Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jagr (1YRx$1M + bonuses) EDIT: Assigned to Kladno (Czech)

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Jagr has shown me that the nhl need a LTOGR (long time old guy reserve). Separate from injured reserve where if an old guy isn’t feelin good that day he can sit out and he doesn’t take up a roster spot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Really sad to see him go, but want the best for him :(

The injuries really ended his career, much like most older players. When the body doesn't go anymore, it just doesn't.

When he was healthy he looked good... but he didn't have a good spot on this roster and being in and out of the lineup didn't help.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
He will be back for the playoff run once he heals up/rehabs in Kladno for a month to a month and a half.

Source: hope and this exact scenario is what a czech newspaper reported a few days ago

Reactions: Fig and Pomee

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He will be back for the playoff run once he heals up/rehabs in Kladno for a month to a month and a half.

Source: hope and this exact scenario is what a czech newspaper reported a few days ago
That writer for a Czech newspaper is an idiot.

1) If he is loaned to the Czech league, he cannot return
2) If his contract is terminated and he plays in the Czech league he would need to clear waivers to return and would need to sign before the trade deadline to be trade eligible.
3) He's not good enough anymore to play for a playoff team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Found on the interwebs.
JRRlKGT.jpg

Reactions: Janks and Lesky

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

2) If his contract is terminated and he plays in the Czech league he would need to clear waivers to return and would need to sign before the trade deadline to be trade eligible.

Is this serious? I mean, point 3 wise, having him in the room alone during playoffs would be amazing for teaching the kids.

But for point 2, his contract isn't terminated, no? He's just loaned? Or am I mistaken?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is this serious? I mean, point 3 wise, having him in the room alone during playoffs would be amazing for teaching the kids.

But for point 2, his contract isn't terminated, no? He's just loaned? Or am I mistaken?
You cannot recall a player from a European loan. So we aren't even saving his cap hit either.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007

Don't you feel a bit silly now?

You can tell that Jagr's mobility was severely hampered by some ailment. Your game doesn't just fall off of cliff overnight the way some were assuming.

Jagr had actually looked pretty fast in the first few games he had played in with the Flames. It seems everyone orgot that game in which Jagr kept pace with Gaudreau on that rush up the ice play?

Time and time again in Jagr's career, he's made critics, doubters and detractors eat crow. After the 2013 finals run with the Bruins in which he was seriously snakebit (I count 7 posts he hit during that run), everyone thought he was done. What does he do, he follows it up with a 67 pts season for the Devils at the tender age of 42, in the process leading them in scoring by 17 pts, also finishing as a +16, leading the team in that category by a margin of +13. This was also after missing all of training camp with an injury, and srarting the season with just 1 goal and 3 pts through the first 10 games of the season. Needless to say, at age 42, he becomes the oldest NHL player to lead his team in scoring. His 67 pts placed him in the top 20 scorers of the league, shall I repeat that he was 42?

He resigns with the Devils for the following season. Things don't look so good for Jagr suddenly, the GM fires their coach who seemed to have really striken up a good working relationship with Jagr. Jagr goes from averaging 19 minutes a game to suddenly being relegated to the 4th line, and barely seeing any PP time (his average icetime had dropped to 11 minutes a game). Jagr was looking slow, old and down and out. It had seemed like at the age of 42-43, Father Time had finally gotten a hold of old man Jagr. Then something happened, he gets traded to a young, inexperienced, but full of potential Panthers team at the trade deadline. The result is a 19 pts in 20 games finish for Jagr, and a Panthers team that suddenly looked like was ready to take the next step. So with that being said, it was only natural that Jagr would resign with the Panthers.

What Jagr would do in 2015-16 for the Panthers is nothing short of amazing. In 79 games, at age 43-44, he would break the record that he owned himself of becoming the oldest NHL player to lead his team in scoring. This time his numbers were even more impressive than his first season with the Devils. 27 goals, 66 pts in 79 games (pace of 70 pts), for the Division champs Panthers team. His performance would not go unnoticed as he would finish 7th in Hart voting, do I need to repeat that a yhe end of that season he was 44 years old?

Starting to see a pattern here? Whenever Jagr was supposed to finally be done, finally have the game pass him by, he would prove everyone wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that he will do it one more time. Jagr will not be pushed out of the league, he's going to go out on his own terms.

None of this would have been a discussion btw had Jagr not been injured in the manner we now know to be quite serious. From the explanation given about his injury, heck someone like Gaudreau or even McDavid who rely on speed and shiftiness to play the game would have looked slow on the ice with the very same combination of injuries; knee, thigh and groin combo.

We haven't seen the last of Jagr in the NHL. He may be back in time for the playoffs to help the Flames. This was not a true player waivers/ player dump. He was loaned to his team that he owns so he can rehab and get back into game shape.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't you feel a bit silly now?

You can tell that Jagr's mobility was severely hampered by some ailment. Your game doesn't just fall off of cliff overnight the way some were assuming.

Jagr had actually looked pretty fast in the first few games he had played in with the Flames. It seems everyone orgot that game in which Jagr kept pace with Gaudreau on that rush up the ice play?

<clipped the pointless drivel that has nothing to do with Jagr's time in Calgary
Why would I feel silly exactly? Jagr never looked fast. Jagr never cared to play defense. Jagr was decent in the offensive zone and good along the boards. That's it, that's all. Jagr kept getting injured because his heart wasn't in it anymore and he didn't train all summer. Don't let his career career blind you to how mediocre to bad he was as a Flame.

I for one am glad he's gone.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Why would I feel silly exactly? Jagr never looked fast. Jagr never cared to play defense. Jagr was decent in the offensive zone and good along the boards. That's it, that's all. Jagr kept getting injured because his heart wasn't in it anymore and he didn't train all summer. Don't let his career career blind you to how mediocre to bad he was as a Flame.

I for one am glad he's gone.

You do seem to have a personal hate towards him don't you? Jagr did look fast in some of the games. You talk about Jagr not playing defense, how's Gaudreau doing in that regard?

Are you honestly questioning Jagr's desire and commitment to the game of hockey? Players get injured all the time. Are you telling me that every single injury that a player suffers is on him due to lack of training? Complete bs.

Clearly you are blinded by some sort of personal vendetta towards Jagr.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You do seem to have a personal hate towards him don't you? Jagr did look fast in some of the games. You talk about Jagr not playing defense, how's Gaudreau doing in that regard?

Are you honestly questioning Jagr's desire and commitment to the game of hockey? Players get injured all the time. Are you telling me that every single injury that a player suffers is on him due to lack of training? Complete bs.

Clearly you are blinded by some sort of personal vendetta towards Jagr.
Jagr was never fast as a Flame, he slowed the top line down, that's why he was never put back there. Gaudreau plays defense, in fact his stick check when back checking is among the best on the team. But I appreciate you making it so abundantly clear you have never actually watched a Flames game.

I am not questioning anything. I am stating a fact that Jagr himself stated at the presser announcing the signing. He did not train this summer because he didn't know if he would get a contract.

Just because I'm not on my knees for Jagr like you are doesn't mean I have a vendetta. Jagr is an old man that didn't train all summer, it went exactly as I expected it would. Let him enjoy the 2nd rate Czech league, his NHL career is done.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Jagr was never fast as a Flame, he slowed the top line down, that's why he was never put back there. Gaudreau plays defense, in fact his stick check when back checking is among the best on the team. But I appreciate you making it so abundantly clear you have never actually watched a Flames game.

I am not questioning anything. I am stating a fact that Jagr himself stated at the presser announcing the signing. He did not train this summer because he didn't know if he would get a contract.

Just because I'm not on my knees for Jagr like you are doesn't mean I have a vendetta. Jagr is an old man that didn't train all summer, it went exactly as I expected it would. Let him enjoy the 2nd rate Czech league, his NHL career is done.

Will you admit you were wrong if Jagr is back in the NHL?

As for claiming Jagr didn't train at all, this is wrong. He continued to workout, and kept himself in great shape. If you look at his physique, it's superior to 99% of the Flames' players. Jagr's quotes are usually taken out of context, he trained. Just not the way he hoped he would have had he known he was still going to be in the NHL. His injuries have nothing to do with lack of training.

Why am I even arguing with you? Before he even suited up for a single game, you had your mind made up on him. I can easily pull your posts to prove this. To top it off, there were a few games in the beginning where he played really well, most posters on here were saying he looked good. You on the other hand proceded to bash him. Please don't tell me it's tempering expectations, you had a hate for him, and still do, and it's quite obvious.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Will you admit you were wrong if Jagr is back in the NHL?

As for claiming Jagr didn't train at all, this is wrong. He continued to workout, and kept himself in great shape. If you look at his physique, it's superior to 99% of the Flames' players. Jagr's quotes are usually taken out of context, he trained. Just not the way he hoped he would have had he known he was still going to be in the NHL. His injuries have nothing to do with lack of training.

Why am I even arguing with you? Before he even suited up for a single game, you had your mind made up on him. I can easily pull your posts to prove this. To top it off, there were a few games in the beginning where he played really well, most posters on here were saying he looked good. You on the other hand proceded to bash him. Please don't tell me it's tempering expectations, you had a hate for him, and still do, and it's quite obvious.
Why would I have to admit I am wrong if another NHL GM is stupid enough to sign him? Him being in the NHL would be evidence I am wrong.

I never liked Jagr signing here, no. But not once did I question his abilities as a player. I think he is a selfish player who only cares about breaking some records at this point in his career. So feel free to pull up what I said because you won't find anything regarding his play other than he is slower and doesn't play defense and his play as a Flame proved me right if you actually took time to watch a game.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm just happy it allowed me to get a Jagr Flames jersey and to see a legend in our threads. But yeah, he didn't train hard enough at that was evident from his first game. I doubt he plays in the NHL again...But with Jagr, you never know.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm just happy it allowed me to get a Jagr Flames jersey and to see a legend in our threads. But yeah, he didn't train hard enough at that was evident from his first game. I doubt he plays in the NHL again...But with Jagr, you never know.

Who knows. When the guy got going (3-4 games in) and was healthy, he was easily our 3rd best option at RW.
I mean, it doesn't say much, because our RW depth is disgusting; and the fact two lefties play our top 6 RW spots speaks volumes.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Your game does and can fall off a cliff overnight when you're 45 years old (nearly 46).

I think the odds are fairly good that he won't be back in the NHL. If there was interest from other teams, he would have been claimed off waivers before going to Czech.

I honestly think if there's a player in the league we simply shouldn't write off, in any case, would be Jagr.
I personally think he's done, but, you just never know with this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad