Speculation: Flames one of final contenders for Grabovski

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Doesn't that just say they have interest but it is unclear who is still in the mix?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You're trusting a Facebook link...?

Doesn't that just say they have interest but it is unclear who is still in the mix?

Guys, relax. It has hashtags in it. People don't hashtag stuff unless it's completely official and 100% legit.

:sarcasm:

EDIT: Here...

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 22 Jul
Spoke w/Gary Greenstin, agent for Mikhail Grabovski. Said three teams "very interested" in UFA center. Not expecting decision until August.

Doesn't confirm much.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is the mark of a bad source.

At least we know that some guy named Michael is in fact a Leafs fan, and who's also liked by at least 25 000 people on bookface

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Sorry boys my bad. Thought I had something here.

And FWIW the site is pretty good. Nothing I ever read on there hasn't been accurate.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
I honestly don't hate the idea, if it's a short term deal. Grabo has A LOT to prove this year.

Sventastic47

Feb 18, 2013
Vancouver Island
Right now
(1)Backlund
(2)Stajan
(3)Monahan
(4)Knight

So I guess if we got him Monahan would go back to juniors,might be better for his development,if it is a 1/2 year deal at a reasonable price sure

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Right now
(1)Backlund
(2)Stajan
(3)Monahan
(4)Knight

So I guess if we got him Monahan would go back to juniors,might be better for his development,if it is a 1/2 year deal at a reasonable price sure

That's my thinking, too. It's either Grabovski or Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd consider a 1 year, 3.75 million contract. That way we don't need to bring him back, we can trade him at the deadline for draft picks, and he has a year to show the NHL what he's worth. It will also help us not suck this year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would much rather the Flames sign Grabovski to a two or three year deal than rush Monahan because he's the shiny new prospect. It would also allow the Flames the leeway to trade Stajan at the deadline.

However, to make it work, the Flames would need to trade away at least one player on the roster, i.e. Jones, Jackman, Stempniak, or Cammalleri.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If the plan was to trade Stajan I'm fine with inking Grabo to a longer term deal. But I'm also fine with resigning Stajan to a 2 year extension as well.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If the plan was to trade Stajan I'm fine with inking Grabo to a longer term deal. But I'm also fine with resigning Stajan to a 2 year extension as well.

Grabovski is 10 times the player Stajan is.

I'd prefer Grabo at $4M over Stajan at $2M.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No he's really not, at all. He is however more offensively gifted which is why I'd prefer him. But the difference isn't as large as you suggest. This coming from someone who isn't a Stajan fanboy.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
No he's really not, at all. He is however more offensively gifted which is why I'd prefer him. But the difference isn't as large as you suggest. This coming from someone who isn't a Stajan fanboy.

I've followed both since they were 18 and 22 years old respectively.

Grabovski was the best Maple Leafs player consistently for 3 years.

Stajan has never had a stint that resembles anything close to what Mikhail is capable of doing.

You can't compare Stajan to Grabovski.

I hope you get Mikhail. I want him to stay in Canada.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If Monahan isn't ready for this year then I would offer him a 2 year 8 million dollar deal that is front loaded. Hope he bounces back and trade him for a first.

Glencross - Grabo - Cammy
Sven - Backlund - Jones
Hudler - Stajan - Stempniak
Giliardi - Knight - Bouma

At the deadline try to move Grabo, Cammy, Stempniak. Giving us lots of picks for the next draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad