Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Markus Granlund to an entry-level contract

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Although his number regressed in the regular season compared to the previous season (34 points vs. 30 points) he improved somewhat on some areas of the game. He gained confidence from the WJC and came back to HIFK with a will to prove himself capable of taking the role of being a leader on the ice. During the latter half of the season he scored more from top shelf snipes, and he was also more confident with the puck. His level of play could have also been affected by the change of our headcoach from an ultimate Pejorative Slur into a hockey enthusiastic Pejorative Slur.

From a spectators point of view he is not very visible, until he hits the ice on the PP. Usually he controls the puck on the second pp-unit. During the playoffs at least he made some nice cross ice passes for important goals on the PP. Still, he is not to be compared to his older brother who was a demi-God on the PP.

I was happy to see Markus improve his game this season. Last year I was fretting violently in the crowds during the playoffs because I was angry at how bad Markus was defensively (or stupid or lazy). That's why he was also benched during last years playoffs. This year he wasn't visibly as bad or caught only in the o-zone and he did score some points and an important GWG.

I wrote a year ago that Markus is the most overhyped Finnish prospect compared to actual skill since he did not own any of the skills his big brother has while sucking defensively. I stated that he would never play or succeed in the NHL since he isn't good enough to be placed on the top two lines and, well, he sucks defensively and brings negative value to the team while being on the ice when the puck isn't in the offensive zone.

One year later I must admit that he has improved and that his chances of becoming a NHL regular in 2-3 years has risen from 0% to maybe 10%. I know the numbers are harsh, but although he has improved, he still isn't big or even extremely fast, and he doesn't any particular skills that his competition doesn't have (ok, his shot is quite good, but he doesn't get a chance to use it very often at least on even strength).

The only scenario in which I see him thriving in the NHL is in a team with 3 scoring lines playing in a secondary scoring role from the 3rd line (+pp time). This is maybe quite close to how Ville Leino found at least some success in Philly before he became a flaming heap of dog doo.

Still, I hope Markus all the best. He could succeed if he is willing to learn and slowly become the talented player most people have projected him to become.

I have to agree with you. He has some good offensive talents but on the smaller ice surface it could be more difficult for him in tight quarters. The centerman has okay straight line speed but needs to really improve his four-step acceleration and learn to widen his stance to absorb the hits better. His edge control needs work in order to help him slip checks and add evasiveness to his offensive game. His defensive game is a big weakness mostly because his reading and reaction in the defensive zone isn't instinctive, he's thinking too much and looks to jump on transition before possession. He will need at least two years to adjust to the N.A game and style. He's just not the same talent of his brother but can be a playmaker that knows when to shoot and can be more physical. Granlund will have to gain more mass and strength to play at the NHL level or he's going to get blown off the puck way too easily. He won't get to the NHL with his present defensive game and doesn't have the top level offensive game yet. I hope I am wrong and he does really well. If he can improve those areas I mentioned and follow the coaches instructions then he has a slight chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad