Player Discussion Blake "Pickles" Coleman

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Term sucks, but the money for a guy that brings what he does is cool, personally?

I think this is going to be a far cry from Brouwer/Neal where they get here and suck immediately, it seems like a deal where we might actually benefit from some kind of production early on instead of looking at an immediate anchor.

Hopefully this isn't the only big move (Monahan sticks out like a sore thumb to me when looking at making lines that gel) since just adding a top 9 guy to the core long-term is meh, but if Johnston's smirk is to be believed there could be more down the line? Oh well, team clearly wants to win now and as a standalone trade this helps that, just kinda tough to see the 6 years

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
He had an interview in the Athletic where he said he was chasing a payday to set up his family. After 2 cups, I'm bracing myself to see this guy coast and for me to detest this contract in November

This.

You acquire players like Coleman while they are still cheap, hungry and unproven because you can (or should be able to) evaluate NHL talent.

Brad signs them when they are old(er), won their cup and chase a big pay day for work they've done for another team.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
he's a decent player, but, like, it's (really) six years in his 30s. at least it's not like neal or brouwer in the sense that he's actually good at hockey

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Big Coleman fan, looking forward to getting to know the Flames more and tuning into some games.

Signing is expensive but you will appreciate what he brings to the team

Reactions: Rockmorton

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I feel like we learnt nothing from the Brouwer and Neal deals. Do I like the player, yes I do he is a more skilled GlenX and I love GlenX. But this contract is such a vast overpayment especially considering almost all of it he will be 30+, I really hope I'm wrong but I doubt he is a .5ppg player most years. Looking forward to the inevitable Hyman + 3rd for Coleman deal in 3 or 4 years.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Coleman is the kind of player a soft, skilled team like Colorado needs to compete with Vegas.

Reeks of desperation since no one else was signing here.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I feel like we learnt nothing from the Brouwer and Neal deals. Do I like the player, yes I do he is a more skilled GlenX and I love GlenX. But this contract is such a vast overpayment especially considering almost all of it he will be 30+, I really hope I'm wrong but I doubt he is a .5ppg player most years. Looking forward to the inevitable Hyman + 3rd for Coleman deal in 3 or 4 years.
Feels more like frolik... but slightly worse, add one contract year and two years older.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I get people are having flashbacks to Brouwer and Neal, but I have yet to see any evidence of Coleman being a flawed player. He seems solid in every way, both eye test and analytics. We are a better team after adding him.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we aren't better with him than without but if Coleman is a 5 million solar player good luck convincing Tkachuk he isn't 9+ million dollar player. Cap space is going to be so valuable these next couple years between this contract and Lucic's we can't even really add anymore if we want to bring back our own guys.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brouwer was consistently a 35 - 40 point before we brought him in and was considered a 2 way player, time is just a circle.
Analytics was an emerging field when we signed him, but there were many red flags about him as a player when we brought him.

Brouwer was a guy who scored 35-40 points in spite of his impact on his team. Can the same be said about Coleman?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Zach Hyman is being paid 5.5

Would you rather have Coleman or Hyman?

Zack Hyman is superior to Coleman. And I say that laughing at that signing as well. Hyman at least played on the top line and didn't stick out on it and put up points.

Coleman is a 3rd liner that the Flames will no doubt play in the top 6 because Flames. Do you really think he'll succeed when his current line will be: Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman? Brutal.

I got nothing against Coleman, but this contract is atrocious.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Analytics was an emerging field when we signed him, but there were many red flags about him as a player when we brought him.

Brouwer was a guy who scored 35-40 points in spite of his impact on his team. Can the same be said about Coleman?

The dude is almost 30 and has 110 games of being a .5 ppg and we played him like he is only going to improve and have him 6 years. It's a bad contract.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The dude is almost 30 and has 110 games of being a .5 ppg and we played him like he is only going to improve and have him 6 years. It's a bad contract.
Very possible that he does. Coleman was in the bottom six on a stacked Tampa team. I do expect that he was room to improve his offensive output in a bigger role, just like J.T. Miller did. I think the same will happen for Gourde in Seattle.

Prior to his trade to Tampa, Coleman consistently improved his offensive production and role in NJ every year. Given that his underlying numbers suggest that he provides offense at a high rate, we should be excited about just how much growth there could be.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Very possible that he does. Coleman was in the bottom six on a stacked Tampa team. I do expect that he was room to improve his offensive output in a bigger role, just like J.T. Miller did. I think the same will happen for Gourde in Seattle.

Prior to his trade to Tampa, Coleman consistently improved his offensive production and role in NJ every year. Given that his underlying numbers suggest that he provides offense at a high rate, we should be excited about just how much growth there could be.

I see the argument that more time on ice means more production and I would argue losing the stacked team around him will make it alot harder on him. I can't imagine he becomes a 50 point player consistently for the length of the contract which is what he would have to do to justify it. This is vast overpayment based on hope and prayers

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Hello Flames Fans,

Don’t mind the trolls, as a Devils fan; I’m hella jealous!! Congrats.

Remember Tampa gave up 2 first to get him (1st and Foote). He is an Elite 3rd liner who has enough scoring punch to slot up. If his scoring drys you still have an elite defensive forward who can mentor the youth (2x cup winner)!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad