Proposal: Flames/Leafs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's never stopped them before
True............
Who ever is playing horrible, they just off them, and spend that cash......Lou showed them how to do that. lol
We all know they don't need to trade for a anything, do they?

It's never stopped them before
True............
Who ever is playing horrible, they just off them, and spend that cash......Lou showed them how to do that. lol
We all know they don't need to trade for a anything, do they?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
For knies retaining for a few years could work. Decent player on a cheap contract
Sell them separately for guys who aren't playing yet. I still think Dallas goes hard after one of Hanifin or Tanev. Vancouver I think would pay a 2nd and 3rd for Tanev if we can't get the 1st. Stack those picks. Knies is a nice piece, but taking back Samsonov and still having the 3 headed goalie is a bad idea. Markstrom at 50% should bring back more than a cap dump and Knies.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Sell them separately for guys who aren't playing yet. I still think Dallas goes hard after one of Hanifin or Tanev. Vancouver I think would pay a 2nd and 3rd for Tanev if we can't get the 1st. Stack those picks. Knies is a nice piece, but taking back Samsonov and still having the 3 headed goalie is a bad idea. Markstrom at 50% should bring back more than a cap dump and Knies.
A decent rookie is worth a lot more than a second and third

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Markstrom @50%
Tanev @50%

for

Matthew Knies
2024 1st Round Pick
Samsonov (salary purposes)

Allows Toronto to potentially go "All in" this year by shoring up their Defence and Goaltending. Allows Calgary to get younger with a good prospect and a 1st round pick which will ultimately end up being in the 20's.
I don't think any owner would retain 50%for 2.5 years

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Any trade with Toronto I would want Minten and/or Cowan. Toronto has bent Calgary over in two blockbusters. Time to pay the piper

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I look at it this way:

If the Leafs feel like the roster is that of a contender, but goaltending is holding them back, then I think it is a waste of a year in the contention window to not go all-in and fix the glaring weaknesses. The band can't be kept together forever, and you only have so many kicks at the can.

If the Leafs aren't a good goalie and defencemen away from plugging the big holes and becoming LEGITIMATE contenders, then there is zero reason to do this trade. Save the assets and hope for internal growth, and then spend assets when you are a hole or two away from actually contending.

Not commenting on the value of the trade. I just think that some teams make too small of moves hedging their bets when they are contenders and just absolutely waste a year in which it could have been their year, and others throw away assets trying to plug 2 holes and not realizing that they probably have 4 more and are nowhere near being a contender. I have no idea if the Leafs are a Marksrom and a Tanev away from competing or not.

Oh, and I read someone posting that the Flames won't retain - they will. They are even looking at acting like middle-men. Want to retain on multiple years (Markstrom, for example) they will do that, but it will cost more, that's all. As for Markstrom - at no point this season did the team approach him about waiving his NMC. No team have offered a good enough package for Conroy to even consider approaching Markstrom with the request. They haven't gauged his interest. I think they will do that during the all-star break (or after), but as of yet, Markstrom has not been approached at all about waiving.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00