Injury Report: Flames Shut Down Sean Monahan: Hip Surgery

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'm not claiming to have proffessional opinion, and I don't think anyone is here either. We're all reacting to the same information everyone has. We are also not bound purely to what happened with Monahan here as our base of knowledge. It's no secret that players play through injuries and that hockey culture as a whole promotes it. We have a quote from Sutter in this thread giving Monahan props for playing through this injury. I think you're conflating this issue with other people out there who have hype for Bennett.

Just based off the limited information (yes, doctors are consulted here but without their quotes in here we can't speculate that the hip injury is unimpactful) such as Monahan missing games earlier in the year with an LBI, and the culmination of hockey culture to play through injuries, it shouldn't be a point of ridicule that the teams #1 centre is AGAIN being shut down right after they've been eliminated for surgical procedures. That is 100% cause for concern and waiving that away because "Well doctors are involved" as though team doctors are infallible and have the players best interest in mind is weird. We literally have a case in the NHL now where Eichel is being referred away from experimental surgery that could improve his QoL because it hasn't been preformed on an NHL player before, and they are pushing for him to take a longer, more arduous route to maybe getting healthy. There is no reason to assume hockey doctors are infallible and defending them this vehemently is weird to me.
I never claimed anyone was infallible, my point is what you know is literally limited to:
  • he has an injured hip
  • it needs surgery to be repaired
Do you have any idea how many different hip problems could result in surgery? Me either but it's safe to say there is a pretty significant number and that they are not all created equally.

I need wrist surgery, it is not going to get better without surgery, it will progressively get worse. But guess what? It hasn't stopped me from doing anything, it just hurts and is uncomfortable to do it while I wait for surgery but the same surgery will be required regardless, it's just a mater of when.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I never claimed anyone was infallible, my point is what you know is literally limited to:
  • he has an injured hip
  • it needs surgery to be repaired
Do you have any idea how many different hip problems could result in surgery? Me either but it's safe to say there is a pretty significant number and that they are not all created equally.

I need wrist surgery, it is not going to get better without surgery, it will progressively get worse. But guess what? It hasn't stopped me from doing anything, it just hurts and is uncomfortable to do it while I wait for surgery but the same surgery will be required regardless, it's just a mater of when.
Fair enough. This definitely feels like the straw that breaks the camels back from a fan perspective but in all reality it's not fair to assume the surgery was the cause of his downfall or that by playing on it he would be reaggravating it. Gonna have to see what Monahan/reporters say about it in the future to know for sure.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Fair enough. This definitely feels like the straw that breaks the camels back from a fan perspective but in all reality it's not fair to assume the surgery was the cause of his downfall or that by playing on it he would be reaggravating it. Gonna have to see what Monahan/reporters say about it in the future to know for sure.
It's only that straw because Monahan is the whipping boy for this franchise

Reactions: Nanuuk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So why does Hanifin get shut down immediately after he aggravates his shoulder but Monahan plays until we're eliminated?
Likely it comes down to the details of the injury. There are many injuries that can be managed and don't carry a risk of being made worse by playing. With others, trying to play through can be extremely dangerous.

If Monahan's surgery recovery can be contained within the offseason and was in the first category, they likely felt there was no point shutting him down until they were eliminated.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Most likely is that his injury wasnt going to become any worse to continue playing, Hanifin's would of gotten worse. Flames were trying to push for the playoffs and a 65% Monahan is better than anyone they could of called up. I give him a lot of credit to play through the pain and do his best.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Monahan has been hurt since what was it the second week of February? People might not agree with his decision to play but why do fans and media always question his heart, dedication and work ethic? The dude has proved time and time again that he will give everything to this team. He deserves way more respect than this fanbase gives him.

It's disgusting the way people talk about Monahan, always blaming him for literally every game, every shift, everything, there is no one on the team with a higher commitment to the team than he does.

The way Flames fans treat their own players, we don't deserve Wright or Bedard, somehow they'd just turn into the problem as well.

Even now, when he gets shut down that we're officially eliminated still half this thread is just shitting on the guy, like f*** off people.

And no, this and the Hanifin scenario are no where near the same, you can play through pain in the hip, you can't play when there is a tear in your shoulder.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I’ve been hard on Monahan. I don’t know when he was injured, and he’s also been asked to play a better defensive game under Sutter.

I just don’t think having him play through these injuries is going to be beneficial long term. At some point playing through those injuries will catch up, and we’re going to be hoping that we had Monahan in the lineup. It seems like it’s getting worse every year, and I would’ve rather we had shut down Monahan when he began to have his hip problems than doing it with 4 games left in the season. Sure, we are in a playoff race but i would rather we had Sean at 100% for next season than trying salvage an already lost season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
They had Bennett just sitting there ready to go.

If you're getting to center the team's best offensive player and play on the top PP unit you better not finish any worse than 4th on the team in scoring.

He was 8th on the team in 5v5 scoring behind

Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Mangiapane
Backlund
Lucic
Dube

He was tied 8th in 5v5 goals with Leivo and Giordano.

This is not to hate on Monahan but let's not pretend like his performance this year would have been tough to replace. His performance and the decision to keep him as the team's top center were both not acceptable.
You make it sound like Bennett was never given a chance. He had plenty of chances. 400+ games later, he just couldn't get it done here... except in a couple of playoff series.
I'm happy Bennett is having success in Florida but the Florida Bennett in no way resembles the Calgary Bennett who often took stupid penalties at the most inopportune moments in the game, made that one extra move trying to do it all himself and then coughed up the puck, or just couldn't seem to finish and either missed the net or shot it right at the goalie.
Bennett was not the Flames center saviour and five coaches thought so too... that's right... FIVE (Hartley, Gulutzan, Peters, Ward, and Suter).
Call me stupid but I trust their coaching credentials and player assessment over yours... although maybe I'm wrong and your NHL credentials are better than theirs. who knows. If yours are... let me know.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You make it sound like Bennett was never given a chance. He had plenty of chances. 400+ games later, he just couldn't get it done here... except in a couple of playoff series.
I'm happy Bennett is having success in Florida but the Florida Bennett in no way resembles the Calgary Bennett who often took stupid penalties at the most inopportune moments in the game, made that one extra move trying to do it all himself and then coughed up the puck, or just couldn't seem to finish and either missed the net or shot it right at the goalie.
Bennett was not the Flames center saviour and five coaches thought so too... that's right... FIVE (Hartley, Gulutzan, Peters, Ward, and Suter).
Call me stupid but I trust their coaching credentials and player assessment over yours... although maybe I'm wrong and your NHL credentials are better than theirs. who knows. If yours are... let me know.

They were wrong if Bennett blossoms into a 1C or 2C in Florida, no matter what credentials they have. No?

Bennett had some opportunities but they also did a lot of stupid things with him. He spent most of his time with scrubs like Jankowski. The better argument is it’s Treliving’s fault for not having enough depth to give him a real line mate full time

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

How many times was he given a meaningful chance to center anyone with notable skill?

And all 5 of those guys have lead the team to failure. The best coach of the 5 (Hartley) only had him during his rookie season, and its not uncommon for 19 year old centers to start out on the wing. The next year Gulutzan had him center Troy Brouwer and Kris Versteeg as a 20 year old (2 of the worst 5v5 players the Flames had at the time), and when that line predictably failed, he moved Bennett to the wing like an idiot.

If you really want to appeal to authority, perhaps we look to the most successful NHL coach that Bennett has ever played under - Joel Quenneville. He immediately deployed Bennett as a top 6 center with skilled players. An opportunity Bennett never got as a Flame.

I don't claim to know more than past Flames coaches, but I do consider myself to be a good talent evaluator, and I don't need somebody with NHL credentials to confirm my opinions. However, on this player, I saw something past coaches obviously didn't, and Joel Quenneville saw the same thing. And the early returns are proving that Quenneville, myself, and others (specifically OKG) were spot on in our evaluations.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Aside from the disingenuous pile of rubbish most of that post is, lol @ 3 trash coaches who will likely never be head coaches in the NHL again that are your sad appeals to authority. And by the way, Hartley and Sutter were big fans of Bennett.

On the flip side of that appeal to authority, you have the best coach of the era in Quenneville immediately putting Bennett at center, immediately giving him a ton of ice time, immediately giving him good linemates and lo and behold, he's immediately thriving. But very convenient to ignore all that because you just can't admit the Flames made a mistake.

And I know the Bennett haters on here are having their fuses shorting out on the regular but these miserable attempts at re-writing recent history are hilariously sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->