Prospect Info: Flames prospect rankings: #7 RUN-OFF POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
I don't see a huge issue with it; Mangiapagne appears to have one of the higher upsides of the remaining guys. You basically have your choice between apparent boom/bust guys like him, moderate ceiling/floor guys like Poirier and likely Hickey, and a bunch of low ceiling guys.

Brayden Burke just put up 109 points in the WHL and didnt get drafted for the 2nd straight year. I like Mangiapagne, but he's a small forward and hasnt shown anything like Gaudreau did in the NCAA/WJ/World Champs. Plenty of similar players like him go on to not make the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't see a huge issue with it; Mangiapagne appears to have one of the higher upsides of the remaining guys. You basically have your choice between apparent boom/bust guys like him, moderate ceiling/floor guys like Poirier and likely Hickey, and a bunch of low ceiling guys.
I think it is a case of stat watching and people assuming high points = good player. The guy hasn't proved anything other than he can score alot of points in junior with high scoring linemates.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Based on my own seemingly-arbitrary criteria, Hickey just barely misses eligibility to be included in the run-off poll. However, Poirier (35%) and Mangiapane (30%) make it to a run-off.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I think it is a case of stat watching and people assuming high points = good player. The guy hasn't proved anything other than he can score alot of points in junior with high scoring linemates.

Mangiapane outscored his most common linemate last season by 41 points. He and Labanc were separated for most of the year.

It's fine to doubt Mangiapane's NHL potential, but I think it's pretty uncharitable to try to downplay a season in which he ranked third in the OHL behind Mitch Marner and Kevin Labanc in primary points per game.

Also, the point of a forward is to create goals, so I would think the ability to score a lot of points would be taken as a very positive sign.

Personally, I think Mangiapane will be a successful NHL player for two reasons: He knows how to score goals in a way that should translate well to the NHL, as this article argues, and he was a great penalty killer for the Colts, which is usually a good sign when trying to project junior players. But at this point it's all speculation; he'll show us what he's got when he gets to training camp/Stockton. Hopefully he'll be fully healthy and ready to play by then.

I think next season will be very important for both Mangiapane and Poirier. Poirier needs to show that last season was a temporary setback due to conditioning issues/bad bounces/whatever and Mangiapane needs to show he can score in the pros. That said, I take Mangiapane here because I think he has greater potential than Poirier did at the same stage of development and Poirier's progression since does not indicate there's a better player there than what he looked like in junior.

Last edited:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Im admittedly not the biggest Poirier fan, but I have to go with him over Mangiapane right now. This is too high for Mangiapane.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
If both were drafted in the same round, Mangiapane would win this vote easily.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If both were drafted in the same round, Mangiapane would win this vote easily.

Some perspective here, in Poirier's draft plus 2 season he was named to the AHL all-star team.

In Mangiapane's draft plus two season he tore up the OHL on one of the best lines in the league.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
If Mangiapane wasn't skipped in his first draft eligible season he would also win this vote easily.

Because both would mean he was a better player than he actually is.

...If Mangiapane had been drafted after his first draft-eligible season he would be a better player than he is? This makes no sense.

If Shaybe Gostisbehere had been drafted after his first draft-eligible season he would be a better player than he is.

If Henrik Zetterberg had been drafted before the seventh round, he would be a better player than he is.

...Nope, sorry, still don't see it.

You could say, "If Mangiapane had been drafted in his first draft-eligible season, he would have been a better prospect then than he actually was at the time," which is still a little nonsensical, but that wouldn't have any bearing on the fact he's outperformed multiple 2014 first-round picks in the two years since then either.

By the way, again, Mangiapane did not play on one of the best lines in junior hockey. He played with Scott and Sadowy on the Colts' second line some of the time, and with Labanc and a rotating cast of centers on the first line some of the time. Tkachuk and his 1000 secondary assists benefited immensely from gelling with two dominant players in Dvorak and Marner, but the same logic can't be used to qualify Mangiapane's results.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Took Poirier here. If he reaches his potential, we have a Brad Marchand type on our hands. I think this (and any!) team needs that more than another small winger - especially one shrouded in uncertainty.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Took Poirier here. If he reaches his potential, we have a Brad Marchand type on our hands. I think this (and any!) team needs that more than another small winger - especially one shrouded in uncertainty.

I think that's a reach. I don't ever see Poirier being a 30+ goal scorer with ~50-60 points while providing ELITE two way play.

If we are talking rookie Brad Marchand that put up 20-20-40 while being a pest (mostly from the Bruins 3rd line at the time) then yeah, I can see that if he hits his full potential. But 1st line forward who plays some of the best defensive hockey in the entire NHL? No.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think that's a reach. I don't ever see Poirier being a 30+ goal scorer with ~50-60 points while providing ELITE two way play.

If we are talking rookie Brad Marchand that put up 20-20-40 while being a pest (mostly from the Bruins 3rd line at the time) then yeah, I can see that if he hits his full potential. But 1st line forward who plays some of the best defensive hockey in the entire NHL? No.

Yeah, I don't expect him to be Brad Marchand, I said Brad Marchand-TYPE... skilled winger with an edge to his game, hopefully can help on the PK. If he can put up 20 goals and be a pest from the 3rd line, color me happy. That's the type of player you need in the playoffs.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Mangiapane will be a Paul Byron type player if he makes the NHL. I think Poirier will essentially clone himself and become Brad Marchand, then kill the real Brad Marchand and play for the Bruins as Marchand.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I could see Mangiapane becoming a Zuccarello type player. Wouldn't pick him over guys that are much closer to being pros ie Kulak, Hickey. I'd say he's on par with Poirier although either guy could jump ahead next year.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Because if he was a better player he would have been taken sooner. Sorry, thought that point was obvious.

I understood your point. It just has no bearing on Mangiapane's value as a prospect two years later.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Because if he was a better player he would have been taken sooner. Sorry, thought that point was obvious.

What about Joseph Blandisi. Undrafted. Went from the colts straight to a top 6 role with NJ and he scores less than Mangiapane.

People seriously need to stop with the draft position obsession. It's why we had a scrub like Klimchuk rated at like 4 last year. Draft position means nothing. These are 18 year old kids. Trust me, I grew up playing hockey with Thomas Hickey. Draft position is overrated, especially on these boards.

He out scored Mitch Marner in the second half of the season. He had a 6 game streak with at least 3 points in every game. On a bad leg.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The one who was drafted by Colorado in 2012?

You are right I just remember them saying he signed as a FA. Which he did. He was a 6th rounder that went unsigned by the geniuses running Colorado. Regardless. Colts fans I've talked to say Mangiapane is better than Blandisi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad