the pin removed from his wrist (apparently he had wrist surgery too like Jooris and Colborne), he will be more effective in his shots. :nod:

I was reading something on CP where apparently in the season before this one, Byron was deadly on the breakaway. Hope he returns to form. I'm another who really likes Byron's game and see hints of MSL in him. Unfortunately he doesn't have the new prospect shiny toy lustre and is low on time.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's painfully clear you have no idea what you are talking about. Bollig is the new breed of enforcer in the NHL, a guy that is not a pure fighter, that can play a regular shift and creates energy through physical play.

No, Ferland is what you describe. Bollig is just... there.

If I am the only guy who thinks these players have value why does a team like the Ducks keep Jackman around?

Tim Jackman is an energy player, unlike Bollig. We watched him for so many years, you should know that. Bollig is the opposite, when he's out there you might as well go watch popcorn pop.

Why Carcillo been a member of 3 of the last 4 teams to reach the finals? Why is Tom Wilson such a valued commodity?

Carcillo? One of those teams to reach the finals got rid of him that season BEFORE then for a 7th rounder.
Another one of those teams dropped him and didn't skip a beat without him.
And what exactly did he contribute during the Hawks' run this year? Dude didn't even play and they won a cup!

Bollig only had 7 fights last year, tied for 25th with 6 other guys. Calling him a facepuncher is just another in a long long of blatant clues that your input on this subject is extremely ill-informed.

Two more fights would have put him tied for 8th place. There were many games where Bollig was out there looking to pick fights but other teams were more interested in playing hockey. It was his only way of contributing all season.

If you honestly believe with our management team especially that Bollig is on his way out, you need to learn more about Treliving and Burke.

And you're an expert on Treliving.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=102875017&postcount=48

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad