HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They can wait and see how the Flames do this season and how things are shaping up for them the following season (since almost their entire blueline are UFA next summer)

The Flames did get 93 pts last season so perhaps they will be close to 20th OA or so but we'll see as I don't know the team very well to see why they struggled last year. But we have time to see how things unfold.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Calgary have their hands tied with that trade. Why did they give that 2024 option to Hughes? If they have a good season, they will not be able to use that pick (unless they trade the pick Montreal won't have 24-or 25.)

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Then why are people worried about the 2025 pick? The farther off we can put it the higher the return has the potential to be.

Nothing is for sure in this world and once something has the potential it will happen it's just a matter of when.
I get it, but the probabilities just aren’t there for that to happen. I think CGY needs to get 1OV in 2025, as part of it, for the 2026 to transfer.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
If they don't get the 2025 pick does it go to 2026 without any conditions?
Right, the best outcome under super crazy conditions would be 26 1st overall + CGY’s 2025 3rd, but that is really unlikely to happen.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Thats-bait-young-sir.gif

Don't do it guys. We only have our pick in '25 and the Flames are legit contenders.

Reactions: cphabs and ReHabs

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
They can wait and see how the Flames do this season and how things are shaping up for them the following season (since almost their entire blueline are UFA next summer)

The Flames did get 93 pts last season so perhaps they will be close to 20th OA or so but we'll see as I don't know the team very well to see why they struggled last year. But we have time to see how things unfold.
Calgary usually alternates between a very good year and an inexplicably bad year. And they just had a bad year...

Reactions: FloJack

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Right, the best outcome under super crazy conditions would be 26 1st overall + CGY’s 2025 3rd, but that is really unlikely to happen.
Your statement is true but it could happen. We have a pick so is it better to get it earlier and a lower value or delay it by a year with the possibility of being a lottery pic? At worst the pick is at 32 ether year with the potential of being #1 overall in the second.

Why aim low? So many Debbie downers in here. The games still need to be played.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The way the conditions are phrased, Montreal gets the better pick, as long as it's not top-10. I figure this means a pick in the 10-20 range is most likely, regardless of who of Florida and Calgary end up there. I can say I would've been willing to move the conditional pick for #16, because #16 in a good year is likely to be what we'd get anyway, so we'd be giving up some (unlikely) upside as well as some (fairly unlikely too) downside. (ie, Calgary ends up bottom 10, Florida has a strong year, we pick at #25-30)

Reactions: LaP

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Why aim low? So many Debbie downers in here. The games still need to be played.
We are not those who can really influence it. The only part we can influence is to take 2024 CGY 1st if it is 20-32. I agree with you, we should just refuse and wait for the outcome. I am not really high on this year draft, it is deep on defense, but that is really the last thing we need :)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Calgary usually alternates between a very good year and an inexplicably bad year. And they just had a bad year...
Flames probably just give us the '24 pick to be done with it. The '25 draft a lot better than '24 draft. Unless Calgary has terrible year, but I doubt they do. Mid level team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
people may complain about having a thread for this since it backfired so badly this year with the panthers pick but this could be huge news for that pick in '25 so I thought it should have it's own thread as the next 2 years for the Flames could be great news for us if they suck but not too much as a 11th OA finish would be the best outcome.
I'm expecting us to get the Florida pick. Florida are looking kike they'll be ccx really good, and Calgary are looking likey'll be bottom ten bad.

At this point I want to see news about cmCalgary adding good players to hopefully bring them out of the top ten. I mean it would be great if Florida could also sink to the bottom 10. But that is almost impossible.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
We are not those who can really influence it. The only part we can influence is to take 2024 CGY 1st if it is 20-32. I agree with you, we should just refuse and wait for the outcome. I am not really high on this year draft, it is deep on defense, but that is really the last thing we need :)
As I look at the teams involved and what I see of where teams are in competitive curses along with what we have in the system for as it worth I hope we keep this in the hank as long as possible 👍

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Who knows.

Anton Silayev is still unranked by EliteProspects and every scouting service, and he has 3 assists in 3 KHL games, as a 6"7 17 year old LHD.

A lot is going to change.

A good pick in 2024 fits our future core better than a 2025 or 2026 pick

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
This year (2023-24) the pick can only transfer if the Flames make the playoffs. So the only question this year is will the Flames make the playoffs?

If the Flames pick is a top-20 pick in 2024, then next year (2024-25) the Panthers pick only transfers to the Flames if they make the playoffs. If the Panthers make the playoffs - the Habs get the better of whichever of the picks is outside the top-10.

If the Panthers miss the playoffs in 2024-25, then the Habs get the Flames pick unless it is the first overall pick.

If the Flames pick is #1 OV in 2025 and the Panthers missed the playoffs, Habs get the better of the two (FLA & CGY) picks in 2026.

There are a couple of chances to get mid round picks thrown in as well.

We'll see what happens this year with the Flames.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This year (2023-24) the pick can only transfer if the Flames make the playoffs. So the only question this year is will the Flames make the playoffs?

If the Flames pick is a top-20 pick in 2024, then next year (2024-25) the Panthers pick only transfers to the Flames if they make the playoffs. If the Panthers make the playoffs - the Habs get the better of whichever of the picks is outside the top-10.

If the Panthers miss the playoffs in 2024-25, then the Habs get the Flames pick unless it is the first overall pick.

If the Flames pick is #1 OV in 2025 and the Panthers missed the playoffs, Habs get the better of the two (FLA & CGY) picks in 2026.

There are a couple of chances to get mid round picks thrown in as well.

We'll see what happens this year with the Flames.
The most likely outcome if we want to be real is this.

1) Flames miss this year. They missed last year. Backlund is unlikely to re-edit his revival season of last year. It's an old team on the decline. Backlund is 34. Markstrom 33. Tanev 33. Kadri 32. Many teams behind them last year should be better this year like Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida, Pens. I will be extremely surprised if the Fames makes it to the playoffs.

2) Florida makes the playoffs in 2024-2025. It's a young team with barely any important player over 28. They have to resign Reinhart and Montour at the end of the season so they'll likely lose one of the two but they made the playoffs this year despite a terrible start where they were on pace to draft top 10 for like half the year. They could miss but that would be a surprise.

3) The question is where will Flames draft in 2024-2025? Top 10 which means we will end up with Florida's pick or between 11 and 20 which means we will end up with a good pick. I think around 11 to 15 is quite likely to happen actually.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
3) The question is where will Flames draft in 2024-2025? Top 10 which means we will end up with Florida's pick or between 11 and 20 which means we will end up with a good pick. I think around 11 to 15 is quite likely to happen actually.
I'm not so sure.

When there are 32 ranks possible in theory, I doubt any selection of just 5 is "quite likely to happen". It is more likely that one of the 27 other draft ranks will happen.

Now 11-15 is surely more likely than the pure 5/32 chance, but if I were betting I would bet on NOT 11-15 over 11-15.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The most likely outcome if we want to be real is this.

1) Flames miss this year. They missed last year. Backlund is unlikely to re-edit his revival season of last year. It's an old team on the decline. Backlund is 34. Markstrom 33. Tanev 33. Kadri 32. Many teams behind them last year should be better this year like Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida, Pens. I will be extremely surprised if the Fames makes it to the playoffs.

2) Florida makes the playoffs in 2024-2025. It's a young team with barely any important player over 28. They have to resign Reinhart and Montour at the end of the season so they'll likely lose one of the two but they made the playoffs this year despite a terrible start where they were on pace to draft top 10 for like half the year. They could miss but that would be a surprise.

The Atlantic is tough and getting tougher. A year is a long time. I'm not ready to pencil Florida into the Atlantic playoffs even this year, let alone next year. I think we're going to have to watch it play out year by year. See how the Flames do this season, and then take it from there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Flames may ask us to take it instead. After 10th or so this draft is weak. No depth.

it doesn't matter what they want, they have no say. If they finish 20th OA or higher then the Habs can chose to take the pick or wait till the '25 draft, which is what I assume they will do if the Flames were to end up 20th OA or higher.

Reactions: dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad