Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Backlund 6 years x 5.35M

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is why I love Treliving. In a cap era, most teams have 5 core players they build around and keep for years and years. 5 is mostly the common number you generally keep and then surround them with complimentary pieces.

In Calgary, Treliving has found a way to sign Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Gio, Dougie, Brodie and Hamonic all long term (7 in total). He has also left enough flexibility for us to keep Tkachuk and Bennett, so really that’s 9 core pieces locked up, that’s how you build a dynasty. But I’m telling you, if we don’t deal with Brouwer or deal Frolik, it’s going cost us someone like a Ferland or Jankowski. In a cap world, you can’t keep everyone.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well it certainly isn't a great deal but it isn't the albatross that I was worried about.

I think the team was going to re-sign him no matter what so the fact that it isn't over 6 is a relief but could do without that 6th or even 5th year. I guess those last years are a ways off so we can worry about what to do with it then.

It will be interesting to see how Treliving plans on improving the team as there is a lot of money tied up with guys already and not a ton of financial or asset flexibilty to make moves.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well it certainly isn't a great deal but it isn't the albatross that I was worried about.

I think the team was going to re-sign him no matter what so the fact that it isn't over 6 is a relief but could do without that 6th or even 5th year. I guess those last years are a ways off so we can worry about what to do with it then.

It will be interesting to see how Treliving plans on improving the team as there is a lot of money tied up with guys already and not a ton of financial or asset flexibilty to make moves.

There is a lot of money tied up in guys, yes, but a lot of money tied up in a lot of guys, as opposed to a lot of money tied up in a few guys like in other teams that get in trouble.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
BACKLUND THRILLED TO STAY IN CALGARY LONG-TERM
As the season ground on with no news of an agreeement, the torrent of social media opinions on Backlund's upcoming UFA status only intensified. So, for peace of mind, about a month ago he started to tune everything out.
"Even if you don't say it's distracting, but in the back of your mind, it is,'' he conceded. "I was trying to get away from it. We talked at home during the season about everything and after awhile we were 'OK, let's talk about something else.' It's a big decision. That's why you've got to think it through.

"Now I can just focus on winning games, not having this hanging over my head. There's a lot of stuff going on. The wedding, building a house back home. It's been pretty busy."

I think he goes on a bit of a tear now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For reference to the mindset:
"And it's not just - okay, you've been here a long time so you get to stay. He helps you win. I've been very clear that you build teams through the middle of the ice. (Sean) Monahan, Backlund, (Mark) Jankowski, Sam Bennettyou can never have enough centres and defencemen.

I have a good feeling I'll be using this quote a lot around here.

Noteworthy too that Treliving still refers to Bennett as a centre

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Awesome! Good deal for both sides. He deserves the money, but it's still a bit of a bargain for the team.

Aug 3, 2010
Already expressed my opinion in the main threads. It's solid, fair on both sides. Also guarantees that, unless he waives, he'll be here post-Seattle.

Not worried about the likes of Jankowski, Kulak, Rittich, etc in 2018-2019 but my concerns are with Ferland's UFA and Tkachuk's RFA contracts which both come up in 2019-2020. Smith's 4.25 will be off the books and I feel like Ferland is likely to be traded/head to UFA, Tkachuk signs for something like 5.5x6. I don't see Bennett as part of the future unless he develops more chemistry with Jankowski, and I'm beginning to feel that Brodie will be the odd man out if it comes to cap relief by trading a defenceman.

Basically, thoughts on how 2019 offseason might look?

Reactions: Sk8M8

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Just a small glance at how incredible Backlund (and the 3M line as a whole) is defensively:

That's pure domination... against opposing team's top lines.

It seems Backlund will forever be underrated defensively by the people who refuse to look at any evidence other than "eye tests"

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wanted 5x5 but this is okay. I'm glad it's done with before the playoffs and I love Backlund so I can't be mad.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It's a good signing. If nothing it's preventing BT from signing a UFA like Troy Brouwer for the same amount of money.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Already expressed my opinion in the main threads. It's solid, fair on both sides. Also guarantees that, unless he waives, he'll be here post-Seattle.

Not worried about the likes of Jankowski, Kulak, Rittich, etc in 2018-2019 but my concerns are with Ferland's UFA and Tkachuk's RFA contracts which both come up in 2019-2020. Smith's 4.25 will be off the books and I feel like Ferland is likely to be traded/head to UFA, Tkachuk signs for something like 5.5x6. I don't see Bennett as part of the future unless he develops more chemistry with Jankowski, and I'm beginning to feel that Brodie will be the odd man out if it comes to cap relief by trading a defenceman.

Basically, thoughts on how 2019 offseason might look?

I really don’t think it will be that bad. Jankowski is going to get a 2-3 year bridge.

Bennett is showing nothing that shows he’ll be up for a big raise.

If you can land Tkachuk around 6, Ferland around 4.5, all you really have to do is replace Stajan/Versteeg/Stone by guys on ELCs and we’re under cap with the expected increases. Like you said if Smith is replaced internally than thats another 3mil of space

We’re going to lose a player to Seattle in 2020 so while it sucks to lose a player it might free up some cap, especially if a D is taken. I think Brouwer will probably be a buyout candidate next summer as well. Treliving is one of the best cap managers in the league imo

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames should ever need cap relief within the next few years, the first target would be Brouwer followed by the likes of Stone and Frolik. No idea why everyone immediately looks to core players as guys who would be let go.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If the Flames should ever need cap relief within the next few years, the first target would be Brouwer followed by the likes of Stone and Frolik. No idea why everyone immediately looks to core players as guys who would be let go.

I think because the market for Brouwer and even Stone could be zero so you are left buying them out (Brouwer) or getting nothing back or paying a team to take them (Stone).

At least with a core guy you can potentially get a valuable piece back that can help your team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think because the market for Brouwer and even Stone could be zero so you are left buying them out (Brouwer) or getting nothing back or paying a team to take them (Stone).

At least with a core guy you can potentially get a valuable piece back that can help your team.
That's the Darryl Sutter mentality of running things and one of the reasons why he'll never be a GM in this league again. You don't improve your team by getting rid of actually good players, you're just shifting around talent, weakening one area while strengthening another. It's all lateral. The goal is or should be to improve on what's already there.

With the cap going up to 80M or thereabouts, the Flames have the space to not only re-sign their key players but also add a roughly 6M scoring winger (assuming they could find one). Brouwer's probably going to be bought anyway this summer or next. A year from now, Stone with one year left at 3.5M is absolutely moveable; teams are always looking for defensive depth and the fact that he's a RHS helps.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's the Darryl Sutter mentality of running things and one of the reasons why he'll never be a GM in this league again. You don't improve your team by getting rid of actually good players, you're just shifting around talent, weakening one area while strengthening another. It's all lateral. The goal is or should be to improve on what's already there.

With the cap going up to 80M or thereabouts, the Flames have the space to not only re-sign their key players but also add a roughly 6M scoring winger (assuming they could find one). Brouwer's probably going to be bought anyway this summer or next. A year from now, Stone with one year left at 3.5M is absolutely moveable; teams are always looking for defensive depth and the fact that he's a RHS helps.

I always look at the Stan Bowman approach that kept the Blackhawks powerful for damn near 10 seasons. It was finally when he went away from this philosophy, that things crumbled around him.

Have your main core:
Your top 3 centres, your two elite wingers, your 1 elite Dman, your two top 4 all-purpose Dmen and your stable goalie.

From that core, add in youth on ELC's. Make sure to get all 3 years of ELC, and at least 2 years of bridge. Once the bridge is up, decide if the player is good enough to replace one of that core piece. If not, trade this player to return a younger player with good upside. Do not give good money to anyone outside those 10 players. Sign great vets who want to win cups.

Calgary has the best cap management in the league. We're able to afford every player we have and have some space. I mentioned it yesterday, we could add a 5 million dollar winger for next season and not skip a beat.

I agree with you, you buy out the likes of Brouwer and trade the likes of Stone before you move upcoming youth that have value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad