Confirmed with Link: Flames offer veteran forward Cammalleri Contract extension(Cammy still to decide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Dumba is not a offensive dman. We need a dman like Smid, not more offensive Dmen. I would not waste assets on a "smart" player.

Everything I've heard about him has said he's an offensive dman, and that it makes up for the defensive shortcomings in his game. For the record, we have dmen like Smid in the pool, though (Wotherspoon, etc). We just don't have any high-level offensive dmen, that's one of the reasons I would like this trade.

I just feel like it would really fill a need, especially when it looks like we could miss out on Ekblad this year.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Everything I've heard about him has said he's an offensive dman, and that it makes up for the defensive shortcomings in his game. For the record, we have dmen like Smid in the pool, though (Wotherspoon, etc). We just don't have any high-level offensive dmen, that's one of the reasons I would like this trade.

I just feel like it would really fill a need, especially when it looks like we could miss out on Ekblad this year.

I agree with you somewhat. Now that I think about it, Wotherspoon type players is what I would like. Sieloff is the closest thing we have to Smid. I agree, we need a blue chip offensive dman, I just don't think Dumba would be the ideal dman to go after.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
As per Brian Burke in the first intermission of the game today, Cammalleri was made an offer they felt was fair, but Cammalleri has decided he can get a better offer once free agency opens.

That third round pick is looking better, although I completely understand the reasoning behind not underselling our assets.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As per Brian Burke in the first intermission of the game today, Cammalleri was made an offer they felt was fair, but Cammalleri has decided he can get a better offer once free agency opens.

That third round pick is looking better, although I completely understand the reasoning behind not underselling our assets.

Meh. I was mad at the time but Burke is right, setting a precedent was the right move.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
we-landed-on-the-moon-jim-carey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

Aug 3, 2010

I think it's because he's been scoring, actually. He knows he's raised his own stock so therefore he has a better chance of getting a decent offer in FA.

If he had gone cold post-deadline, we'd be seeing a signing before July 1st.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Meh, if we lose Cammy we keep Huds and insert Sven into the lineup. Sven will be a different player next year, the entitlement will be gone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I think Cammy is slightly better than Hudler, he seems to be more vocal and a good leader so I'm fine if he stays.

That said, Hudler is injured less, gets paid less, comes from a great organization and is great teammate in his own right. I don't think there's room for both, I'm happy with keeping one. Also, if both JG and Sven do well, Hudler may be dealt the following season at the deadline. You need top 6 players, playing in the top 6, and if these guys are our future, we need to have spots for them.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Hudler makes a lot more sense to keep than Cammalleri for the sole reason that Cammalleri has never played his off wing for any extended period of time, and the Flames are weaker on RW than LW.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I think Cammy is going to overvalue himself especially since he has been playing well. But he is still a one dimensional player on the wrong side of 30. Can't see many teams offering him a big contract, Calgary is one of the few teams that has the space to offer him big money. I bet Burke offered something in the 4-5 million range for 1 or two years.

As for not getting anything for him at the deadline it does hurt but obviously the offers weren't to great. You gotta think some team was hoping to get Cammy at a smaller price considering the amount of goal scoring wingers available. I think Anaheim was trying to get him considering they got rid of Penner and never added anyone.

JulianHopper*

What is the offer Burke has on the table for Cammalleri? More than likely not the 4 year $32M I suggested earlier this season.

Brian Burke also said tonight that the Flames have to get bigger and stronger, does he not see Mike Cammalleri as part of the future and gave him a low offer?

If the offer is 3 years then Mike Cammalleri should take it and show some loyalty to the Flames. Were there any other teams willing to take his contract after Montreal?

It just looks to me now that Mike Cammalleri wants to go elsewhere. Which is fine but does he want to win a cup or just cash in?

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I think Cammy is going to overvalue himself especially since he has been playing well. But he is still a one dimensional player on the wrong side of 30. Can't see many teams offering him a big contract, Calgary is one of the few teams that has the space to offer him big money. I bet Burke offered something in the 4-5 million range for 1 or two years.

As for not getting anything for him at the deadline it does hurt but obviously the offers weren't to great. You gotta think some team was hoping to get Cammy at a smaller price considering the amount of goal scoring wingers available. I think Anaheim was trying to get him considering they got rid of Penner and never added anyone.

The day of the trade deadline I heard an interview on the radio with the Winnipeg GM. He said that there were about a dozen deals that didn't get done that day, because everyone was waiting for a decision on one player who was ultimately never moved. (They speculated, but wouldn't confirm, it was Kesler). He said that with about 10 minutes to go until the deadline, this player was pulled from trade talks. That left about half a dozen teams scrambling to put together deals they'd been working on but only a few went through. He also speculated that's why Moulson and Vanek got the low returns they did.

I'm guessing Burke got a third rounder offered for Cammy at the last minute, but turned it down.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What makes you say this? I haven't seen or heard anything that tells me he wants out.

Burke was on SNO last night and said that they had made what they felt was a fair offer to Cammy, but that he thought he could get more on the open market.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Burke was on SNO last night and said that they had made what they felt was a fair offer to Cammy, but that he thought he could get more on the open market.

Missed that part of the interview. Oh well, I guess we'll see. Maybe he wont get what he's looking for on the open market.

JulianHopper*

What makes you say this? I haven't seen or heard anything that tells me he wants out.

Just the way he talks in interviews and his body language. If Cammalleri does like it and wants to stay here he's not happy with the contact that's been offered.

JulianHopper*

Flames must have given another offer to Mike Cammalleri as it sounds like there is a good chance he will be re-signing with the Flames.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Nah, not worth letting Cammy go for a Third Rounder; I still am behind Burke on this thinking.
He's worth more having around for another 2 months to teach kids work ethic and lead by example. That Third rounder has such a small percentage chance of ever making it the show, let alone be influential.

Saying that, if Cammy helps out get out of the bottom five, I'll regret what I said ;)
Those damn Canes need to start winning along with Calgary... because I want a shot at at least Leon and not have to settle for Ritchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad