Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames prospect rankings: #7

1. Matthew Tkachuk (73.81%)
  2. Jon Gillies (54.00%)
  3. Mark Jankowski (54.39%)
  4. Oliver Kylington (45.95%:tiebreaker:61.54%)
  5. Hunter Shinkaruk (60.98%)
  6. Rasmus Andersson (52.17%)

Run-off rules:

• If first and second place are separated by a number of votes less than or equal to the number of votes for third place, a run-off vote will take place.
  • If first and third are separated by a number of votes less than the number of all other votes, a three-way run-off vote will take place.
  • Rules are subject to change due to common sense at all times.

Last edited:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Maybe this time I will pick someone who played for his hometown team this past year so he has time to commit to his training in the offseason, instead of only his family and friends.

Edit: Wait? Pretty much all of them, if not all, play away from home? They must all be out of shape then. But only a handful of them have signed contracts, so only a handful of them will be falling short of expectations. But, who am I to voice my opinion on a message board, none of us have any sort of self-discipline, so we aren't in a position to judge. :help:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Went with Hickey.

Regarding the previous thread, some thoughts. If Rasmus is performing the way he is which is not in pristine shape, I wonder how good he will be should he fully commit himself?

Lastly, that phrase from Loob on the Fan "A little unfit, a little bit lazy" was about Andersson. He's been this way for a while now. :laugh:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Went with Hickey, but this is where it gets really tough for me, strongly considered 4 or 5 guys here.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Went Poirier over next best solely based on the he was picked 21st (?) overall. The expectation should be higher. I was super high on him in junior and he had a good first year in the ahl. Hopefully his past season is just a sophomore slump in turns of production or he wil start to lose the shine he once had.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hathaway should be getting more consideration here. He has already played NHL games. I guess some people just prefer the mystery box. I know a few of them have as well to be fair.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Hathaway should be getting more consideration here. He has already played NHL games. I guess some people just prefer the mystery box. I know a few of them have as well to be fair.

I just prefer guys who have more than bottom 6 upside be in my top prospects. Guys like Hathaway are good prospects to have, but are really a dime a dozen.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I just prefer guys who have more than bottom 6 upside be in my top prospects. Guys like Hathaway are good prospects to have, but are really a dime a dozen.

I'll take the sure thing for $1000 Trebek. Fair enough though, I can certainly see your linear thoughts of feeling that way.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Again though, the question is who would you rather have? I would not rather move any of the guys already picked over Hathaway.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Yeah at some point I'd just rather take a risk on a potential high upside guy, really nothing against Hathaway. I always find it hard to place guys like Hathway who maybe don't have the high upside like others but are a safe bet to play in the NHL in relation to other boom/bust type guys. Wotherspoo is in that same category for me too, I'm probably one of his biggest fans, but he doesn't have the upside of others.

We could do a poll ranking prospects by upside and then by likelihood to play, and end up with to completely different lists.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Again though, the question is who would you rather have? I would not rather move any of the guys already picked over Hathaway.

Well if the poll ends this way it becomes a discussion of Poirer vs Hathaway. One could argue that Hathaway has already achieved Poirier's downside, with the chance at becoming a 3rd liner. They play similar games but, as of right now. Hathaway has played the grinder role better. He might not have the offensive upside but, at this point that is all it is. Upside.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well if the poll ends this way it becomes a discussion of Poirer vs Hathaway. One could argue that Hathaway has already achieved Poirier's downside, with the chance at becoming a 3rd liner. They play similar games but, as of right now. Hathaway has played the grinder role better. He might not have the offensive upside but, at this point that is all it is. Upside.

I don't know how much the number of NHL games last season tells us in a comparison of these two players given Hathaway is 24 years old and Poirier is 21. Both of them received call-ups last season, which indicates that they're around the same level of ability and close to each other on the depth chart. Poirier is three years younger. How is this even a question?

And the other thing you have to consider is that the Flames have no issue letting Hathaway play small minutes as a fourth liner, because that's his projection. That makes the barrier for him to get into NHL games much lower than for Poirier, who needs to earn top 9 minutes at the NHL level at least before they're willing to bring him up and cut his ice time.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't know how much the number of NHL games last season tells us in a comparison of these two players given Hathaway is 24 years old and Poirier is 21. Both of them received call-ups last season, which indicates that they're around the same level of ability and close to each other on the depth chart. Poirier is three years younger. How is this even a question?

And the other thing you have to consider is that the Flames have no issue letting Hathaway play small minutes as a fourth liner, because that's his projection. That makes the barrier for him to get into NHL games much lower than for Poirier, who needs to earn top 9 minutes at the NHL level at least before they're willing to bring him up and cut his ice time.

I just haven't seen what you gents have seen in Poirier I guess. I think his pedigree is blinding to a lot of you. Hathaway fought his way tooth and nail for his shot, and plays accordingly to ensure he keeps it. Poirier is fast and makes stupid positional mistakes and takes detrimental penalties in games to boot.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I just haven't seen what you gents have seen in Poirier I guess. I think his pedigree is blinding to a lot of you. Hathaway fought his way tooth and nail for his shot, and plays accordingly to ensure he keeps it. Poirier is fast and makes stupid positional mistakes and takes detrimental penalties in games to boot.

Poirier has had a comparable amount of success at the AHL level to Hathaway though. However, Poirier is three years younger.

I really like Hathaway and I think he is one of the favorites to steal a spot on our 4th line this season, however at 24 years old. His upside is likely pretty limited.

He is the kind of prospect that is pretty easily replaceable, see guys like Jooris, Bouma ect.

This board had very similar arguments about Bouma's ranking before he broke into the NHL, and that he should be ranked higher based on being NHL ready. I guess it just comes down to how much you value upside vs how close a prospect is to the NHL.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Hathaway's route to the NHL is commendable, but having to climb uphill against the odds doesn't help him skate faster or shoot harder. You have to set aside those factors.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Poirier has had a comparable amount of success at the AHL level to Hathaway though. However, Poirier is three years younger.

I really like Hathaway and I think he is one of the favorites to steal a spot on our 4th line this season, however at 24 years old. His upside is likely pretty limited.

He is the kind of prospect that is pretty easily replaceable, see guys like Jooris, Bouma ect.

This board had very similar arguments about Bouma's ranking before he broke into the NHL, and that he should be ranked higher based on being NHL ready. I guess it just comes down to how much you value upside vs how close a prospect is to the NHL.

Well said.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Mangi for me.
That upside, no one else on the board has it. Unless Poirier or Klimmer have major seasons in the A this year, we're talking about middle to bottom 6'ers at best. Andrew still has some offensive dynamo in him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Mangi for me.
That upside, no one else on the board has it. Unless Poirier or Klimmer have major seasons in the A this year, we're talking about middle to bottom 6'ers at best. Andrew still has some offensive dynamo in him.

I thought about Mangi here, but I want to see how he does in the AHL first. If we were going strictly on upside he is probably 2nd or 3rd at this point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lmao @ Mangiapaine getting so many votes. We have seen this story with prospects before. Almost never does it turn out.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
lmao @ Mangiapaine getting so many votes. We have seen this story with prospects before. Almost never does it turn out.

I don't see a huge issue with it; Mangiapane appears to have one of the higher upsides of the remaining guys. You basically have your choice between apparent boom/bust guys like him, moderate ceiling/floor guys like Poirier and likely Hickey, and a bunch of low ceiling guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad