Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Backlund 6 years x 5.35M

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bruins fan here.

Just wanted to stop by and congratulate you guys on this contract. Backlund is one hell of a hockey player and worth every penny (and then some) of this deal.

Incredible cap management coming out of Calgary. Most other teams should be taking notes.

Thank you so much. Some on here have stated otherwise and it’s pretty baffling. So it’s always nice hearing views from the outside that confirm logical thinking.

Reactions: Method Man

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
ummmmm...I completely missed this :laugh:

Anyway...Very happy with the cap hit, maybe a year too long, but we got one of our best players locked up long term and he is currently worth every penny of this contract. Awesome job BT and co.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
So they can lock up a core that gets them the 7th seed and maybe worse this year?

I think most teams have higher aspirations than that.

What do you honestly want them to do? Blow it up now with no picks? They have to stick with this core at the very least for the next 2-3 years through Gio’s prime. If nothing happens then maybe you make some changes. Your pessimistic negativity in every single thread is getting kind of old

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What do you honestly want them to do? Blow it up now with no picks? They have to stick with this core at the very least for the next 2-3 years through Gio’s prime. If nothing happens then maybe you make some changes. Your pessimistic negativity in every single thread is getting kind of old

A. I was responding to a post that said they had incredible cap management and other teams should take note. It is possible they did the right thing signing Backlund but don't have incredible cap management

As for what they should do as I have mentioned before I think they are in a tough spot because I don't see how they get out of the mushy middle. I don't see them signing Backlund as a move that results in them winning the cup and I don't see them not signing him as a result that frees them up to add a better player. I think the most realistic move they can/should make is to move Brodie for a top 6 forward and hope one of the kids can step up on defense. Even that though I don't think makes you a contender.

I am simply pointing out that they now have a pretty sizable amount of money tied up in a group that last year was 7th in the conference and swept in the 1st round and this year is looking like they could miss the play-offs. With the amount of money they have spent I don't see how that cap management for those very mediocre results are incredible.

And no they don't have to stick with this core at all. If they miss the play-offs this year and come back next year with basically the same roster except for a few secondary moves how does that make any sense?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know, I really think the answer to our problems is to trade Tkachuk.

His value is increasing exponentially, he’s not a C and we don’t have an elite one. We could use Tkachuk in a deal to get a player like Tavares and finally check that box of getting a franchise C. Also, Tkachuk is likely going to get paid big bucks for yet another LW, when we already have a better scoring one in Johnny, and an equally truculent one in Bennett who will cost us less to extend. So we would be cashing out on Tkachuk to fill our biggest need in getting a C who is capable of taking Johnny’s game to another level. Lastly Tkachuk already has a reputation around the league and frankly we would be better off without him as we’re still trying to shed the remnants of Wideman.

Did I convince anyone? Really, anyone can make almost any argument for anything regardless of how insensible and idiotic it is. The only people that wouldn’t endorse the Backlund extension quite frankly are non Flame fans and no one is being fooled by anyone making a fake argument solely to create controversy and get a rise out of posters. Nice try though and you can save your breathe with providing further false justification. I’ll just hand out a warning in the future. :)

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did I convince anyone? Really, anyone can make almost any argument for anything regardless of how insensible and idiotic it is. The only people that wouldn’t endorse the Backlund extension quite frankly are non Flame fans and no one is being fooled by anyone making a fake argument solely to create controversy and get a rise out of posters. Nice try though and you can save your breathe with providing further false justification. I’ll just hand out a warning in the future. :)

Who did this?

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
You know, I really think the answer to our problems is to trade Tkachuk.

His value is increasing exponentially, he’s not a C and we don’t have an elite one. We could use Tkachuk in a deal to get a player like Tavares and finally check that box of getting a franchise C. Also, Tkachuk is likely going to get paid big bucks for yet another LW, when we already have a better scoring one in Johnny, and an equally truculent one in Bennett who will cost us less to extend. So would be cashing out on Tkachuk to fill our biggest need in getting a C who is capable of taking Johnny’s game to another level. Lastly Tkachuk already has a reputation around the league and frankly we would be better off without him as we’re still trying to shed the remnants of Wideman.

I read that entire first paragraph getting more and more pissed off ready to rip you a new a****** until I read the 2nd part. Phew.

I would trade Tkachuk for Tavares. Gaudreau is better anyway.

You should be immediately banned for this awful post. Unless... it is also sarcasm.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ah, the mind is still sharp despite the old age. :laugh:
Harold+the+meme+guy+remember+that+cheerful+old+guy+who_bb62b7_5848289.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad