Confirmed with Link: Flames offer veteran forward Cammalleri Contract extension(Cammy still to decide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444650

Mike Cammalleri may be staying with the Calgary Flames.

Cammalleri confirmed on Tuesday that general manager Brian Burke had offered him a contract, while Burke announced earlier in the day that an offer had been made.

It it is up to Cammy to accept or not.

Integrate this in the other Cammy thread if need need. Otherwise if I was the OP I would have made an edit to it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good negotiation tactics by Burke. Doing everything he can to make GMs aware that they aren't going to get anyone cheap.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Maybe this is a way for Burke to send a message to the players that tanking is not an option?

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Not sure how i feel about this. Not a big fan of Cammy, but if we where not offered a good return it is better to lock him up then to lose him. Just pray Burke did not offer him a no trade clause.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
If it's a three year or less deal, I'm fine with it. You have to keep some good players around, and reach the floor. If the value was under a first round pick, it makes more sense to keep him. A second rounder likely won't end up as good a player as Cammalleri, and if it isn't a really good prospect, same thing. Getting a second rounder and a meh prospect doesn't really help the team now or in the future.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If it's a three year or less deal, I'm fine with it. You have to keep some good players around, and reach the floor. If the value was under a first round pick, it makes more sense to keep him. A second rounder likely won't end up as good a player as Cammalleri, and if it isn't a really good prospect, same thing. Getting a second rounder and a meh prospect doesn't really help the team now or in the future.

This is true. The Flames aren't short second tier prospects. But its also a matter of stacking the deck. If only 10% of the Flames prospects pan out to their potential, having 100 prospects results in 9 more NHLers than you would get if you had only 10 prospects.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
This is true. The Flames aren't short second tier prospects. But its also a matter of stacking the deck. If only 10% of the Flames prospects pan out to their potential, having 100 prospects results in 9 more NHLers than you would get if you had only 10 prospects.

While I do agree to an extent, you got to keep some of your good players. We can try to trade guys like Stempniak for an extra third rounder, or something. If we had more decent players, I'd say sure to trading Cammy, but we don't really have anyone to replace him. If we trade anyone, I'd rather it be Wideman, because at least we have Brodie, Gio and Russell.

But my main guess is the offers weren't up to snuff for Cammaller to make the move worthwhile, so Burke is trying to sign him. If he can't sign him to terms he like,s maybe he will pull the trigger anyways

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
While I do agree to an extent, you got to keep some of your good players. We can try to trade guys like Stempniak for an extra third rounder, or something. If we had more decent players, I'd say sure to trading Cammy, but we don't really have anyone to replace him. If we trade anyone, I'd rather it be Wideman, because at least we have Brodie, Gio and Russell.

But my main guess is the offers weren't up to snuff for Cammaller to make the move worthwhile, so Burke is trying to sign him. If he can't sign him to terms he like,s maybe he will pull the trigger anyways

For sure. It would be pretty dumb to trade Cammy for a prospect that we hope turns into a Mike Cammalleri-type of player.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Good negotiation tactics by Burke. Doing everything he can to make GMs aware that they aren't going to get anyone cheap.

This. Worst case scenario we keep a proven top 6 player as we continue forward. Best case scenario his trade value increases/does not decrease and we get a good package coming back.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sign him to a 1 year extension and do this again next year. Obviously the offers have not been good enough to make a trade worthwhile.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
vader_NOOOO.jpg

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I wouldn't pay him over 4.5. He certainly hasn't played good enough lately to be paid higher than that. Especially with the injury plagued season. He's gonna be tough to trade for good value and I'm not so sure worthy of a large contract.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Absolutely a rope a dope by Burke. Says to other GMs that this is a good enough player to want to hold onto. Just makes him worth more honestly; especially when Cammy says he loves Calgary.

Great move. He won't resign.

Sep 12, 2012
My guess is Mike will ask for more than Burke is willing to pay, forcing the deadline deal, or barring that, he goes to UFA.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I'd argue that Stempniak is equally as useful to this team as Cammalleri, if not moreso. Cammalleri is a soft minutes scorer. Stempniak isn't as good offensively, but he's a better possession player, better fore/backchecker, and seems to do well in tougher minutes. And Cammalleri will get more on the trade market because of his scoring ability so he makes a better trade piece.

fallsviewafro*

Sign him to a 1 year extension and do this again next year. Obviously the offers have not been good enough to make a trade worthwhile.

I'd say so. I'd rather hang on to him and have him around the young guys if his trade value isn't there.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Id rather trade him now, sign him in the summer. If he really wants to play here, he'll take what we offer.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really hope he doesn't re-sign. With Hudler, Stajan, Backlund, Glencross, we have a decent amount of veterans. Plenty of guys in the AHL who will likely be potentially stepping up, and plenty of UFA's available.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
I know it's pretty much unheard of in the NHL but it COULD also be an attempt to sign-and-trade Cammy to up his value to certain teams. I know several GM's have said they have no interest in acquiring a pure rental while others would prefer not to carry salary over to next year for salary cap reasons. But if Burke/Cammy came to a tentative agreement on an extension it would allow Burke the flexibility to pitch Cammy as either a pure rental OR with a signed extension, whichever maximizes his value. Like I said, I know it pretty much doesn't happen ever in the NHL but if there's anyone I can see trying it, it's Burke.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Sign & trade was the first thing that popped into my mind, to be honest.

It could be why Cammalleri is still thinking about it - deciding whether to basically accept the trade long term to a different team.

The weird thing is how open both Burke & Squid have been. You usually don't hear it directly from the GM and player involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce