Speculation: Flames one of final contenders for Grabovski

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I've followed both since they were 18 and 22 years old respectively.

Grabovski was the best Maple Leafs player consistently for 3 years.

Stajan has never had a stint that resembles anything close to what Mikhail is capable of doing.

You can't compare Stajan to Grabovski.

I hope you get Mikhail. I want him to stay in Canada.

Dat username

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Calgary Flames Steps to Success:

1. Sign Grabo to a one-year $3.5-4mil contract
2. Let Monahan play his 9 games to start the year then send him down
4. Let Grabo go beast mode to spite the Leafs
3. Trade Grabo AND Stajan, as well as Cammy for picks at the deadline
4. Suck real bad in 2014-2015
5. Draft McDavid
6. Plan parade

Pretty much fool proof.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

5. Draft McDavid
6. Plan parade

Pretty much fool proof.

I like it. Although I think a 1 yr deal would be more than that.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I would absolutely sign him to a high dollar, 1-2 year deal. Anything over 2 years does not work for us. We need someone to play top line centre and he's better then anyone we currently have.

Grabovski
Stajan/backlund/knight

That is a decent core of centers that will at least help us be competitive while the kids grow.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have no problem signing Grabo for A) 1-2 Years with a high cap hit, or B) 3-4 Years with a lower cap hit and a moveable contract.

Let him play out the year here and flip him at the deadline or draft. Him and Cammy can put up some points together and increase their stock.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

5. Draft McDavid
6. Plan parade

Pretty much fool proof.

Why do so many Flames fans have a crush on Connor McDavid? He's good, yes, but people...he's only, what 15? He's still learning how to deal with pimples and how to talk to girls and yet he's being hailed as the saviour of the franchise by some. Why obsess about a draft pick two years away that, best case scenario, we only have a 25% chance of landing? Seems silly (and a little creepy).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Why do so many Flames fans have a crush on Connor McDavid? He's good, yes, but people...he's only, what 15? He's still learning how to deal with pimples and how to talk to girls and yet he's being hailed as the saviour of the franchise by some. Why obsess about a draft pick two years away that, best case scenario, we only have a 25% chance of landing? Seems silly (and a little creepy).

Why do so many Penguins fans have a crush on Sidney Crosby? He's good, yes, but people...he's only, what 16? He's still learning how to deal with pimples and how to talk to girls and yet he's being hailed as the saviour of the franchise by some. Why obsess about a draft pick two years away that, best case scenario, we only have a 12.5% chance of landing? Seems silly (and a little creepy).

In closing, you must be new here. This board was in love with Monahan at this time last year, coincidentally.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Because if Mr. Robert McKenzie calls him a Generational Talent... that's good enough for me!

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Right now
(1)Backlund
(2)Stajan
(3)Monahan
(4)Knight

So I guess if we got him Monahan would go back to juniors,might be better for his development,if it is a 1/2 year deal at a reasonable price sure

Im losing it... I read .5 year deal, I was like 'You can't sign a guy for half a year... Is that for players that only show up half the time?'

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Why do so many Penguins fans have a crush on Sidney Crosby? He's good, yes, but people...he's only, what 16? He's still learning how to deal with pimples and how to talk to girls and yet he's being hailed as the saviour of the franchise by some. Why obsess about a draft pick two years away that, best case scenario, we only have a 12.5% chance of landing? Seems silly (and a little creepy).

In closing, you must be new here. This board was in love with Monahan at this time last year, coincidentally.

Lol. Not new by a long shot. My point is, is that this franchise is truly screwed if the future can only be saved in two years time by a 15 year old who appears to be the next Crosby.

What do you suggest? Throw the next 164+ games so we can have a shot at McSaviour? You are advocating pissing away Baertchi and Monahan's ELC s - essentially telling them they arent the answer, telling fans not to bother cheering for this team, because we're not going to bother being competitive for the next few years. Destroying the rep of the team in the eyes of FA's (ala Edm).

Suppose that you get your wish. We don't win a game for two years. No one shows up to the game. The Flames are a joke around the league and he city. We have the best chance of winning the lottery, but...we don't. Then what? We'll have pissed away another two years and be no further ahead than we are right now. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

TylerSVT*

Scouts said they would have taken him 1st overall THIS YEAR if he was eligible despite being 2 years younger than every other player.

Yes, he is THAT good.

TylerSVT*

Lol. Not new by a long shot. My point is, is that this franchise is truly screwed if the future can only be saved in two years time by a 15 year old who appears to be the next Crosby.

What do you suggest? Throw the next 164+ games so we can have a shot at McSaviour? You are advocating pissing away Baertchi and Monahan's ELC s - essentially telling them they arent the answer, telling fans not to bother cheering for this team, because we're not going to bother being competitive for the next few years. Destroying the rep of the team in the eyes of FA's (ala Edm).

Suppose that you get your wish. We don't win a game for two years. No one shows up to the game. The Flames are a joke around the league and he city. We have the best chance of winning the lottery, but...we don't. Then what? We'll have pissed away another two years and be no further ahead than we are right now. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Worked out well for the Pens.

Drafted Crosby, make playoffs next year, win cup in 2009, new building, perennial cup favorites.

Yea, must have sucked to be bad for a few years....

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Worked out well for the Pens.

Drafted Crosby, make playoffs next year, win cup in 2009, new building, perennial cup favorites.

Yea, must have sucked to be bad for a few years....

Pittsburgh didn't finish dead last that year. That was after a lockout and every team had a shot at drafting him. They won the lottery. Great strategy for long term stability. Plan on winning the lottery in two years. If finishing dead last guaranteed us McDavid, It'd be easier for me to endorse the tank, but to do that for two years, for a chance at him. I think there are better ways to build.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Lindholm imo, but I'm happy with Mono too.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Listen, I just read this article that a baby literally learned to skate before walking. I believe his name was Frank.

TANK for FRANK, the 2030 NHL draft!!!

** Brought to you by crazy people at HFBoards **

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

What a horrifically terrible and pointless post. No one ever said to a) tank for him. b) lose all our games, or c) not trying to be competitive.

We are PROJECTED to finish near the bottom of the league in 2015. There is nothing wrong with being intrigued by the prospect of drafting the best young player since Crosby.

If you don't like people talking about prospect's you are on the wrong forum. This is Hockeys Future Boards.

Lindholm imo, but I'm happy with Mono too.

Near the end of the season/going into the draft certainly, Lindholm.

At this time last year though, Monahan was projected top-3 with a chance at competing with Mackinnon for #1.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'd love for the Flames to get Grabovski on a deal at 3 years or shorter. Between him and Backlund the Flames would be able to centre a couple of lines that provide shelter for the younger dudes.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Grabo would help the rebuild a lot. Not only would it allow the Flames organization to develop payers comfortably, it would also allow players moved at the deadline for assets strengthening the likelihood of a new core panning out.

I hope Feaster works something out with Grabo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad