Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Danny Taylor

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Abbotsford to Columbus would be a prohibitively long trip, even for a gate-opener job.

I'd imagine the Heat would call up someone from Utah.
The Heat don't have a goaltender they signed in Utah. They will have to sign someone to an ATO.

From reading another hockey forum that discusses the Heat, their insider who works for the Heat has said it is someone from nearby but he can not say who, also hinted it's not normal circumstances. Perhaps a trade is in the works?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The sad thing is I don't think there is a back story. There's nothing that makes sense anyway. The only thing that would make sense (And it's a long shot) is the use of waivers to test the trade market for one or both of the goalies. E-mail would have been better but GMs must enjoy living on the edge.

It was explained multiple times. Neither goalie had outright taken the role, and it was the last possible opportunity to waive one to finalize the roster, so in order to get that last day of evaluation in, they had to put both on waivers. And don't act like Feaster is a moron, I'm sure he did his research and seen that there was almost a 0% chance either got claimed unless the team that claimed them was fine with running with 3 goalies up.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Wonder if Taylor will get a start? Irving hasn't really played at all this year, he was the #3 with the Heat.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wonder if Taylor will get a start? Irving hasn't really played at all this year, he was the #3 with the Heat.

I doubt it, Irving won the backup job its his, if he gets light up maybe but Irving is first in line for a start. If Kipper is out weeks then yes he probably does get a start but not when it looks like Kipper just needs a few days.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Listening to the guys on the FAN960 this morning was paiiiinful. They're like, the Flames have 2 options:

1. Go out and get a starting goalie
2. We're ****ed.

I was like ummmm, is there something wrong with letting a former 1st round pick in Irving play, or sign Taylor/Brust/Ramo??

It's like "Kipper plays or we're totally ****ed". Maybe it's true, but talk about having 0 faith. And maybe finishing last in this joke of a short season isn't the worst thing that could ever happen to this team. In fact, it could be the best.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Listening to the guys on the FAN960 this morning was paiiiinful. They're like, the Flames have 2 options:

1. Go out and get a starting goalie
2. We're ****ed.

I was like ummmm, is there something wrong with letting a former 1st round pick in Irving play, or sign Taylor/Brust/Ramo??

It's like "Kipper plays or we're totally ****ed". Maybe it's true, but talk about having 0 faith. And maybe finishing last in this joke of a short season isn't the worst thing that could ever happen to this team. In fact, it could be the best.
The last time the Flames were in a position that their starter was injured, Kiprusoff showed the world what he was made of. 9 years later Kipper has opened that same door for Irving.

fallsviewafro*

Obviously just an anecdotal reply but Irving looked great last night. He also played great in his callup last year so I hope he is the 2nd coming of kipper.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
The last time the Flames were in a position that their starter was injured, Kiprusoff showed the world what he was made of. 9 years later Kipper has opened that same door for Irving.

This. Irving has been waiting for this shot for a loooong time. It would be foolish to not give him the chance now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The lack of confidence in Irving is somewhat shameful. Not only does he clearly deserve the opportunity to start, he's shown already that he can handle the pace of the NHL.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

I am sure that Irving will get the start.
Starting Taylor sends all the wrong messages: That the team has no faith in their legitimate backup. I can only imagine what would happen to Irving's confidence, who will be staying as the teams backup for the rest of the season, and will probably lower Irving's value to other teams if Feaster ever dd idea to move him in the future.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Irving will be the starter (I hope). Taylors just there as the backup. That in no way means Irvings spot is safe.. If he ***** the bed Taylor will fill in. I don't think that will be the case. Its probably doubtful but I would love to have Kipper for the Canucks game Sat.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Neither goalie had outright taken the role...

Feaster was saying today (Broadcast on TSN's That's Hockey) that Irving won the job outright.

Which is a strange thing to say given that Feaster waived him after he "won the job".

Oh well. I guess that's how things are going to work until the Flames wake up and get a new GM.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Feaster was saying today (Broadcast on TSN's That's Hockey that Irving won the job outright.

And then he was waived.

I guess he has no choice but to say this. Any sort of positive feedback from the upper management is good to have for his confidence, so even though we all know the goalie decision was a coin flip :sarcasm: he's our go to guy and we gota support him.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Feaster was saying today (Broadcast on TSN's That's Hockey) that Irving won the job outright.

Which is a strange thing to say given that Feaster waived him after he "won the job".

Oh well. I guess that's how things are going to work until the Flames wake up and get a new GM.

:laugh:. Irving won the job on the last day of camp when the pressure was on and he was unquestionably better than Karlsson.

Not only did waiving both backups open up roster flexibility for the team in the first month of the season but it also subsequently led to the trading of Karlsson for a draft pick.

GM's have to take calculated risks all the time. Even in saying that, this specific move was hardly a risk to take given the circumstances of the season and the poor start by Irving in the AHL. That was a great move by Feaster, not head-scratching in any way shape or form unless you are looking for something to complain about.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Heat don't have a goaltender they signed in Utah. They will have to sign someone to an ATO.

From reading another hockey forum that discusses the Heat, their insider who works for the Heat has said it is someone from nearby but he can not say who, also hinted it's not normal circumstances. Perhaps a trade is in the works?
For anyone else who cares:

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/news/releases/?article_id=388

Abbotsford Heat General Manager Jay Feaster announced today the signing of 23-year-old goaltender Tyson Sexsmith.

Sexsmith played 34 games with the Worcester Sharks (AHL) last season with a 2.33 GAA and a 0.916 save percentage. The Mission, British Columbia resident who grew up in Priddis, Alberta has played four games in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) with Metallurg Novokuznetsk this season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

:laugh: He won it on the last day when they played against each other it was obvious he won it. So few teams could claim either that it was a calculated risk but then again you think the flames are lying about how long kipper will be out.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I bet Irving did win it outright. Him and Karlsson probably had a series of rigorous head to head matches that last day when they were both waived.

Thumb war, arm wrestle, and knuckles were played with the best of 3 until Irving flat out won the job!!

DevilsAnimal*

So the heat play at 4 on sunday, and calgary plays in vancouver at 8

do they send down Taylor for the heat game, then call him up after the game? :B

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad