Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Markus Granlund to an entry-level contract

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Contract terms: Three year entry-level contract with a base salary of $650,000 (2013-14); $675,000 (2014-15); and, $700,000 (2015-16), with an AAV of $925,000 (including entry-level performance bonuses).

This is good news. Might go to the AHL for a season or two for some seasoning but I look forward to next year's training camp.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Three year entry-level contract with a base salary of:
$650,000 (2013-14);
$675,000 (2014-15);
$700,000 (2015-16),
AAV of $925,000 (including entry-level performance bonuses).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Contract terms: Three year entry-level contract with a base salary of $650,000 (2013-14); $675,000 (2014-15); and, $700,000 (2015-16), with an AAV of $925,000 (including entry-level performance bonuses).

This is good news. Might go to the AHL for a season or two for some seasoning but I look forward to next year's training camp.

Hehe, beat me to it :)
I think Abby's shaping up next year to actually be a Flames prospect camp, and not a journeyman AHL team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Solid. Should contend for a spot soon. Maybe not immediately next year, but could be an early call up.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
If he ever develops he will be one hell of a player, I mean kid has some super slick hands. Very boom or bust though. If only we had a large RW prospect to potentially have a line of Gaudreau-Granlund-Large bodied RW(Protective purposes). That line would be very very dangerous in the O zone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If he ever develops he will be one hell of a player, I mean kid has some super slick hands. Very boom or bust though. If only we had a large RW prospect to potentially have a line of Gaudreau-Granlund-Large bodied RW(Protective purposes). That line would be very very dangerous in the O zone.

Don't we have an owski for that?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hehe, beat me to it :)
I think Abby's shaping up next year to actually be a Flames prospect camp, and not a journeyman AHL team.

Pretty weird, huh? It's going to be exciting. One thing that it gives us is the ability to inject a little bit of life into the team if they ever need it just by plugging in a rookie for a game or two.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Excellent! The one I was worried about most, but also the most excited for.

Great. Wonder who will end up winning that Erixon trade....

Horak, Wotherspoon, Granlund vs. Tom Erixon

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Great. Wonder who will end up winning that Erixon trade....

Horak, Wotherspoon, Granlund vs. Tom Erixon

This is one I truly hope Flames win. Kid handled it like a *****, Flames managed to get a deal out of nothing (because he was going to leave, no matter what)... I really hope all three guys are regular NHLers

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pretty weird, huh? It's going to be exciting. One thing that it gives us is the ability to inject a little bit of life into the team if they ever need it just by plugging in a rookie for a game or two.

I think Feaster did an decent job plugging holes when he got into the GM seat to actually make this Heat team not a pit of despair. That meant getting some Journeymen, signing some college kids and undrafted players as well as making some trades that made the AHL team a bit better.

However, I think it's been more than enough time to actually have Flames picks playing major roles on this '13-'14 team, and not just Sven/Brodie when they're down there (Because I don't think they'll be down there again; ever). Should be good, and I'm actually excited to catch a few more Abby games next year, seeing as I won't need to cheer on wash-ups like Kolanos, Walter, etc. Playing the big roles.

An interesting thing I want to bring up for the Heat, is getting someone like Cody Sylvester under an American League contract (not two way) after his season with the Hitmen. It's keeping it sort of in-house; he might not have NHL upside, but he could be a decent professional AHL'er; just a thought.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
He needs to come over next year. He's definitely a project player and needs to be developed Detroit style (like Nyquist and Tatar). Two or three years in the AHL strengthening his defensive game, skating, and overall strength and he may become something.

I think there were a few better options than Granlund but Erixon for Horak and the 2 seconds has definitely been Feaster's best trade. I think Horak and Erixon are pretty close and if one of the other two guys turns out, it'll be gravy. If both of them turn out we'll be laughing maniacally 4 years from now.

The size thing is a bit of a concern though (biggest reason his brother has struggled), especially since we have plenty of smaller skilled players. But roster turnover is so quick in the NHL that three years from now there may very well be a place for him.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah he needs AHL time next season.

Of our 2011 draft picks, I've been the least excited about Granlund, but hopefully he can develop into a solid player in a few years.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
i think Markus will have much easier time adjusting AHL/NHL style than his brother Mikael. Markus is much faster and stronger skater, more of an goal scorer than gamemaker like Mikael. Lack of space & speed of the game made it very hard for Mikael to adjust. Markus won't have this problem. i can't wait to see how Markus performs :)

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
i think Markus will have much easier time adjusting AHL/NHL style than his brother Mikael. Markus is much faster and stronger skater, more of an goal scorer than gamemaker like Mikael. Lack of space & speed of the game made it very hard for Mikael to adjust. Markus won't have this problem. i can't wait to see how Markus performs :)

Wow, this is the first time I've heard anyone say this. I hope you're right.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Wow, this is the first time I've heard anyone say this. I hope you're right.

Mikael strength has neve been skating. Its his borderline godly hockey sense and passing ability (and hands and wrist shot). Markus isnt as talented but he is a (slightly) better skater and more physical.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I liked how he isn't just skilled, but from what I've seen, he likes to stir the pot too.. Seemed to me like a I seen more than a few videos of him getting swung at with a **** eating grin on his face.. Hope he turns out..

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Although his number regressed in the regular season compared to the previous season (34 points vs. 30 points) he improved somewhat on some areas of the game. He gained confidence from the WJC and came back to HIFK with a will to prove himself capable of taking the role of being a leader on the ice. During the latter half of the season he scored more from top shelf snipes, and he was also more confident with the puck. His level of play could have also been affected by the change of our headcoach from an ultimate Pejorative Slur into a hockey enthusiastic Pejorative Slur.

From a spectators point of view he is not very visible, until he hits the ice on the PP. Usually he controls the puck on the second pp-unit. During the playoffs at least he made some nice cross ice passes for important goals on the PP. Still, he is not to be compared to his older brother who was a demi-God on the PP.

I was happy to see Markus improve his game this season. Last year I was fretting violently in the crowds during the playoffs because I was angry at how bad Markus was defensively (or stupid or lazy). That's why he was also benched during last years playoffs. This year he wasn't visibly as bad or caught only in the o-zone and he did score some points and an important GWG.

I wrote a year ago that Markus is the most overhyped Finnish prospect compared to actual skill since he did not own any of the skills his big brother has while sucking defensively. I stated that he would never play or succeed in the NHL since he isn't good enough to be placed on the top two lines and, well, he sucks defensively and brings negative value to the team while being on the ice when the puck isn't in the offensive zone.

One year later I must admit that he has improved and that his chances of becoming a NHL regular in 2-3 years has risen from 0% to maybe 10%. I know the numbers are harsh, but although he has improved, he still isn't big or even extremely fast, and he doesn't any particular skills that his competition doesn't have (ok, his shot is quite good, but he doesn't get a chance to use it very often at least on even strength).

The only scenario in which I see him thriving in the NHL is in a team with 3 scoring lines playing in a secondary scoring role from the 3rd line (+pp time). This is maybe quite close to how Ville Leino found at least some success in Philly before he became a flaming heap of dog doo.

Still, I hope Markus all the best. He could succeed if he is willing to learn and slowly become the talented player most people have projected him to become.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I am actually very intrigued and happy about this. I would like to see Markus come over and see what we have with him in the AHL. There is a youth movement going on in Calgary right now and why not make him a part of it. If he makes the cut then great! He showed in the WJ's that he is capable of playing at a high level, and perhaps putting him in a different environment that has other young comparable talent will help to elevate his game.

I can't wait to see all these guys on the Heat next year, finally some of the fruits of our drafting will begin to ripen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad