Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jagr (1YRx$1M + bonuses) EDIT: Assigned to Kladno (Czech)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
1297384290861_ORIGINAL.jpg

All the best to Jags, I think he was a great distraction at the beginning of the season to take some pressure off the young guys. Sad it didn't work out, but I'd bet the Flames made a killing in jersey sales, and our young forwards got some valuable wisdom.

Madik77

Jun 9, 2006
There is a long interview with Jagr for Czech press and his answer on question regarding his future in NHL is " I am realist." It seems that we will never see Jagr in NHL again.
More things he said:
- his health problems were related to groin first but than (in 12th game against Flyers) he started to have problems with his knee and it is still bad.
- Jagr says that his goal was not to play more games than Howe but to achieve 2000 points. Jagr believed that he could have done this in Florida.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dont know, maybe Jagr sucked but the Flames started winning when he showed up.

Now without him they are floundering again.

Maybe coincidence but maybe not

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Madik77

Jun 9, 2006
Jagr is playing for his team Kladno right now. After 15 minutes he is 0+2. However, the difference between second Czech league and NHL is HUGE.

Reactions: Pomee and Dack

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Good riddance.

He was somewhere between bad and terrible during his time here. The excuses some tried to make for him just because of the name on the back of the jersey was tiresome as well.

I hope he enjoys his time in Kladno and retirement because he is not anywhere close to an NHL level player at this point in his career.

takanoyama

Apr 4, 2013
Jagr is playing for his team Kladno right now. After 15 minutes he is 0+2. However, the difference between second Czech league and NHL is HUGE.

Jagr 0+3 vs. Petr Nedved 1+1 (his last career game). Alte Liebe röstet nicht. The 2nd Czech league is bad, I know. On the other side Jagr was limited with knee injury.

Reactions: Pomee

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good riddance.

He was somewhere between bad and terrible during his time here. The excuses some tried to make for him just because of the name on the back of the jersey was tiresome as well.

I hope he enjoys his time in Kladno and retirement because he is not anywhere close to an NHL level player at this point in his career.

I really think it's completely unnecessary to be so harsh on a guy who was playing through an injury that forced him to leave the NHL. As a Flames fan, it's agonizing to think about what could have been if he was healthy.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I really think it's completely unnecessary to be so harsh on a guy who was playing through an injury that forced him to leave the NHL. As a Flames fan, it's agonizing to think about what could have been if he was healthy.

Even if healthy it is hard to imagine he would have been any good. He was really struggling last year in Florida to keep up to the play and this year I think the injury was a convienient excuse to use to explain away him just being way too damn slow.

It was a cheap deal and he didn't really keep anyone in the minors that should have been here but I am glad that he is gone so we no longer have to see him being forced minutes that he in no way came close to deserving.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Even if healthy it is hard to imagine he would have been any good. He was really struggling last year in Florida to keep up to the play and this year I think the injury was a convienient excuse to use to explain away him just being way too damn slow.

It was a cheap deal and he didn't really keep anyone in the minors that should have been here but I am glad that he is gone so we no longer have to see him being forced minutes that he in no way came close to deserving.

You are way off base with your guesses and views on Jagrs ability.

Explanation:

2015-2016

GP 79
Goals 26
Assists 39
+/-: +23

Jagr was 5th in the league in even strength points.
----
2016-2017
GP 82
Goals 16
Assists 30
+/-: +6

Jagr was 4th in the league in even strength assists.

And pretty impressive even strength stats for a 45 year old. With people saying he cant skate and are DEAD SLOW - still one of the most productive even strength players in the league, says it all about his talent level.

Even putting up great plus/minus numbers on a terrible Florida team.

Jagr has been slow for years, it was the injuries that made him look so bad at the end.
---

How dare you even try to suggest Jagr making up injuries as an excuse? On what basis? Its beyond absurd and incredible disrespectful.

Jagr was 34 games from breaking Gordie Hows games played record, he was within reach of 2000 points which was a goal for him

Jagr also only needed to play 20 more games to trigger his 1$ million bonus for 41 played games.

At the time Jagr went off with his injuries he had just started to look better and had been put on the 1st line for a try, so the timing to make up injuries does not match up at all.

Jagr got a groin injury first, and then his knee injury began after 12 games and never got better, then he got additional groin and thigh injuries because his body could not
tolerate compensating skating with only one leg.
---
Jagr and the Flames did the right thing, and Jagr got injured sadly, and that was the end of his NHL career. But if he had stayed healthy with a full pre-season and training camp it could have been an entire different story.

Jagr had 4 points in his first 8 games and 7 in 15 games, despite having no chemistry with linemates and no pre-season or training camp.

Jagr has always put up the points and he would have in Calgary to if not for the injuries. Its a shame he hurt his stats and reputation by being stupid and playing injured since game 12 and also being demoted to 4th line without power play time even because of that.

Slow or not, all Jagr would have needed was to be healthy and to have linemates who could finish his setups from time to time.....

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why are you posting stats from 2015-16? That is two seasons ago and with Jagr being in his 40's it isn't out of place to think that two years can make a big difference.

His stats from last year aren't that impressive either. So great for you that if you put qualifiers in it makes you feel better about his stats. But again this is a 46 year old we are talking about and the biggest thing those two stat lines show is the big drop off from one year to the next.

I also didn't say he made up injuries I said it was convenient for some to use that as a reason for his slow skating and struggles rather than that fact that even healthy he is way too slow.

I don't question the injuires at all he is 46 trying to play a game for 26 year olds.

At just to be clear he was never good in a Flames jersey. Not early on, not in the middle or not late. It wasn't injuries that derailed at no point in his time with the Flames did he look like a quality player or a guy that belonged.

You can play the "if" game all you want but there is zero basis to believe that he would have helped this team at all based on his time with the Flames.

As for "players to finish his set ups" what set ups? Did you watch him play he did have any great set ups. He could do one thing hold the puck along the boards. Beyond that he really struggled to create anything from there.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think Jagr can still be a good player in a league with players that can't skate.

It was scary watching him trying to get back to the play.

He is 46 so there is no shame in that.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Tkachuk-Monahan-Jagr would have been the most terrifying line (in the offensive zone), two guys who you can't get the puck from and one guy who can finish every time.

I'll be baffled if Jagr isn't back this/next year. He's still got more than enough game to contribute to a good team.

Reactions: Pomee

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

---
“Love, as I can see it, is the strongest energy on earth,” “I love hockey all the time, I’ve always loved it, and had no problem to sacrifice anything to it. That’s the most important thing, a factor that helps you play as long as possible.” - Jaromir Jagr

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The only real disappointment I have is that we never got to see a Frolik - Bennett - Jagr line, as I really wanted it to happen so I could call it the "Benny and the Czechs" line.

If he can recover and STAY healthy, he could be back next year. However, with how few teams showed interest this year, I'd say the chances are slim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad