Confirmed with Link: Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Capitals, Toronto, Islanders, Oilers, and Lightning(?) could be in the market for Kipper.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I'm still playing with the idea that Kipper will be out for little longer. The team needs an NHL ready backup to replace Danny Taylor. But we will find out tomorrow, and I'm hoping Irving is here to stay.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I'm still playing with the idea that Kipper will be out for little longer. The team needs an NHL ready backup to replace Danny Taylor. But we will find out tomorrow, and I'm hoping Irving is here to stay.

Agree with this. I believe Irving is able to, and should, keep his NHL job. He's a former first round pick, and if a little confidence is put in him, who knows he could become the goalie he was thought to be when we drafted him. And that is the guy to replace kipper eventually.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Irving was fantastic tonight.. Can't possibly see how Feaster and Hartley could have watched that game while thinking, "he's no good, lets give a 33yr old who is coming off a big injury his spot."..

It's either, A) give Irving a legit backup in case because Kipper might be out longer than expected or B) something is up.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Irving was fantastic tonight.. Can't possibly see how Feaster and Hartley could have watched that game while thinking, "he's no good, lets give a 33yr old who is coming off a big injury his spot."..

It's either, A) give Irving a legit backup in case because Kipper might be out longer than expected or B) something is up.

Or (C) Irving + Taylor don't get along because Irving got drunk and hit on Taylor's old lady, hence McDonald was brought in to warm the bench

Or (D) McDonald is a member of the illuminaty and sold his soul for a chance at a starter role. Feaster either keeps quiet or his family gets harmed.

Or (E).....

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Irving was stellar. There's no way Feaster can reasonably justify a trade or a demotion at this point. Thus, the most logical explanation is that MacDonald was brought in to backup Irving as Hartley and co. didn't feel confident in Taylor's game.

But knowing the Flames, it'll be Irving + 1st round pick for Bozak or Brassard.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Or (C) Irving + Taylor don't get along because Irving got drunk and hit on Taylor's old lady, hence McDonald was brought in to warm the bench

Or (D) McDonald is a member of the illuminaty and sold his soul for a chance at a starter role. Feaster either keeps quiet or his family gets harmed.

Or (E).....

Yours are definitely more thought out and pa hell of a lot more plausible than mine.. Thanks for shaming me.

Congo

Sep 22, 2007
This is my theory on the MacDonald claiming. Just thinking aloud here:

Kipper goes down, Irving gets the start. Feaster and co look around at the trade market and the waiver wire and say "Okay, we need another goaltender who can play in the NHL otherwise we are one unlucky moment away from this season being in impossible trouble. Unfortunately, there's no one available for less than a [x]th round pick, and I'm not willing to trade that for a week of peace of mind." Given that Taylor and Brust have been lights out, they look at Abby and decide that Taylor's style will likely adjust better. The contract goes out to Taylor, in part as a way of rewarding him for his fantastic efforts down on the farm.

Feaster and co sit down again and say "Okay, so we have Taylor to back up Irving. No one is 100% comfortable with that. Here's the plan, we roll with Irving-Taylor unless something better falls into our lap." 24 hours later MacDonald is on the waiver wire. Feaster looks at that and says "Well **** me, that is poor timing." He claims MacDonald, as part of the plan, because he's just better than Taylor. "But Jay!" cries out some poor intern in the Flames office "What about the contract limit!?" Jay puts aside his dolce latte and says "What about the contract limit? As soon as Cammalleri comes back I have another surplus of forwards and D. I'll flip someone for a pick to regain that flexibility." The intern is swiftly taken aside by Craig Conroy, never to be seen or heard from again.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
This is my theory on the MacDonald claiming. Just thinking aloud here:

Kipper goes down, Irving gets the start. Feaster and co look around at the trade market and the waiver wire and say "Okay, we need another goaltender who can play in the NHL otherwise we are one unlucky moment away from this season being in impossible trouble. Unfortunately, there's no one available for less than a [x]th round pick, and I'm not willing to trade that for a week of peace of mind." Given that Taylor and Brust have been lights out, they look at Abby and decide that Taylor's style will likely adjust better. The contract goes out to Taylor, in part as a way of rewarding him for his fantastic efforts down on the farm.

Feaster and co sit down again and say "Okay, so we have Taylor to back up Irving. No one is 100% comfortable with that. Here's the plan, we roll with Irving-Taylor unless something better falls into our lap." 24 hours later MacDonald is on the waiver wire. Feaster looks at that and says "Well **** me, that is poor timing." He claims MacDonald, as part of the plan, because he's just better than Taylor. "But Jay!" cries out some poor intern in the Flames office "What about the contract limit!?" Jay puts aside his dolce latte and says "What about the contract limit? As soon as Cammalleri comes back I have another surplus of forwards and D. I'll flip someone for a pick to regain that flexibility." The intern is swiftly taken aside by Craig Conroy, never to be seen or heard from again.

The problem in your story is that you suggest Craig Conroy does something swiftly.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

Or (E).....

Anderson55

Jun 18, 2010
Hey guys not a flames fan, curious about Kippers, health and future. Anyone know how long he'll be out and how is he playing this year? i was offer kipper and rick nash for tuuka rask. tempted just not sure about kipper this year

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yours are definitely more thought out and pa hell of a lot more plausible than mine.. Thanks for shaming me.

:laugh: I get weird after the Flames lose but play a good game. It's some mixed feeling between proud and angry.

Besides, I never mentioned option E: Feaster's having a mid life crisis and is now experimenting with narcotic cocktails. He's flat out off his rocker.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Hey guys not a flames fan, curious about Kippers, health and future. Anyone know how long he'll be out and how is he playing this year? i was offer kipper and rick nash for tuuka rask. tempted just not sure about kipper this year

We don't know much more then you. Theres reports saying he's good to go for wednesday but its probably not true, hes been skating but no butterfly, or any sort of movements that require his knee. Picking up MacDonald is also causing speculation that the injury might be more serious than we thought.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
What exactly are reports basing his expected return off of?

Simply by the fact that he's been skating. Bob McKenzie said if all goes well he'll be good to go wednesday and reports for the flames like Roger Millions who actually saw him at practice are expecting his return to be longer then that.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I don't have an hour! I want to know now!!

untitle.JPG

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg
Feaster says MacDonald adds experience to the team. #Flames

#Flames say MacDonald was a target and they'd have claimed him whenever.

Kiprusoff has a slight grade 2 MCL sprain. Projected out another 2 weeks. #Flames

Danny Taylor is on waivers. #Flames

Ben Street has been assigned to Abbotsford. #Flames have recalled Paul Byron.

All from Twitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad