Injury Report: Flames Shut Down Sean Monahan: Hip Surgery

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think it was pretty obvious that he wasn’t fully healthy. That never stops fans from acting like he’s the worst thing to ever happen to the Flames though I guess.

Everyone knew this. Giving him 20 mins a night of ice time and being a detriment was dumb and dumber from the start. He should’ve been shut down months ago.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So why does Hanifin get shut down immediately after he aggravates his shoulder but Monahan plays until we're eliminated?

Because we’re dumb. Pretty terrible look for the player and organization on this one.

Momahan has 0 value right now, and this injury will only further degrade his abilities. Yikes.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
So why does Hanifin get shut down immediately after he aggravates his shoulder but Monahan plays until we're eliminated?
Maybe Monahan felt that he didn’t need to shut down immediately and wanted to keep trying and contributing? That’s the only explanation that would make sense to me really

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Maybe Monahan felt that he didn’t need to shut down immediately and wanted to keep trying and contributing? That’s the only explanation that would make sense to me really
We've been down this road with Monahan before and it wasn't worth it then either. Just baffling how often this organization chooses to get in its own way.

This news does make Monahan more tradeable. He looked excellent in his first 10 games of the season.

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We've been down this road with Monahan before and it wasn't worth it then either. Just baffling how often this organization chooses to get in its own way.

This news does make Monahan more tradeable. He looked excellent in his first 10 games of the season.

Does it? To me it makes him less tradeable as he has a history of not saying healthy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because not all injuries are created the same, nor are players. For example, one injury could be more minor but without surgery it will get worse with use, while another could be more serious and have little chance of getting worse without surgery. Even if two guys have the same injury, as long as it's not going to get worse with use it would be up to the player if they want surgery immediately or to wait.

Now my general comment to this thread...

Monahan has been hurt since what was it the second week of February? People might not agree with his decision to play but why do fans and media always question his heart, dedication and work ethic? The dude has proved time and time again that he will give everything to this team. He deserves way more respect than this fanbase gives him.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Because not all injuries are created the same, nor are players. For example, one injury could be more minor but without surgery it will get worse with use, while another could be more serious and have little chance of getting worse without surgery. Even if two guys have the same injury, as long as it's not going to get worse with use it would be up to the player if they want surgery immediately or to wait.

Now my general comment to this thread...

Monahan has been hurt since what was it the second week of February? People might not agree with his decision to play but why do fans and media always question his heart, dedication and work ethic? The dude has proved time and time again that he will give everything to this team. He deserves way more respect than this fanbase gives him.

I was just gonna ask if he was getting a heart and brain surgery too, cause the experts keep saying he's got no heart and is mentally weak.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hip surgery is the worst for hockey players. Especially for guys who weren't too fast to begin with. Sad to say but not likely Sean ever gets back to where he was in 2018-19.

Also makes him very hard to trade this offseason.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hip surgery is the worst for hockey players. Especially for guys who weren't too fast to begin with. Sad to say but not likely Sean ever gets back to where he was in 2018-19.

Also makes him very hard to trade this offseason.
This past off-season Pastrnak, Seguin and Kucherov all had hip surgery, the latter two were far more serious than Pasta's and from the sounds of it Monahan's but there is not the same over the top claims they will never be the same.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This past off-season Pastrnak, Seguin and Kucherov all had hip surgery, the latter two were far more serious than Pasta's and from the sounds of it Monahan's but there is not the same over the top claims they will never be the same.

Seguin and Kucherov played 3 games combined this year. They probably will never be the same. Pastrnak went from winning the Rocket to scoring 20 goals. Not over the top at all to suggest that it's a career altering surgery. For a lot of guys it's curtains. Sean is young enough and good enough that it likely won't be.

I for one am glad we won’t be trading him when his value is minimal.

His value has been minimal for a while. Now it's even less than that. You hope it rebounds to minimal at this stage.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
What a selfish player and cowardly organization. Forcing a useless, injured player to stay in the lineup when someone else could step in and possibly help. This organization can't get out of it's own way.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think its hard to comment if the Flames were negligent here. We do not know the circumstances of this injury. I would like to think (at least hope) that the only reason he was not shut down earlier was because there was no additional risk long term to his health.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00