Confirmed with Link: Flames Place Stone On Waivers For Buyout

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames should have roughly 7 million in cap space. If the flames send czarnik and gillies down, the flames can open up an additional 1.8 million dollars as well. I’d assume kylington likely starts in the AHL with Davidson as a #7 fill in ( kind of like prout).

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That sucks he is a NHL level defenseman I am surprised we couldn’t have moved him for a late round pick or slightly cheaper contract.

I guess that means Brodie is staying since we don’t gave any extra NHL level RHD in the organization.

Hope Stone signs on somewhere and does well he is a good player.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's a sign of the times. Ten years ago a player like Stone would still have been coveted, even with the injury history and hefty cap hit. Now, every team has someone who can do the job for cheaper.

Although, if ownership was willing to retain salary, maybe Treliving could have done something.

Oh and they still need to trade Frolik or someone else. A shade under 8M isn't near enough cap space to sign both Tkachuk and Mangiapane while also having some breathing room for flexibility.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's a sign of the times. Ten years ago a player like Stone would still have been coveted, even with the injury history and hefty cap hit. Now, every team has someone who can do the job for cheaper.

Although, if ownership was willing to retain salary, maybe Treliving could have done something.

Oh and they still need to trade Frolik or someone else. A shade under 8M isn't near enough cap space to sign both Tkachuk and Mangiapane while also having some breathing room for flexibility.

Unless of course we are going to make the tragic mistake of bridging Tkachuk for 2 years or something.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think it is one of two things, 1.) They have a contract in place for Tkachuk and needed the cap space or 2.) They have a trade lined up and needed the cap space. There are about two months left, I think some team would have seen his off season training and taken a chance on him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it is one of two things, 1.) They have a contract in place for Tkachuk and needed the cap space or 2.) They have a trade lined up and needed the cap space. There are about two months left, I think some team would have seen his off season training and taken a chance on him.

I think it because they had 3 days to make the buyout or risk having cap hit for the year.

I would love to think they hadn’t trade ready to fill the massive hole we have on our second line but I think we are going to see the 3m live rolled out again and another year of Tkachuk wasted as a checker.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

It would be nice if it was either of those, but as mentioned the buyout window is only open for 3 days. So it's likely Tre just decided he couldn't risk holding onto Stone.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It would be nice if it was either of those, but as mentioned the buyout window is only open for 3 days. So it's likely Tre just decided he couldn't risk holding onto Stone.

Does the buyout window not happen before the seasons starts?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I am surprised we couldn't do something like Stone @50% for future considerations.

He will probably get a PTO but I feel like this might spell the end of his NHL career unfortunately

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I really hope Brad is learning some valuable lessons about the risks of singing mid levels UFAs.

You can argue that the only ones that haven't blown up in his face are Frolik, and maybe Smith (lol)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I really hope Brad is learning some valuable lessons about the risks of singing mid levels UFAs.

You can argue that the only ones that haven't blown up in his face are Frolik, and maybe Smith (lol)

Hopefully he’ll at least be weary of timing from now on. You have to look at when your big ticket RFAs/UFAs are expiring and know when you’re going to need money. Stone on a two year deal would have been fine

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It's already on paper, when they fired BT, his FA signings is on top of the list of reasons

Not sure what he saw in stone...we wasted picks and cap on this guy...must have some dirty pictures

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Kinda thinking Yelesin will be on this team as the 4th RD.

He was a KHL all-star and was apparently the most physical player in their league.

Reactions: teddygmr

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I guess as a guy to sit in the PB it wouldn’t be terrible but if he played any more than 5 games it would be a big concern.

With our zero options at RHD outside of the 3 guys we already have we need to sign someone, would hope we could do better than Petrovic though.

Edit: and s big no thank you to Yeltsin being anything more than a bottom pairing AHL scrub. Do not want to see him anywhere close to the NHL team.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am surprised we couldn't do something like Stone @50% for future considerations.

He will probably get a PTO but I feel like this might spell the end of his NHL career unfortunately

I think he will get signed somewhere actually, hes healthy now and still young enough to be an effective bottom guy. No way we would've entertained buying him out if our young guys hadn't all stepped into NHL roles at once.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I guess as a guy to sit in the PB it wouldn’t be terrible but if he played any more than 5 games it would be a big concern.

With our zero options at RHD outside of the 3 guys we already have we need to sign someone, would hope we could do better than Petrovic though.

Edit: and s big no thank you to Yeltsin being anything more than a bottom pairing AHL scrub. Do not want to see him anywhere close to the NHL team.

Yelesin, was actually a pretty solid KHL player, one of the better D in that league and only 23 to boot. I don't want him on the NHL roster but I would wager he will be a pretty effective top 4 option on our AHL squad. Might even see him up on the big team at some point if we decide we need an extra physical body in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad